IGNORED

Your Workout Today

iacas

You can't post about a new PR and not give numbers...I think there's a law about that.

LOL

195 bench

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

LOL

195 bench

Good numbers. I haven't attempted a 1 RM with my bench since I've been back at it, but would assume it's something similar.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Groin/hip felt good today. Leg day...

Can I get a form check from the experienced guys? I've always struggled with Squat form and have been lowering weight to really try to improve it. Always had a tendency to lean forward and my lower back would always end up sore after squats.

Since I've been back at it and trying to improve the form, I've had no lower back pain or issues, so I'm hoping that means it's been working.

Ryan M

Groin/hip felt good today. Leg day...

Can I get a form check from the experienced guys? I've always struggled with Squat form and have been lowering weight to really try to improve it. Always had a tendency to lean forward and my lower back would always end up sore after squats.

I'm not an "expert" but I'll give you my take. The overall movement is good, you start the squat by moving the butt back first and you get good depth. It also looks like you do a good job of keeping your knees out on the way up. Just seems to me like your breathing is off. I was taught to breath in before I lowered, helps engage or brace the core to support the torso staying "up". Then I exhale on the way up. Almost sounds like you breath out before you lower and this causes the abs to "collapse", causing you to lean forward.

More on what I'm referring to

I also focus on a spot in front of me (eye level) to keep my chest up.

BTW nice set-up you got at home. That's exactly the kind of rack I want to get for Christmas.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I just had my form checked in the Deadlift and Squat by my friend who is a personal trainer. I was leaning too far forward. Your form looks good. The bar is tracking over you mid-foot.

It starts to break down in the last couple reps. That is to be expected if you are maxing out. In my opinion that should not be done every workout.

Doug

I'm not an "expert" but I'll give you my take. The overall movement is good, you start the squat by moving the butt back first and you get good depth. It also looks like you do a good job of keeping your knees out on the way up. Just seems to me like your breathing is off. I was taught to breath in before I lowered, helps engage or brace the core to support the torso staying "up". Then I exhale on the way up. Almost sounds like you breath out before you lower and this causes the abs to "collapse", causing you to lean forward.

More on what I'm referring to

I also focus on a spot in front of me (eye level) to keep my chest up.

BTW nice set-up you got at home. That's exactly the kind of rack I want to get for Christmas.

Thanks Mike! I want to add a leg extension/hamstring curl machine, power tower, and cable crossover machine and I'll be set. Should be able to get all 3 for under $1k. That rack/bench combo was $350 at Dick's I believe...can probably find something used cheaper, but I don't like the idea of using someone elses sweat filled bench.

Breathing in before moving down was something I'd never heard of, but makes sense. I'll give that a whirl next time.

I just had my form checked in the Deadlift and Squat by my friend who is a personal trainer. I was leaning too far forward. Your form looks good. The bar is tracking over you mid-foot.

It starts to break down in the last couple reps. That is to be expected if you are maxing out. In my opinion that should not be done every workout.

Yeah, leaning forward was my problem for a long time. I don't normally do squats to failure, but had to skip leg day last week so was trying to crush them last night.

Hoping the belt also helps out with that...but it's still out of commission.

Thanks again guys!

Ryan M

Originally Posted by mvmac

195 bench

Nice! Hope Santa brings you that rack for Christmas.

Breathing in before moving down was something I'd never heard of, but makes sense. I'll give that a whirl next time.

Yeah, leaning forward was my problem for a long time. I don't normally do squats to failure, but had to skip leg day last week so was trying to crush them last night.

Thanks for posting this video, it's great learning to watch somone else's form.  Form looks good. I second what was said about breathing in at the top. Deep breath and hold until at least halfway back up (I try to hold for the whole rep based on some advice I got from an olympic lifting coach). I still battle leaning forward, especially on the last few reps of the last set.

Today's workout:

Squat 200 lbs 5x5

OH Press 65 lbs 5x5 - I deloaded to work on form, I was pressing with my arms too wide.

