IGNORED

Your Workout Today

iacas

Walked 18 holes of golf, and afterwards, walked another 3 miles with my dogs. Probably close to 7 miles.  

Had quite a few elevation changes, while following a mountain bike trail,  on the dog walk. 

• Thumbs Up 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Excellent. Do you feel your strength training program is helping you hit the golf ball farther on drives and at the 150 yd mark to the green? 

9 hours ago, Patch said:

Walked 18 holes of golf, and afterwards, walked another 3 miles with my dogs. Probably close to 7 miles.  

Had quite a few elevation changes, while following a mountain bike trail,  on the dog walk. 

Excellent. Do you do strength training? 

1 hour ago, chilepepper said:

Currently doing a 2 day split routine. Chest, shoulders triceps day one. Day two, legs, back bi’s. 2x a week.

Thanks for sharing. Do you use free weights or machines?

1 hour ago, kenhockey2 said:

Excellent. Do you feel your strength training program is helping you hit the golf ball farther on drives and at the 150 yd mark to the green? 

A little of both. Kind of depends on how busy the gym is that day.

a can’t say that conditioning alone has increased my distance. I’ve done a lot the past 18 months, lessons, fitted irons, lessons with a decent instructor. I’ll go with “all of the above”

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kenhockey2 said:

No weight/strength training. I just hike, and ride a bike up and down hills. This also takes care of my cardio stuff. I swing golf clubs, and baseball bats for upper body work. Some days I will get out and use a rake, and shovel. Maybe move some boulders for yard work. 

I'm 67 years old. Most of my left side joints have medical implants holding things sturdy. I can still lift 100 lbs pretty easily. Luckily I have no back problems. I still play a little basketball, baseball, with the Grandkids. I can still do all these things, in moderation, because my leg strength allows me these luxuries. Thats why I walk, and ride a bike alot. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Lift weights two days splitting between shoulders/legs and chest/back -- then one day off...

My heart and lungs are pumping throughout the entire 35-45 minute workout...Nothing has changed my body composition this much before I started back into pushing/pulling weights; had done the P90X + Insanity + bodyweight exercises, but lifting doesn't stress my joints or cause delayed muscle soreness (like P90X/Insanity did)...

On the occasion off day, I will jump rope (intervals) for maybe 10-15 minutes -- other than that, not really that much cardio.  

I'm not into working out with weights.   I find it too boring.    During the winter, I play racquetball twice per week and wallyball once per week.     I still swing a club a few times a week at the athletic club.   If we have enough snow, I enjoy xc skiing.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I did 30 minutes of indoor spinning intervals this morning before going to work.

I will go to the fitness center after work and do Circuit weight training machines 2x10, followed by 30 minutes on the elliptical machine. 

Trying to lose 15 lbs by July 2018. 

2 hours ago, kenhockey2 said:

I did 30 minutes of indoor spinning intervals this morning before going to work.

I will go to the fitness center after work and do Circuit weight training machines 2x10, followed by 30 minutes on the elliptical machine. 

Ken are you doing anything with your diet ?

2 hours ago, kenhockey2 said:

one hour of Yoga =  flexibility strength and balance

swam daily 40 lengths. easier on the joints and good cardio

wash and repeat

I played 30 minutes of street hockey this afternoon with middle school students. 

Showed them an over 55 guy can keep up the pre adolescents.

Cutting 200 calories a day from my daily intake. Portion control and limiting high glycic carbs. Six small meals a day. Drinking half gallon of water throughout the day. 

Realistically......if I can get within 80 % of my weight loss goal.....I will still be happy. 

Jcrane........do you do any weight training?

Trying to maintain my bodyfat %  It is currently between 15-20% range for my age group 55-60. At 5'8", 185 lbs.

Edited by kenhockey2
misspelling

17 hours ago, kenhockey2 said:

Jcrane........do you do any weight training?

Ken : I used to do weight training. In fact I trained for 30 years, then my body started to break down. I had a pinched nerve, a herniated disk and pains up my calves when I did aerobics.

I started doing all kinds of styles of Yoga to relieve the tightness in my muscles that I was getting from the heavy lifting. I continued to do the weights, aerobics, and swimming .I also started to work with an inversion table almost every day. 

After about 5 years of this routine, I discovered Baptist Power Yoga, a Yoga that includes arm balances and inversions. This practice challenged my muscles in such a way that I no longer needed to lift weights and stoped lifting. That was about 15 years ago. 

After about 8 years of Baptist Power Yoga, I decided it was no longer serving me. It was too fast and I just could not breath, so I fell back on a weight lifting routine I experimented with in the 80s. that is slow controlled movements. Today it is known as "Super Slow". 

I began to create my own routine. I took the Baptist style and took the momentum out of it. The moves were slow, controlled movements and here is what I learned.

I could breath long deep, slow breaths which gave me the cardio I was trying to get out of the aerobics. My resting heart rate gets down to 38 sometimes ( I give plasma and get rejected under 40.)

The pains in my legs were from tight calf and hamstring muscles and were aggravated by spending so much time on hard surfaces, such as cement floors. 

My hips were tight from years of toilets, car seats, and chairs. ( I always thought the people of India were primitive because they squatted around a hole to eliminate. Now I think it is us who are primitive. ( they do not have tight hips )

I do what is referred to as transition poses which is taking some static Yoga poses and moving from one pose to another.dynamically, without momentum. (not so easy) I found this builds lots of strength in the body because it forces all the muscle fibers to fire and connects the muscle groups together so they operate as a unit instead of separate muscle groups.This differs greatly from when I lifted weights because back then I was training the muscles to work independently.

Back when I lifted weights I was building muscles, but now I found I am building strength, that is, functional strength.

By stretching the muscles consistently over a period of time and paying attention to make sure I was stretching them to their max. I created length in my muscles that now I just have to maintain for mobility. 

I spend about 3-4 hours a week doing this routine. I also throw in a few poses when I teach which is about 15 hours a week.

How does it affect my golf game ? 

Because I have spent so much time doing routines that create balance in my body ( transitions on one leg at a time ) I easily move in my golf swing from back to front.

Because my routine has taught me to use my entire core when I bend over, I do not have back issues

I golf with an unrestricted back-swing because I have lengthened the muscles around my spine.

Because I have trained myself to deep breath I am much more relaxed when I play. 

Because of the awareness training I more quickly realize when I am becoming tense and take deep breaths to release the tension. 

At the end of the round I do not feel any stiffness then or the next day.

So the question is : does this make me a better golfer ? The answer is : not necessarily a better golfer but it certainly adds to the enjoyment of the game

I am 68 years old and so far I can play volleyball with 30 year olds, , and in general enjoy excellent health. 

So to answer your question : No I do not lift weights LOL

• Thumbs Up 1