IGNORED

Your Workout Today

iacas

It kind of sucks because if you look at it in the short term, there could be lots of fluctuation and the days I step on the scale like this morning where I lost 1/2 lb., it could be just water weight.

That's why I tracked it daily and looked at my graph. You can see the trend instead of the fluctuation.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That's why I tracked it daily and looked at my graph. You can see the trend instead of the fluctuation.

Yeah, I'm reading that if you take in a lot of sodium that you'll retain more water.

Guess I'm not doing myself any favors drinking 3-4 diet cokes a day considering there's 40mg of sodium in each can.

BTW, I'm thinking of getting a heart rate monitor.  Is there a particular one that anyone recommends?

I found these two which seemed ok but didn't know if there was something out there worth getting that is better:

http://www.rei.com/product/883446/soleus-flash-heart-rate-monitor-2013-closeout#tab-specs

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Sports-PHRM38BK-Monitor-Walking/dp/B004RQWYDO#customerReviews

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Didn't realize I could still edit previous post so put content in there instead of this one.

I don't think I'm allowed to delete my own posts, though, right?

Christian

Yeah, I'm reading that if you take in a lot of sodium that you'll retain more water.

Guess I'm not doing myself any favors drinking 3-4 diet cokes a day considering there's 40mg of sodium in each can.

Stay away from that crap. No sugar = no carbs = no calories....but there are a ton of studies about the negative effects of sugar substitutes on blood sugar and insulin responses. One or two every once in a while is cool...but 3-4 a day is absolutely awful. I bet if you cut those out, you'll drop another 6-7 lbs in a week or 2.

Sodium is good, but try to limit high sodium drinks to right after your workouts. Try to get your salt and potassium levels up after sweating it all out. My doctor actually told me I need to INCREASE my sodium intake. Best news I've heard in years as I love salt hahaha.

And I unfortunately can't help you on the HRMs...never used them. I just use my phone.

Ryan M

Stay away from that crap. No sugar = no carbs = no calories....but there are a ton of studies about the negative effects of sugar substitutes on blood sugar and insulin responses. One or two every once in a while is cool...but 3-4 a day is absolutely awful. I bet if you cut those out, you'll drop another 6-7 lbs in a week or 2.

Sodium is good, but try to limit high sodium drinks to right after your workouts. Try to get your salt and potassium levels up after sweating it all out. My doctor actually told me I need to INCREASE my sodium intake. Best news I've heard in years as I love salt hahaha.

And I unfortunately can't help you on the HRMs...never used them. I just use my phone.

Well, Diet Coke has 0's across the board except for the 40mg's of sodium.  To be honest, I'm not sure what I'd drink except water then.  I can't just drink water, though, as I like flavor.  I guess I can always drink Diet Snapple, haha.

Yeah, I love salt, too.  I put it on everything I can.  I especially love dumping it on edamame.  Why do you want to get sodium and potassium levels up after a workout?  I thought you sweat out sodium when you work out and that it increases your water weight.

You can check your heart rate on your phone?

Christian

Well, Diet Coke has 0's across the board except for the 40mg's of sodium.  To be honest, I'm not sure what I'd drink except water then.  I can't just drink water, though, as I like flavor.  I guess I can always drink Diet Snapple, haha.

Yeah, I love salt, too.  I put it on everything I can.  I especially love dumping it on edamame.  Why do you want to get sodium and potassium levels up after a workout?  I thought you sweat out sodium when you work out and that it increases your water weight.

You can check your heart rate on your phone?

Some electrolytes are: Salt (sodium + chloride), Calcium, Magnesium, and Potassium. One school of thought is that you should replenish them after a workout. Though, like anything else..."experts" disagree on a lot of it.

Sweating out sodium doesn't increase your water weight. I'm not sure you're getting at.

Ryan M

Funny, because I'm doing this experiment right now.  Up through last Tuesday, I would estimate that, on average, I was drinking 4 or 5 12 oz. diet cokes or pepsis a day.  One 32 ouncer with lunch and 2 or 3 cans with dinner.  (I also have about 20 ounces of coffee every morning).

Starting last Wednesday, I've basically cut out the soda and started drinking water.  I am still drinking the coffee in the morning, but other than that, in those last 6 days, I've had 3 sodas total and one glass of wine, (and a metric effload of water ;)).  I'm not sure if I've lost any weight, but I definitely feel better.

I'm going to cut out the late evening snacks/desserts next.  Baby steps.  (Oh, and we're cleaning out the junk in our room so I can get back on the elliptical each day too)

Some electrolytes are: Salt (sodium + chloride), Calcium, Magnesium, and Potassium. One school of thought is that you should replenish them after a workout. Though, like anything else..."experts" disagree on a lot of it.

Sweating out sodium doesn't increase your water weight. I'm not sure you're getting at.

I meant that I read on: http://www.truelemon.com/article/608-real-weight-versus-water-weight

" Excess sodium makes the body hold extra fluids in the cells. When you cut down salt and high sodium condiments like soy sauce, you can quickly lose water weight."

So, I'm confused because if you're sweating out sodium during a workout, I wasn't sure why you would want to replenish it.

Of course, the article says, "excess sodium," so I guess it's a matter of how much sodium you take in as to if you hold extra fluids in the cells.

