IGNORED

Joe Paterno and Penn State

dhanson
Note: This thread is 4286 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by shades9323

Every word. Didn't see anything about being Joe Pa's fault. Could you post that up?

Except now it's proven that the first reported incident happened in 1994 and then again 1998 followed by Sandusky retiring in 1999. You can't tell me that Paterno was never informed or heard about this prior to 2002. Paterno legally did nothing wrong but it's just hard for me to believe he would put his reputation at risk unless he was ok with them trying to cover it up. In my opinion Paterno could have gone out a hero but now he goes out a villain because of one phone call. As for the college kids chanting outside his house to them it's just legally he did nothing wrong so it's it's not his fault.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

We all agree completely removed from Paterno's exact situation and playing Monday morning QB Paterno could have done more.  Why he didn't could be; legally it wasn't his responsibility and he wanted to remain distanced from it, he was in denial that a friend and coach of his could do something so disgusting, he was instructed to stay out of it by his superiors, he or his program was threatened (DA went missing)

I sat in traffic for 3 hours today listening to sports radio and the only thing I heard were sports personalities calling for Paterno's immediate resignation or firing.  The guy already said he was retiring at the end of the season, no one knows all the facts and I don't hear them rallying for Sandusky's wifes head, McQueary's head or anyones elses head for that matter.  It's an all out witch hunt IMO.

Originally Posted by clubchamp

Except now it's proven that the first reported incident happened in 1994 and then again 1998 followed by Sandusky retiring in 1999. You can't tell me that Paterno was never informed or heard about this prior to 2002. Paterno legally did nothing wrong but it's just hard for me to believe he would put his reputation at risk unless he was ok with them trying to cover it up. In my opinion Paterno could have gone out a hero but now he goes out a villain because of one phone call. As for the college kids chanting outside his house to them it's just legally he did nothing wrong so it's it's not his fault.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My skills a tad off.  Previous post a picture of JoePa from his first year at Penn State.......Here's my take.

PA had a massive child abuse ring in Luzerne County that involved Judges, Lawyers and many state workers....That was a year or two ago. The Jerry Sandusky situation comes on the heels of that so the state wants to do everything possible to show they are aggressive and looking out for children......

Back in 1999 when Jerry Abruptly retired it was spun as he was advised he wouldn't be the head coach as JoePa was not planning on retiring any time soon.  Jerry was a god in Happy Valley.  Everyone wanted him to take over....You could hear chants at PSU games of "Joe Must GO" this was thru most of the 90's....So when Jerry retired it was a shock....Fast Forward to now....

It comes out that Jerry was caught in a child abuse situation in 1998.  It was investigated only by PSU campus police. Maybe this is why Jerry retired so quickly. NO WAY NO HOW JOEPA didn't know about this. 2002 McQuery as Grad Assistant sees Jerry in shower with a boy....He tells Dad, JoePa.  JoePa tells his boss the AD.  AD tells Pres.....Nothing is done....Nothing is done.

Meantime Jerry is running a charity for outreach of at risk boys. He is an inspirational speaker and is hired often for speechs....The state started investigating Jerry in 2009....Why so long to get to this point? There are many unanswered questions.  JoePa was viewed as a legend by many.  Many closer viewed him as JoePa takes care of JoePa. Why stay till you are 84? Literally for close to 20 years he has been that old dog you have....You love your dog. You want the best for him.  BUT you just can't put him down....

My guess is the Board of Trustees will clean house. The Pres....GONE....AD.....GONE.....JoePa has already said he'll leave at end of year....That's his decision!!!The Board of Trustees my view will toss him sooner.

Matt Millen just said on Sportscenter, "the more we peel back the onion in the coming days, the worse this story is going to get."

My gut feeling is that he will be right about that.

Constantine

Why couln't Millen be right when he was GM'ing the Lions!

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

Matt Millen just said on Sportscenter, "the more we peel back the onion in the coming days, the worse this story is going to get."

Originally Posted by shades9323

Why couln't Millen be right when he was GM'ing the Lions!

