IGNORED

My Swing (Ernest Jones)

Ernest Jones
Note: This thread is 2910 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Thanks mchepp.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by mchepp

OTT is debateable. You are too steep at A5. You then let you right arm go wild, straighten too much, and save it by folding in the right knee. I think mvmac's drill to prevent folding in that right knee is a good place to start.

Could you (or anyone) direct me to this drill? I searched around and couldn't find it. Thanks

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Thanks!

Yours in earnest, Jason.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone comment on this impact position? Sorry for the bad pic, not much room for camera placement... This is a screen shot taken from a 420 fps video, pretty sure it's within a frame or so of impact.

I'm wondering if my lead shoulder is too high?

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Can anyone comment on this impact position? Sorry for the bad pic, not much room for camera placement... This is a screen shot taken from a 420 fps video, pretty sure it's within a frame or so of impact.

I'm wondering if my lead shoulder is too high?

Bit hard to tell from just that pic but has your head moved towards the target from it's address position?

It looks like you've just swayed forward in an attempt to get some forward shaft lean.

Originally Posted by Mordan

Bit hard to tell from just that pic but has your head moved towards the target from it's address position?

It looks like you've just swayed forward in an attempt to get some forward shaft lean.

Yes it drifts back about 2-3 inches at the very top of the BS and is about 2 inches forward at impact, I'm working on that. I don't think the 2 inches is too bad but I am working on eliminating or reducing it.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Ernestjones needs to learn a correct weight shift,the baseball drill works best,where you move your left foot back next to your rear foot on the back swing then move it back to the original address setup as you swing down and thru.It is a bit tough especially when your weight has been going in the wrong direction, but stick with it.

Can you put a full swing video up - 60fps to 240fps would be ideal.  Even if you are just swinging at air... Put something like a piece of tape down where the ball would be.  No need to hit a real ball.  I just want to see your address posture and look at Key #1.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Can you put a full swing video up - 60fps to 240fps would be ideal.  Even if you are just swinging at air... Put something like a piece of tape down where the ball would be.  No need to hit a real ball.  I just want to see your address posture and look at Key #1.

Sure, I'll post the one I took the screen shot from. Unfortunately, I have very little room for the camera but you can see my head and hip action quite easily. I'll be adding more video once the snow melts and I can take better video.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Hitting a Callaway HX foam practice ball with a 9i.

Don't mind the PJ's, they're clean(ish).

Thanks in advance for taking a look, sorry about the crappy camera position but it's better than practicing with snow pants and a parka on!

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Your shoulders need to turn on more of a vertical circle.  And you need to hinge your left wrist a pinch faster.... Why do I say this?

1.) Left wrist could hinge a pinch faster as at A2 - your hands (handle) is quite higher than it was at A1 (address).  By the time you reach A2, your handle is higher than at address.  Try to get the clubshaft parrallel to the ground a pinch faster.  I also believe this leads to the second point that your left shoulder isn't turning down (vertically) enough - also why your handle is higher at A2 than it probably should be.

2.) Your head tips back (away from the target) at A3.xxx (left arm past parallel) to A.4 (top).  The reason I believe is that your shoulders are turning too horizontally - and thus you're not getting enough extension.  The head which is centered moves off the ball slightly.

3.) Your follow through looks jacked up - but I wouldn't worry too much about that yet - I'm guessing that has more to do with the cramped space to swing?

But from A1 to A7 - it looks pretty solid.  I can see you are working hard - and I like what I'm seeing.  Pretty good pattern.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Your shoulders need to turn on more of a vertical circle.  And you need to hinge your left wrist a pinch faster.... Why do I say this?

1.) Left wrist could hinge a pinch faster as at A2 - your hands (handle) is quite higher than it was at A1 (address).  By the time you reach A2, your handle is higher than at address.  Try to get the clubshaft parrallel to the ground a pinch faster.  I also believe this leads to the second point that your left shoulder isn't turning down (vertically) enough - also why your handle is higher at A2 than it probably should be.

2.) Your head tips back (away from the target) at A3.xxx (left arm past parallel) to A.4 (top).  The reason I believe is that your shoulders are turning too horizontally - and thus you're not getting enough extension.  The head which is centered moves off the ball slightly.

3.) Your follow through looks jacked up - but I wouldn't worry too much about that yet - I'm guessing that has more to do with the cramped space to swing?

But from A1 to A7 - it looks pretty solid.  I can see you are working hard - and I like what I'm seeing.  Pretty good pattern.

First off, thanks a lot for taking the time. I feel that I'm going in the right direction but it's nice to have someone check in once in a while.

I totally see where you're coming from on all those points, I was kinda going to ignore the head movement for now but now I see how it's linked to some other stuff I need to clean up so it's back on the front burner.

Question - do you think the faster wrist hinge will somehow lead to a better shoulder rotation or do I need to address these issues individually?

Followthrough is definitely a little contrived right now, combination of working hard on keeping my wedge and not wanting to bash the crap outta my ceiling! Funny, the wife asked me when I was going to get around to finishing the ceilings in the basement, I told her, "when I'm down to a 12 or so." She wasn't impressed.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Ha!  Love the comment about the wife and the ceiling.  I don't think my wife would be as patient as yours?  When she wants something... It's 'Get it done now!' kind of thing.

First, the camera angle is kind of difficult to see everything clearly, so I'm just giving you some things that could be cleaned up based off of what I can actually see.  Check this out:

Go to A2 and what do you see?  I see a few things...

1.) Your hands are far past the trail leg. I think this is due to your shoulders turning too horizontal - and possibly not enough waist bend at A1 - you could be standing taller - but hard to tell without a DTL view.

2.) Your right elbow is off your torso.... Look at how tight Mac's elbow is at A2.

The wrist hinge could be fine - I wouldn't worry about that now that I've looked closer.  Work on the right elbow - and turning the shoulders more vertically.

I'm thinking I need to feel more left tilt going up and back, sound right?

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

I'm thinking I need to feel more left tilt going up and back, sound right?

Yeah, you need more extension... But you need to get the shoulders turning on the correct circle/arch first.  Getting the left shoulder down more will help extend that right side which will help with the extension piece.

I don't want to give you too much - but the way you load the left leg could be an issue too.  Work on getting to A2 with the hands and elbow locations highlighted.  Then we can go to A3+++

Gotcha. And thanks again

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Well, video sure can be humbling!!

I think I've got something good going with my trail elbow at P2 and I've manage to steady my head quite a bit better on the backswing but man, my head is transitioning forward BIG TIME on the downswing. Contact is all over the place right now, fat, thin, TOPPED lol, but I gather that is normal when making changes so I won't sweat it.

Gotta keep working on that! I'll have all evening to try and find the right feels to keep it back.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Note: This thread is 2910 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!