IGNORED

My Swing (Ernest Jones)

Ernest Jones
Note: This thread is 2916 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have always had a tendency to get the club head inside my hands at A2, I'm thinking that working on getting it outside my hands at A2 would be a good place to start for trying to get myself a little steeper on the way back but I'm really just spitballing here. Maybe a little bit of Ricky Fowler on the take-away? Anyway, at least I have something new to work on here as I was clearly at an impasse.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have always had a tendency to get the club head inside my hands at A2, I'm thinking that working on getting it outside my hands at A2 would be a good place to start for trying to get myself a little steeper on the way back but I'm really just spitballing here. Maybe a little bit of Ricky Fowler on the take-away? Anyway, at least I have something new to work on here as I was clearly at an impasse.

Hmmm…or maybe think "Right Thumb Up" at A3.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Does this look about right?

This is exactly what I am working towards in my Evolvr lessons this winter.  My swing has the club too steep at A5.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I doubt what I'm about to say will help at all, but I might as well throw this out there. And let this be known that what I'm about to say is purely a feel tip so the chances of this helping even a little bit are exactly slim to none, but I wanted to share it just in case.

When I feel like I'm cocking the club up with just my left hand, I get a really shallow backswing and a slow cocking rate of the club.

When I feel like I'm cocking the club with my right and left hand together, particularly the right hand, I get a much, much steeper shaft plane earlier, and the picture looks ten times better.

The only reason I'm mentioning this is because I often don't think about using my right hand to cock the club. I think this is because I often assume that only the left hand should hinge or something? I don't really know.

Anyway, I doubt this helps because it's a pure feel tip obviously, but feeling like I'm using my right hand more (my dominant hand) to hinge the club up actually makes the picture look better.

I'm going to bet this was a useless tip, but I felt like I should at least mention it just in case it actually did help in some way....

Obviously disregard everything I'm saying though because you have your own priorities, and I totally respect that.

OK, I'm backing away slowly now :-)

Constantine

• Administrator

Not useless. We'll sometimes have people separate their right index finger a little bit to act more like a "trigger finger" to help "pull up" on the clubhead end of the grip to help cock the club sooner.

Of course, that's in coordination with not rolling the forearms too much too early. You can cock the club up quickly but if you roll it even more quickly you'll still be too shallow. :) It takes a LOT of rolling, but it can be done, believe-you-me.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Not useless. We'll sometimes have people separate their right index finger a little bit to act more like a "trigger finger" to help "pull up" on the clubhead end of the grip to help cock the club sooner.

Of course, that's in coordination with not rolling the forearms too much too early. You can cock the club up quickly but if you roll it even more quickly you'll still be too shallow. :) It takes a LOT of rolling, but it can be done, believe-you-me.

OK. Thanks, Erik. Yea, James used that with me for about an hour once during a clinic and it helped.

Last thing I'll mention about my own swing.... I apologize... but I just wanted to show the difference in my A3 when I "feel" my right hand is helping the clubhead ascend in the backswing.

Anyway.... I guess my point is that educated experimentation with different feels is really fun when one finds a feel that actually makes the picture look better. So maybe the feel I suggested wouldn't work, but there's obviously one out there that'd work great for you. You'll just have to find what that is.

And Erik and Mike and James are all really good at taking stabs at feels that may work for us.

Constantine

Thanks guys. Got a decent start on it tonight, got some promising stuff just feeling like the club is standing vertically at A3. Played around with quicker hinging too which helped but it was too much to think about so after a while I just focused on the vertical sensation. @JetFan1983 I hear ya on the right side stuff. I try to keep some awareness of my right wrist in transition because it makes me more aware of my trail elbow but definitely less conscious of it a the start of the backswing. I'll check it out.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Yea, the last thing I want to do is cloud your thoughts with more ideas here, especially if they're deemed unnecessary to your progress. I'm not sure why, but I just felt compelled to chime in here with some "feel" related talk. It's a slippery slope of course... but certainly it's the bridge between desired mechanics and actual mechanics... if that makes any sense.