Quote:

First time in my life I agree with Matt MIllen, I promise!

Somewhere Charles Rodgers is starting a Sandtrap profile to thumbs up your post.

Constantine

• Administrator

Holy crap, they are talking about the few good men scene I posted on Mike and MIke right now!

It's a good scene and I think it applies nicely.

Are they giving you credit? Did you post that scene somewhere and they're talking about how appropriate it was? Or did they just also think of that scene?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by dhanson

what does everyone think of this development? it looks like Paterno is on his way out, at least according to sources. do you agree with Penn State's decision?

i personally agree with the decision (albeit a few years late it seems). Joe seems to have done the bare minimum to avoid a larger scandal and legal implication.

This is a problem that happens a lot in our society, way more often than not.  We saw it most recently with Michael Jackson.  People get raised up on a pedestal, too big to fail, everyone surrounding them can't believe it when they see a huge flaw, loves the limelight more than the person, or whatever.  There were so many people in the Penn State case that could have brought the issue out into the light to address it but didn't.  Same thing with Tiger.  I'm sure a lot of his friends could have tried to reach out to him, maybe some did.  More than likely, everyone just tried to sweep it under the rug and ignore it or hide it.  Mankind is not equipped to deal with shame.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Originally Posted by iacas

Quote:

Holy crap, they are talking about the few good men scene I posted on Mike and MIke right now!

It's a good scene and I think it applies nicely.

Are they giving you credit? Did you post that scene somewhere and they're talking about how appropriate it was? Or did they just also think of that scene?

I should have worded my post more appropriately i.e. better grammar. Someone sent in an email, quoting the scene, and they solemnly talked about how it fit the situation. Mike Greenberg looked like he was fighting back some emotion as he read the line that LCpl. Dawson says to close the clip.

Constantine

Originally Posted by rustyredcab

"Tell that to the boys who were sodomized, fondled, orally raped, and otherwise assaulted since 2002."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shades9323

How is that Paterno's fault?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You ask this AFTER reading the Grand Jury Report?
Geesh!

Cliff's notes version:
--A graduate asst. witnesses a 60 yr old man engaged in sex with a 10 year old boy in a PSU shower
--Same grown man (grad asst.) runs to tell his daddy adn then tell Paterno
--Paterno tells his boss (he's legally covered now)
--then Paterno does NOTHING for 9+ years as more young boys are molested by one of his colleagues
--meanwhile PSU tells the molester 'don't bring anymore underage kids to school'  What in the world does that tell you?
--meanwhile molester hangs out on campus and continues his activity with a charity for young people,,,what does Paterno do?  Nothing.

Yeah,,,he didn't witness it, his bosses didnt do anything to stop it...but neither did Paterno.

Paterno is (was)the man on that campus adn you can be sure he enjoys that status,  But with status and power come responsibility and he shirked it. With his "success with honeor" mantra"  don't you think he could have had a little more "honor"?

Did you read his statement?  'the BOT should not waste one more minute on my status'....'I will do everything possible for this University'...blah blah blah.  That IS the problem in his own words.  He doesnt seem to think he is beholden to the BOT and his stance on doing everything for the University is the same attitude that allowed a molester to hang around young people for 9+ years AFTER Paterno knew about it.

Ask yourself this question:
--Garduate assst. comes to Paterno and tells him I saw Sandusky molesting a 10 yr. old boy in the shower,,,and oh, by the way it was your nephew, grandson, etc.  you think Paterno's silence would have been the same?  Me neither.

In the bag:
Cleveland Launcher 9.5º Driver
Cleveland 4W 17º
Mizuno MX Hybrid 20ºMizuno MX-200's 4 - GCleveland G10 56º SWOddysey 2ball with line Putter

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I agree 100% about needing to protect kids, but you don't know that Paterno didn't follow up with the Curley and Schultz and was told by them that the situation was being handled and they would let him know if anything happens.   I don't follow college football either and really have no opinion on PSU overall.  What I see is a coach who has a lot on his plate being condemned for not doing more when we have no idea what conversations he had with Curley and Schultz.

