• Announcements

• iacas

Introducing TST "Clubs!"   08/28/2017

No, we're not getting into the equipment business, but we do have "clubs" here on TST now. Groups. Check them out here:
Sign in to follow this  
JayMc

First Aimpoint session this Saturday

My club has a certified Aimpoint instructor on staff (I believe he's still the only one in TN).  He does a group class every couple months, but I've had conflicts every time one was scheduled.  He's shared the basics premise with me, but I haven't had a real lesson yet.

All that will change this Saturday.  We're going to start a series of 1 on 1 Aimpoint lessons.  I'll report back afterwards, but I'm excited to start the process.

I did a 1-on-1 session as well, and I liked it. Beforehand, Erik told me to practice starting putts on the correct line and getting a feel for the speed. That will make it a lot more efficient because you'll cut down on your own errors, and you can really focus on the green reading.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks guys.  I've been really interested in Aimpoint for a while, but the majority of this year has been spent overhauling my swing (and doubling my index ).  I can't work on too much at once so I'm glad a lot of that work is coming together.  It's pretty obvious that I need to focus hard on putting over the winter.  I track my stats with SkyCaddie and it's really revealed how little I've focused on short game this year.  I've never been one who makes a lot of putts, but I don't 3 putt often.  I need to make some birdies and clutch par putts to get back down to where I want to be.

FIR - 74%

GIR - 51% (but most recent 10 rounds have been better)

Those two aren't that bad IMO.  If I can average 12 GIR per round at my home course I'm really happy since it's a tough track.  The next 3 stats are freakin pitiful though.

Putts / hole - 1.83

Putts after GIR - 1.97

Birdie putts made - 9%

My home course is very tough so my 5-6 index travels well.  I'm ready to make some birdies though

What an experience!  One of our assistant pros, Errol Helling, is the aimpoint guru at our club.  We spent a couple hours working through it and I was floored.  I'll never look at putting the same way.

Now to spend a lot of time practicing so that it becomes a faster process.

Continued improvement....

The weather in TN has been spotty.  Combine that with the really busy time of year for me at work and I haven't been out much since my aimpoint process began.  I've only managed to play 3 rounds with full aimpoint focus on the greens (plus several practice sessions working on green reading).

This past weekend I played my home course.  Temp was in the 40s with a decent wind so full swings were not as comfortable as I'd like.  I managed a 75, but the cool thing about it was the 28 putts ( 13 on front, 15 on back).  That's a course low for # of putts for me and beat my 2011 average by 5 putts.  Those 5 strokes are my index all other things being equal.

I'm digging aimpoint.  Game changing info for sure.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this