IGNORED

Trackman Figures from Some Tour Players

iacas
Note: This thread is 3228 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The one thing I'm a little confused about is that there are numerous times in which the club path and the face angle are consistent in relation to each other, but the spin axis numbers are going in  opposite directions. Is this a product of an off center hit, or is there something else that influences the spin?

Joe McNulty

5SK™ Director of Instruction, Cape Cod, MA

Driver - D3 9.5

3-Wood - SQ 15

Hybrid - 17 Adams

4-PW - 714 AP2

50, 56 & 60 - Vokeys

Putter - Scotty

Ball - Pro V1x

Originally Posted by Fried Egg

The one thing I'm a little confused about is that there are numerous times in which the club path and the face angle are consistent in relation to each other, but the spin axis numbers are going in  opposite directions. Is this a product of an off center hit, or is there something else that influences the spin?

For Trackman (-) means left. Spin axis is the amount and direction of the side spin. A negative number means the axis is spinning to the left (hook spin) and a positive number means the axis is spinning to the right (slice spin).

So for Rory, his AOA is +4, Horizontal Swing Plane is 10.7* (swinging in to out)  Face angle is +2.4 (aimed to the right) and club path (the direction the clubhead is going into impact ) is +6.4.  Spin Axis is -5.9 which means it's spinning leftward (hook spin) by 6.4*

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks. I think understand Most of that.

For example, let's take two similar swings of Furyk.

AOA   HSP   FA   CP   SA

1.        4.5      7.3    2.8   3.5   6.2

2         4.3      7.5     .2    3.6  -4.2

Now I read this as two shots starting slightly right of target and drawing. Yet #1 has a spin axis to the right????

There are a few examples where the FA and CP would say "fade," but the spin axis would be negative.

This is where I am missing something.

Joe McNulty

5SK™ Director of Instruction, Cape Cod, MA

Driver - D3 9.5

3-Wood - SQ 15

Hybrid - 17 Adams

4-PW - 714 AP2

50, 56 & 60 - Vokeys

Putter - Scotty

Ball - Pro V1x

Originally Posted by Fried Egg

Thanks. I think understand Most of that.

For example, let's take two similar swings of Furyk.

AOA   HSP   FA   CP   SA

1.        4.5      7.3    2.8   3.5   6.2

2         4.3      7.5     .2    3.6  -4.2

Now I read this as two shots starting slightly right of target and drawing. Yet #1 has a spin axis to the right????

There are a few examples where the FA and CP would say "fade," but the spin axis would be negative.

This is where I am missing something.

I would say #1 was a heel hit, more spin, went higher

Mike McLoughlin

I basically just looked at all the ball flight graphs. Keeping in mind that the different players hit vastly different quantities of shots and I'm not sure if they were trying to fade it or draw it on any particular shot, I find it interesting that only Rory hit all his shots curving in one direction. Rory never hit one dead straight or one that curved to the right, all of them curved to the left. What this means--Rory is very comfortable hitting a draw, and probably not comfortable fading it--this probably limits his versatility and potential. He certainly has the ability to do well on courses that favor a right handed draw player, but he might struggle on holes that favor a fade (either off the tee or on approach shots) From a quick glance, Donald has the tightest shot cone. PS I looked all over the internet for David Tom's Trackman data and couldn't access them. It would be interesting to see his (reportedly #1 smash factor and driving efficiency--ratio of club head speed to ball speed)

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

• 9 months later...
I'm guessing that a few of the charts are controlled swings(80% swings). A good example is Jason Day's first 12 swings looks like 100% swings poorly hitting ball 10-12, then he decides to dial it back to 80-90% the rest of the session. Wish B. Watson's and Tiger's numbers were availble.

• 4 months later...
In reference to the data from Boo Weekly , when you are launching a driver at 9 degrees 2500 spin is too low , if he was launching it at a higher launch with that spin, example 11 degrees and the same spin would be perfect, however as he is a down striker of 3 degrees he tends to create less launch so the extra spin actually helps create a little more carry I am a trackman owner and use it for fitting every day and coaching and see the same problems every day , people think low spin = more distance and that's only the case when launching higher Hope that's helps

I am such a nerd. This conversation is incredibly fascinating...

*Reverts back to sponge mode*

"Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.."

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

I learned that most of these guys would have a hard time keeping up with the typical Internet drive average.

Since this thread has been resurrected, so should this absolutely funny quote.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/62750/whats-your-avg-drive-swing-speed/18

Looking at the above thread, I see several examples of what TourSpoon is referring to.

• 3 weeks later...

Rory's Trackman numbers with his Covert driver, wish we could see more data.  Hits up 2.7 and tilts the spin axis -5.8 (draw)

Mike McLoughlin

I geeked out and consolidated some of this into a spreadsheet. If there's demand for it and it's okay for me to post it, I will.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• 3 months later...

Hey Guys,  long time reader but first time posting.  I am looking for average Trackman club path data for PGA Tour players.  Trackmans charts do not post this data (at least the ones I have)  I am hoping someone on here has the data and if not I will track it down.  I do know in general what they are per club but would like some hard data similiar to the available data from Trackman.  Thanks guys for any help.

Now that would have been too easy using the search function.  I really appreaciate that data but specifically searching for each club as that looks like the majority was the driver.  Still great info!  Thanks

Why club path? When you say you know them in general what do you mean? Are you trying to figure out if tour pros hit play more draws or fades? Tour stats look for more distance related variables like ball speed, launch angle, attack angle, head speed, ect. Tour doesn't keep stats on what shape of ball flight is 'average." Path more or less only determines curvature.

Originally Posted by golfequipment

Now that would have been too easy  using the search function.  I really appreaciate that data but specifically searching for each club as that looks like the majority was the driver.  Still great info!  Thanks

Check out Luke Donald's info.  I think his goes through the entire bag.

Note: This thread is 3228 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!