IGNORED

I'm Starting Couch to 5K

iacas
Note: This thread is 4049 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by iacas

It's fine. I renamed it, so now we're all kind of back on topic. I'll start the other one again tomorrow. :-)

Another good site for information on running is here :

http://www.halhigdon.com/

It's a well known site within the running community.  I had thought about getting the 5k to 10k bridge app for my phone, but I may end up trying out Hal Higdon's half marathon training program.

Originally Posted by Bo the Golfer

Found out very quickly how different it is to run outside versus the treadmill.

I have heard both sides.  I heard that you needed to train outside too to get accustom to running outside because it was harder. I also heard that running outside is much easier than on a treadmill.  In my experience in my 5k, I found it to be easier outside than on a treadmill.  Since it's just a treadmill, I don't think it matters that much.  Once you get into the longer distances, I would think that's when that train of thought might come into play more.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I found it hard to pace myself outside, being a tredmill runner. I think its tougher to go from tredmill to outside, than it is from going from outside to tredmill.

I will be trying this couch to 5K thing, its a good goal, even though i might not go into 5K's, its something to work to and add to my workout regimine.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

You might consider purchasing a Garmin, or Polar heart rate monitor with built in GPS.  They are a bit pricey, but will provide you constant feedback on your heart rate, pace, distance run, etc.  Garmin has a "virtual pal" that you can set up to keep pace or race with which makes it a bit more fun.   If you're going to run races these are invaluable tools for training and races.  If you want any more information let me know.

Treadmill to road running is different.  I train mostly on a treadmill to avoid injuries, dogs, cars, and annoying people who think it's funny to scream at runners or beep their horn as they drive past.  Prior to a race I'll increase my outdoor runs to get my body used to the different terrain, incline of road (side of roads are angled for drainage which is not good for runners long term) and the pounding that running on asphalt or cemant causes.  Unlike most people I run faster outside than on treadmill, I'm not sure if this is due to a stride difference or uncalibrated treadmill but I'll run a minute faster outside than I do on the treadmill in each heart rate zone.

Originally Posted by saevel25

I found it hard to pace myself outside, being a tredmill runner. I think its tougher to go from tredmill to outside, than it is from going from outside to tredmill.

I will be trying this couch to 5K thing, its a good goal, even though i might not go into 5K's, its something to work to and add to my workout regimine.

Joe Paradiso

Once you get beyond your Couch to 5K you'll be ready for more intense training.  Runners World has a great website and provides free training programs (more customized programs are available with payment) that will help get you ready for any race length you want.  I've used them pretty consistently and have completed my races pretty much on the pace it predicted.

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Once you get beyond your Couch to 5K you'll be ready for more intense training.  Runners World has a great website and provides free training programs (more customized programs are available with payment) that will help get you ready for any race length you want.  I've used them pretty consistently and have completed my races pretty much on the pace it predicted.

FWIW I'm not planning to run any real races. I think a half marathon is too long. I may do a 10K or something because a friend of mine races, but that's a ways off and not really something I'm eager to do. I'm just running for the benefits - cardiovascular help, a little calorie burning and metabolism assistance, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

That's how I started.  I hated running all my life and when I decided to lose weight I started walking on the treadmill.  I had no intention of getting into racing but as I dropped the 200lbs, walking progressed to jogging, then running.  I was really hooked once I ran my first 5K.  Running is like golf in that you are primarily competing against yourself.  I ran a year of just 5K's then decided to wanted to try 10K's.  You get to the point where you want to keep pushing yourself to see how fast and how far you can run.  Once you get to the longer distances you'll experience the runners high and will be amazed that you can run 10+ miles without even getting tired.

The key is start off slow, gradually increase your distances 10% max increase per week for three weeks out of four.  Every fouth week should be a recovery week where you actually shorten your runs a bit to allow your body to recover.  Have fun with it, you'll be amazed at how quckly you'll progress once you commit to it.

Originally Posted by iacas

FWIW I'm not planning to run any real races. I think a half marathon is too long. I may do a 10K or something because a friend of mine races, but that's a ways off and not really something I'm eager to do. I'm just running for the benefits - cardiovascular help, a little calorie burning and metabolism assistance, etc.

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator

The key is start off slow, gradually increase your distances 10% max increase per week for three weeks out of four.  Every fouth week should be a recovery week where you actually shorten your runs a bit to allow your body to recover.  Have fun with it, you'll be amazed at how quckly you'll progress once you commit to it.

Thanks. After Couch to 5K I'll probably do the Couch to 10K app (I'm told I should start around week 5 in that app). That's the plan. Maybe I'll do some sort of bridge app or program instead.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

That's how I started.  I hated running all my life and when I decided to lose weight I started walking on the treadmill.  I had no intention of getting into racing but as I dropped the 200lbs, walking progressed to jogging, then running.  I was really hooked once I ran my first 5K.  Running is like golf in that you are primarily competing against yourself.  I ran a year of just 5K's then decided to wanted to try 10K's.  You get to the point where you want to keep pushing yourself to see how fast and how far you can run.  Once you get to the longer distances you'll experience the runners high and will be amazed that you can run 10+ miles without even getting tired.

I agree. I completely hated anything cardio related and started doing a spin class to drop some weight.  Then I started running on the treadmill to change it up.  Then the couch to 5k which led me to my first 5k race.  I guess the adrenaline that being there on race day produces and the feeling of accomplishment for finishing the race has got me addicted.   I have another 5k in a month.....and I haven't ran since last month's 5k!!   I have got to get back to it.   Luckily, I plan on starting today.