Christian

Funny, because I'm doing this experiment right now.  Up through last Tuesday, I would estimate that, on average, I was drinking 4 or 5 12 oz. diet cokes or pepsis a day.  One 32 ouncer with lunch and 2 or 3 cans with dinner.  (I also have about 20 ounces of coffee every morning).

Starting last Wednesday, I've basically cut out the soda and started drinking water.  I am still drinking the coffee in the morning, but other than that, in those last 6 days, I've had 3 sodas total and one glass of wine, (and a metric effload of water ;)).  I'm not sure if I've lost any weight, but I definitely feel better.

I'm going to cut out the late evening snacks/desserts next.  Baby steps.  (Oh, and we're cleaning out the junk in our room so I can get back on the elliptical each day too)

Get on the scale!

Christian

I meant that I read on: http://www.truelemon.com/article/608-real-weight-versus-water-weight

"Excess sodium makes the body hold extra fluids in the cells. When you cut down salt and high sodium condiments like soy sauce, you can quickly lose water weight."

So, I'm confused because if you're sweating out sodium during a workout, I wasn't sure why you would want to replenish it.

Of course, the article says, "excess sodium," so I guess it's a matter of how much sodium you take in as to if you hold extra fluids in the cells.

Ah I gotcha. I don't worry about water weight. It's just water. I can gain 8 lbs in a day if you need me too...just like if for some reason, I needed to weight 150 lbs even by the end of the week...I could. But in the grand scheme of things, my real weight isn't affected much.

I'm no doctor, but electrolytes are important for a number of reasons...mental health, muscle health and function...etc.,

Ryan M

Get on the scale!

I stand on the scale, but then when I look down I can't see it.  Is that bad?

(Half) kidding. I actually did ... I weighed myself last week and it's the most I've ever weighed (285) and this morning was 282.  But I feel like that amount could be within a margin of error or something.  I think I'll just start keeping track once weekly.  Checking daily gives me the whole "watched pot never boils" feeling.

Ah I gotcha. I don't worry about water weight. It's just water. I can gain 8 lbs in a day if you need me too...just like if for some reason, I needed to weight 150 lbs even by the end of the week...I could. But in the grand scheme of things, my real weight isn't affected much.

I'm no doctor, but electrolytes are important for a number of reasons...mental health, muscle health and function...etc.,

You're right, it's just water.  But I won't lie, those days I look down and I see the scale show me a number that is a good amount less than it showed me the day before, it makes me happy and when it shows a number greater than the one from the day before, I get frustrated, haha.

I still need something to drink besides water, though.

I stand on the scale, but then when I look down I can't see it.  Is that bad?

(Half) kidding. I actually did ... I weighed myself last week and it's the most I've ever weighed (285) and this morning was 282.  But I feel like that amount could be within a margin of error or something.  I think I'll just start keeping track once weekly.  Checking daily gives me the whole "watched pot never boils" feeling.

Yeah, when I jumped on the scale last month when I began my, "get in better shape for golf," plan, the number that stared back at me wasn't one I was surprised by but certainly one that didn't give me a warm tingly feeling - haha.

I like to check daily just to keep track of it and see my progress.  It can be frustrating but the day I hit under 250 I will be happy...until the next day when it will likely be over 250. :blink:

Christian

I still need something to drink besides water, though.

No you don't.

Ryan M

No you don't.

Well, you're right when it comes to physically.

But I'd likely be quite miserable if I don't regularly have something with some flavor when I drink it.  Haha.

Christian

Well, you're right when it comes to physically.

But I'd likely be quite miserable if I don't regularly have something with some flavor when I drink it.  Haha.

Come up with a good protein smoothie recipe and incorporate it into your calories. Drink milk, drink (real) fruit juice. Some sugar ain't bad for you...just don't go overboard.

Get a magic bullet or a good blender and make your own drinks. You know exactly what's in it.

Ryan M

Come up with a good protein smoothie recipe and incorporate it into your calories. Drink milk, drink (real) fruit juice. Some sugar ain't bad for you...just don't go overboard.

Get a magic bullet or a good blender and make your own drinks. You know exactly what's in it.

I drink a lot of fluids throughout the day and never thought about making my own.

It's certainly worth exploring and I imagine that it's not that much more expensive than a 12 pack of cans of Diet Cokes for $5.00.  Haha.

Christian

I drink a lot of fluids throughout the day and never thought about making my own.

It's certainly worth exploring and I imagine that it's not that much more expensive than a 12 pack of cans of Diet Cokes for $5.00.  Haha.

You figure protein is <$1 a serving, and you could realistically use 1/2 a serving. Toss in half a banana, and half a cup of milk. Boom. Getting fluids and protein...and it's delicious. Use skim milk and that's probably somewhere in the realm of 180 cals.

Ryan M

You figure protein is <$1 a serving, and you could realistically use 1/2 a serving. Toss in half a banana, and half a cup of milk. Boom. Getting fluids and protein...and it's delicious. Use skim milk and that's probably somewhere in the realm of 180 cals.

Don't think I can get away with skim milk.  My girlfriend likes 1% variety but I don't expect it makes that big of a difference.

Something like this seems pretty simple:

• *1 medium banana
    *1 cup 2% milk
    *3/4 scoop of protein powder
    *1 1/2 Tbsp. natural peanut butter

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=660886

Christian