Paterno was the middle man, McQueary was the one who saw it and Curley and Schultz were the ones that had legal obligations to address it.  Paterno is running a football program among other things for the university.  If his bosses told him it's being taken care of, why is he going to escalate it?  The outcome after it was all said and done is Sandusky agreed it was wrong to shower naked with the boys and agreed not to do it anymore.  Where were the police, Sandusky's wife who was helping him adopt young boys and hosting these boys sleeping over their house?  Where was McQueary and the janitors when they witnessed these kids being molested?  Where's the DA that disappeared?  How about the H.S. principal and wrestling coach that told Sandusky he couldn't volunteer at the school anymore after witnessing questionable behavior.

If you want to assign blame you can send some Joe's way but there are a number of other people that are far more deserving but in this country the media can't pass at an opportunity to destroy a mans legacy.

Horse hockey.

Dude aint too busy to follwow up on a child being raped.

Let's just change the players here:

--NEwtgolf is the head man in charge at the widget factory.  John Doe comes to him and says 'hey, I just saw one of our 60 yr. old colleagues naked in teh shower fondling, etc a 10 yr. old boy.

--Newtgolf goes to his boss adn his boss says.  We'll take care of it.  Meanwhile, the molesting colleague continues to hang out at the widget factory with otehr young boys and 9+ years go by and nothing happens.

--You telling me you too busy to call the police?

In the bag:
Cleveland Launcher 9.5º Driver
Cleveland 4W 17º
Mizuno MX Hybrid 20ºMizuno MX-200's 4 - GCleveland G10 56º SWOddysey 2ball with line Putter

As Matt Millen pointed out this onion has a lot more layers...Jerry was revered and idolized in Happy Valley.  The people that were close to him and in charge made the wrong choice of protecting the reputation of their friend vs talking to the police.  It will come out that Jerry was being professionally helped, JoePa as much as said this. They trusted that Jerry had changed his ways.  He didn't.  When you look at Jerry outside of this disease he had.....He was a great Dad, Husband, Philanthroper, The reason why Penn State was Linebacker U............But in the end he was really only a child molester.  So very sad. Thoughts and Prayers for the kids............

Quote:

Every word. Didn't see anything about being Joe Pa's fault. Could you post that up?

Everyone who had knowlegde of this situation has some fault and responsibility for every young boy who was abused by this sick pervert after this incident.  JoePa is one of many.

And as more information and testimony comes out, the more we learn that JoePa knew of other incidents.

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

It's a moot point now since the media got their pound of flesh and Paterno was fired but...

You're making a number of assumptions that may or may not have happened at PSU.    It isn't clear exactly what McQueary said to Paterno - he definitely didn't say he saw a 10 year old being raped by Sandusky, it was more along the lines of the guy was "horseplaying" with the kid in the showers.  Paterno reported it as he was supposed to, and I don't recall anyone claiming they brought additional incidents to Paterno's attention so why would Paterno call the police if his management said it was being investigated?

How many times did Michael Jackson sleep in a bed with young boys and no one on his staff called the police?  I don't recall a media lynch mob at his house looking to have the house staff fired and arrested or refusing to report Jackson to the police.   This was a witch hunt to bring down PSU and Paterno by the media and PSU knew it wouldn't stop until they fired Paterno so they caved to the media demands.

Originally Posted by lonewolf

Horse hockey.

Dude aint too busy to follwow up on a child being raped.

Let's just change the players here:

--NEwtgolf is the head man in charge at the widget factory.  John Doe comes to him and says 'hey, I just saw one of our 60 yr. old colleagues naked in teh shower fondling, etc a 10 yr. old boy.

--Newtgolf goes to his boss adn his boss says.  We'll take care of it.  Meanwhile, the molesting colleague continues to hang out at the widget factory with otehr young boys and 9+ years go by and nothing happens.

--You telling me you too busy to call the police?

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 4286 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!