Deadlift 245 lbs 1x5

- Mark

Thanks Mike! I want to add a leg extension/hamstring curl machine, power tower, and cable crossover machine and I'll be set. Should be able to get all 3 for under $1k. That rack/bench combo was $350 at Dick's I believe...can probably find something used cheaper, but I don't like the idea of using someone elses sweat filled bench.

Update, it was actually $250...and it's currently on sale for $199.

Ryan M

Starting some "feet assisted" pullups, and pushups. Doing a lot of stretching and hope to integrate some yoga. Being careful not to tear any shoulder muscles at this point.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

@Slice of Life, That squat looks good.  One thing, you stepped to far back and lost the protection of that safety bar.

I unfortunately can't utilize the safety bars until I get more flooring. To stand close enough, my feet wouldn't be stable, since I'd be half on/off the rubber mat.

I'm not very concerned about the safety bar unless I'm going heavy though, and when I go heavy, my buddy John is spotting so it isn't a big deal.

Ryan M

5x5 tonight

Squat 210 lbs

Bench 120 lbs

Barbell Row 140 lbs

I don't understand how you can Barbell Row more than you bench lol

140 lbs is a heavy row.

Ryan M

I don't understand how you can Barbell Row more than you bench lol 140 lbs is a heavy row.

I've been following the Stronglifts program which adds 5lbs each time to each exercise. Each exercise starts with the empty bar, but BR starts with plates so it's not a pull from the floor. So the progression is always 20 lbs ahead of bench. I *can* bench more but I'm following the 5 lb progression. I am starting to plateau on the row.

- Mark

I've been following the Stronglifts program which adds 5lbs each time to each exercise. Each exercise starts with the empty bar, but BR starts with plates so it's not a pull from the floor. So the progression is always 20 lbs ahead of bench. I *can* bench more but I'm following the 5 lb progression. I am starting to plateau on the row.

If you can bench more, bench more. That's one thing I don't like about Stronglifts is that recommendation. You should be benching the maximum weight you can for 5 sets of 5 reps. Otherwise, you aren't gaining any strength, and you aren't pushing yourself.

When I did stronglifts, I did it my way...there order/sets/reps, but I didn't start with the bar. I started with the heaviest weight I could properly do the exercise with. And then my strength went through the roof.

Think of it this way...you're maxing out your barbell rows...so you're crushing your back...really working it hard...and then it has you going half-assed on your chest since you don't have to work to get the bar up for 5 reps...

Ryan M

If you can bench more, bench more. That's one thing I don't like about Stronglifts is that recommendation. You should be benching the maximum weight you can for 5 sets of 5 reps. Otherwise, you aren't gaining any strength, and you aren't pushing yourself.

When I did stronglifts, I did it my way...there order/sets/reps, but I didn't start with the bar. I started with the heaviest weight I could properly do the exercise with. And then my strength went through the roof.

Think of it this way...you're maxing out your barbell rows...so you're crushing your back...really working it hard...and then it has you going half-assed on your chest since you don't have to work to get the bar up for 5 reps...

I think I will try modifying like this.  Thanks.  I do feel the 5x5 is a little restrictive, but I am new to lifting so I have been sticking to it, mostly just out of ignorance of not knowing what to do next.  I don't know enough about lifting yet to make up my own program, and the net is filled with conflicting info about what works and what doesn't.  Any pointers are appreciated.

- Mark

I think I will try modifying like this.  Thanks.  I do feel the 5x5 is a little restrictive, but I am new to lifting so I have been sticking to it, mostly just out of ignorance of not knowing what to do next.  I don't know enough about lifting yet to make up my own program, and the net is filled with conflicting info about what works and what doesn't.  Any pointers are appreciated.

There's nothing wrong with a 5x5 program, but don't limit your weight just to follow the guidelines. Lift as much weight as you can for those 5 sets of 5 reps.

Other than that, keep doing what you're doing. Once you get closer to the size/strength you want, you can then come up with a new routine and I can help you out with that.

Ryan M