Anywho.... your Erie Adventure can't come soon enough! And you're doing great work, so keep it up. Plus, you're going to be so relieved to have these guys watch you in person while you practice.

And evolvr will become that much better as far as quick hit communication goes. At least, that was my experience.

Constantine

Yuck. This is gonna be hard. Basically trying to feel like I'm "thumbs up" at A3 with a little bit of a quicker hinge on the way to A2. Feels horrible lol.

This swing was "ok" I guess but I'm coming way OTT on a lot of them, getting steeper but tending to stay steeper. Going to be a real struggle getting this, feels like I've lost all the good stuff I had found up till now. I'm sure it'll come back and be the better for it. I'm kinda glad it's winter, it would be even harder to commit to this during the playing season.

Have a hard time figuring out how to be steep AND deep at the same time. Obviously this is REALLY early on in the process of attacking this piece so I'm not really surprised by how much I suck at the moment.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Steeper at A3 but not very deep at all so even if I get a good shaft angle coming down I'm still not very deep at A5 and end up tipping out by the time I hit A6. Yuck.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

I think one of your feels is the body turning the arms going back right?  I could very well be wrong but you look a little bit like you are losing that connection a bit in trying this.  The body kind of stops turning while the arms start to manipulate the club angle and you can lose the deep part.  I think you can keep the sensation of your body turning the arms going back and just manipulate the wrists a little bit to alter what the club is doing with the feel that @JetFan1983 is talking about.  It might make it more simple, then again I might be smoking something.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

I think one of your feels is the body turning the arms going back right?  I could very well be wrong but you look a little bit like you are losing that connection a bit in trying this.  The body kind of stops turning while the arms start to manipulate the club angle and you can lose the deep part.  I think you can keep the sensation of your body turning the arms going back and just manipulate the wrists a little bit to alter what the club is doing with the feel that @JetFan1983 is talking about.  It might make it more simple, then again I might be smoking something.

That could very well be it, my backswing definitely feels all ****ed up right now. [SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]I took the day off today to go see the notary and check on my dad's house. If I'm not a total emotional train wreck when I get home...[/SPOILER] I'll spend some time just working on my backswing and making sure it feels right before moving on to anything beyond A3.5 or so.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

• Administrator

In an airport but this seems about right. Your body's turn is solely responsible for ALL the depth you need. Right elbow and wrist just serve to elevate (roughly).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

In an airport but this seems about right. Your body's turn is solely responsible for ALL the depth you need. Right elbow and wrist just serve to elevate (roughly).

Took me FOREVER to get this feel down. As someone who's created depth by my hands in the past, this is a tough cookie to crack. Especially with how short the swing feels when the depth is created the rotation only. Still something I work on.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

500 post celebration. :banana: Thanks to everyone for their on going help. Your comments are very much appreciated and I've learned a ton.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Spent two hours on this this morning. I'm stumped. Tough change to make and it's f***ing with everything else in my swing. Seems sooooo simple but I just can't f***ing do it :mad:

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Spent two hours on this this morning. I'm stumped. Tough change to make and it's f***ing with everything else in my swing. Seems sooooo simple but I just can't f***ing do it

May I make a recommendation?  Maybe you should shut er' down, clear your mind and wait for Erie.  Maybe make a few swings here and there but not get too in depth with anything until then.  I have a really hard time with what you are trying to do as well.  It is a tough one.  I have always taken the club back under plane even slightly now.  I have not been able to figure that one out, but I guess I stopped trying a while ago as well as it was not a priority.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

May I make a recommendation?  Maybe you should shut er' down, clear your mind and wait for Erie.  Maybe make a few swings here and there but not get too in depth with anything until then.  I have a really hard time with what you are trying to do as well.  It is a tough one.  I have always taken the club back under plane even slightly now.  I have not been able to figure that one out, but I guess I stopped trying a while ago as well as it was not a priority.

You're probably right, but that is a LOOONG time to go without my obsession!

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Note: This thread is 2916 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!