Keep it up Iacas.  I'll have some updates here starting tonight

Bryan A

• Administrator

Originally Posted by TN94z

Thanks, and great! We have a new thread for those updates, as you've probably noticed. ;-)

It's true, race days are awesome days even when you don't beat your personal best.   There's a great comraderie with runners, one of the nicest groups of people I've ever met.  I was really blown away the first 1/2 marathon I ran because of all the specatators lined up across the entire course that take their time to go out and cheer complete strangers on, it's an amazing feeling to be a part of it.

Good luck TN94, next race for me is a Turkey Trot, then just hard core training for the Long Island Marathon in May.  My newest goal is to qualify for the Boston marathon but I've got a lot of tempo runs and intervals to do before I get fast enough.

Originally Posted by TN94z

I agree. I completely hated anything cardio related and started doing a spin class to drop some weight.  Then I started running on the treadmill to change it up.  Then the couch to 5k which led me to my first 5k race.  I guess the adrenaline that being there on race day produces and the feeling of accomplishment for finishing the race has got me addicted.   I have another 5k in a month.....and I haven't ran since last month's 5k!!   I have got to get back to it.   Luckily, I plan on starting today.

Joe Paradiso

I plan on starting this C25K, add it into my exercise routine. Its sounds like a great way to set a goal, to complete this program. I plan on doing the tredmill version, since its winter and snow could fall any week now... Its Ohio, we never know..

I think most people run slower outside,  just the change in terrain, wind, ect.. I think i out paced myself when i tried running outside in a long time. I was busting my tredmill speed and i dive bombed really fast.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Most people do run slower outside but I set the incline on my treadmill to "1" to account for wind resistance and also do one day of training using a program that varies the incline so I'm accounting for hills on my treadmill runs.

Originally Posted by saevel25

I think most people run slower outside,  just the change in terrain, wind, ect.. I think i out paced myself when i tried running outside in a long time. I was busting my tredmill speed and i dive bombed really fast.

Joe Paradiso

I ran quite a bit faster outside.  As long as you don't really outpace yourself, then I think you run it quicker because the excitment and the adrenaline from the event.  I find ti much easier running outside than on a treadmill.  But I know that goes either way and is a personal preference thing.

Bryan A

I've gone on four 3-4 mile runs in the past week or so. I'm trying to knock some rust off and get ready for a winter of hitting the gym and lifting 3-4 times a week. I also started cutting out the majority of the crap I eat about 7-10 days ago, although, I did kind of fall off the wagon on Sunday (it's hard for me to watch football without eating like a complete jerk).

But it feels good to zone out for a bit, listen to the ipod and just run. If I want to really start burning some significant calories though I'm going to have eat a bit better and start doing some anaerobic stuff soon....

Constantine

Watching last nights Jets game was painful, I was craving pizza and chips to console myself, just glad I gave my tickets away so I wasn't there to witness it in person.

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

I've gone on four 3-4 mile runs in the past week or so. I'm trying to knock some rust off and get ready for a winter of hitting the gym and lifting 3-4 times a week. I also started cutting out the majority of the crap I eat about 7-10 days ago, although, I did kind of fall off the wagon on Sunday (it's hard for me to watch football without eating like a complete jerk).

But it feels good to zone out for a bit, listen to the ipod and just run. If I want to really start burning some significant calories though I'm going to have eat a bit better and start doing some anaerobic stuff soon....

Joe Paradiso

Watching last nights Jets game was painful, I was craving pizza and chips to console myself, just glad I gave my tickets away so I wasn't there to witness it in person.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

Yea, towards the end of the game, I was stuffing my face with those white cheddar cheetos puffs by the handful. They're totally evil, but fairly good comfort food.

And just to keep this exchange on topic , I plan on going on another run at some point tomorrow morning or evening. Probably around 4 miles again. Exercise gets pretty addictive once you can get the ball rolling a bit.

Constantine

Good stuff.

Not familar with the program but running is great.  I'd consider myself in good shape for a fat man (right now 220).  I've been running a bunch recently with my dog.  A long one is 5 to 6 miles.  I did a 5K charity thing a month or two ago in 30.27.  Not fast but I beat a bunch of thinner people.  I'm doing a 10K on Thanksgiving day.  For whatever reason they are fun.  Under an hour will be great for me.

I love getting in better shape.  Its rewarding unlike golf.  You can work at golf and not get better.  But if you train you always get in better shape.

Brian

Originally Posted by Leftygolfer

Good stuff.

Not familar with the program but running is great.  I'd consider myself in good shape for a fat man (right now 220).  I've been running a bunch recently with my dog.  A long one is 5 to 6 miles.  I did a 5K charity thing a month or two ago in 30.27.  Not fast but I beat a bunch of thinner people.  I'm doing a 10K on Thanksgiving day.  For whatever reason they are fun.  Under an hour will be great for me.

I love getting in better shape.  Its rewarding unlike golf.  You can work at golf and not get better.  But if you train you always get in better shape.

30.27 isn't that bad.  My first one was 34.52.  It was our first 5k so my wife and I were going to stay together and finish together unless one of us had to stop.  I was running at her pace for half the race. She had a chest cold and had to walk half way through so I went at my pace from there on. It made me feel like I really finished strong because when she had to stop and I started running faster, I was passing people left and right!  I think I can do it in under 30.  That's my goal for the next one unless we decide to stick together again.

What's bad is when you are almost to the half way point and you meet 2 guys that are already on their way back.  Some of these guys finish in like 15 or 16 minutes!! It's craziness

Bryan A

Note: This thread is 4049 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!