IGNORED

Best club throwing, breaking, or angry outbursts you have seen or done

Pope33
Note: This thread is 3429 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

That's funny, giving him his club back.

I don't expect much of my golf game. The more I play, the better I get within reason but I'm not good enough to get mad at my clubs

I don't think I ever thought about being mad at the clubs. That's just what's in your hand at the moment. If you take it out on the real culprit, you'd have to punch yourself in the face. I can tell you, that really hurts.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Don't do that... then you would be reminiscent of Ivan the tour player that used to do that. He would abuse himself on the course when he made a poor shot. Or so I read...

Chris

I don't play golf, I play at golf. There's a difference.

TM RBZ driver, RBZ Stage 2 Tour 3 wood, RBZ 7 wood, TM Burner 2.0 4-AW, Cleveland CG16 Black Pearl 56* sand wedge, Yes! Golf Valerie putter, Snake Eyes golf balls, TM stand bag

Back when my brother @SCfanatic35 and I were young and liked to throw clubs as stress (and comic) relief, he one time let one go a little squirrelly on him, and it got stuck in a tree.  We had to let the group behind us play through while we chucked other clubs up the tree at it to get it down.  Luckily that worked before we got more clubs stuck in the tree. :beer:

My next best memory is of nothing I actually saw happen, but as my dad and I were driving off the 18th green to the clubhouse after a round, we noticed several clubs, snapped in half and stuck into the ground under a tree just beyond the 18th.  It could very well have been nothing, but we like to imagine it was an older guy frustrated at the game who finally snapped and decided to quit right then and there. :-O

When I was about 18, my friends and I played "pitch and putt" on beach courses on Long Island occasionally. We had a friend who caddied at a ritzy country club, and he wanted to show off and show us how good he was, so we had a foursome skins game at pitch and putt at Jones Beach. On the 18th hole, he four putted from about 7 feet and lost over $100. After sinking the putt, he swung his putter over his head like a woodcutter ready to chop a big log in half with an axe, brought it down at like 6000 miles an hour into the green, burying the entire putter head in the green. He pulled it out, taking a chunk of earth about the size of a small pumpkin with him, right in the middle of the green! The guy working there ran up screaming in a colorful Long Island accent, grabbed him by the shirt, and told him to wait in the clubhouse while he called his mother or else he would press charges against him. They had to close down the course for the day, which elicited plenty of friendly greetings from people on line ready to play (stuff like "Nice job, a$*hole.") as my dejected friend sat captive in the club house. Pretty humbling stuff...

My favorite one though was this: the same guy in my other story, well, he had a father-in-law who played golf at the country club where my friend caddied. He was a scratch golfer, but had a notoriously violent temper and played for big money - like thousands of dollars a hole on occasion. One time he lost a couple of grand on a hole when he duffed a shot from a greenside bunker, leaving it in the sand. He threw his sand wedge, which bounced off the turf and whacked his caddy in the head, knocking him out for a couple of seconds and giving him a concussion. The caddy sued the guy and won some obscene amount of money, like over $100,000. I never saw the check, but several guys I knew there confirmed the story.

The worst I've done personally was go all "Bo Jackson" on my 60 wedge. It was about three years ago when I first started taking golf seriously and playing tournaments. At the time, I didn't fully understand how hard this game was, and thought that I should be better than I was. So after a day full of terrible chips/pitches, I bladed an easy greenside chip for what felt like the hundredth time and in one seamless motion raised the club with two hands and snapped the shaft down firmly over my knee. I think my playing partners were working hard to stifle their laughter and they still give me crap about it to this day (rightly so)!

These days, I still belt out the occasional swear, but I've been able to contain my club throwing. The key is embracing golf eternal truism (which was posted earlier in this thread) - I'm not good enough to get that mad!

I saw a pretty good one last Saturday. One of the guys in my group hooked a tee shot (with some kind of fairway wood) in the water.

Then he threw the club toward the water but it was too far away so it didn't reach the lake. He never said a word but went to get it. I wasn't paying much attention but heard a shaft snap in half and looked up just in time to see both pieces flying out into the lake.

When he came back to the cart he said, "Well at least I won't have to worry about that club again. Every time I play I see that club next to my bedroom door and think I can hit that club and I should put it in the bag today."

Back when my brother @SCfanatic35 and I were young and liked to throw clubs as stress (and comic) relief, he one time let one go a little squirrelly on him, and it got stuck in a tree.  We had to let the group behind us play through while we chucked other clubs up the tree at it to get it down.  Luckily that worked before we got more clubs stuck in the tree. :beer:

I didnt throw it in the tree. I was attempting to hit a real difficult shot from an impossible lie, and the club just slipped out of my hand. My caddie noticed afterwards that my grips were worn which would explain what happened.

I didnt throw it in the tree. I was attempting to hit a real difficult shot from an impossible lie, and the club just slipped out of my hand. My caddie noticed afterwards that my grips were worn which would explain what happened.

Yeah, umm, that's what I meant. ;)

By chance, did this happen at Bushwood Country Club? :-)

PK

I have only thrown a club one time ... just prove that I could throw a club farther than I could hit a golf ball with it ... the experiment was a success ... the club landed a good 10 yards farther.

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

I  must admit that on occasion I've let one fly. My best, or worse, was many years ago when I was probably around 12 years old. I was playing by myself, I try to behave when playing with others.

Anyway, I  hit a very poor wedge on the fourth hole and in frustration threw the club straight up into the air. Unfortunately I was under a large tree and the wedge got stuck there up quite high. As I pondered how to get the club out of the tree, I see the club pro come racing toward me and I knew I was in trouble. We were members of the club so I knew the pro quite well. I got a good chewing out and a three day vacation to think about my behavior.  The fourth day I'm back on the course and of course when I get to the fourth hole I look for my wedge. Not there. I'd already checked it the pro shop and no one had turned it in. I finish the hole and as I walk off the green I see my wedge propped up on the tree trunk no worse for wear.

You would think that incident would have taught me a lessen. I battle my temper on the golf course and I hate my occasional outbursts but they still happen. Maybe someday I'll learn to control myself. I know I'd play better if I do.

cubdog

Ross (aka cubdog)

A friend and I started back playing golf about 8 months ago. About two months ago my friend bought a new set of Ping G25 irons, and a new Callaway Xhot2 driver. We were loading our clubs onto the cart for his first outing with the new clubs. My friend is a little A-D-D and forgot to strap his clubs in, When we pulled off his bag fell off the cart onto the concrete cart path, putting a scratch on EVERY one of his new irons. He threw a tantrum, picked up his bag inspected the scratched up new irons and strapped his bag back onto the cart. We headed to the first tee, he was bitchin the whole way about how stupid he was for not strapping in his bag. Well on the first tee box he pulled out his new driver teed a ball up, took a practice swing, addressed the ball and made a swing, that's when the head of the driver flew down the fairway ! The fall off the cart had cracked the shaft on his new driver. He lost it ! pulled all the clubs out of his bag and started throwing them, took his bag off and threw it, I did what ANY friend would have done............ rolled around on the ground laughing.

It was the least I could do.

• Upvote 1

Derrek

Righty in the left trap

I haven't thrown a club in quite some time other than drop it in disgust.  As a former caddie I had a player 'gently' toss me a few clubs on the course but the funniest I've seen is when I played a round with Omar Uresti, Wes Short Jr, and John Sosa (if ur from Texas u know who these guys are)  Omar (nicknamed Slowmar) kinda poddles along like he does and shoots 67. Sosa shoots 65 and Wes Shoots 64 and breaks 4 clubs and utters somewhere north of 50 F Bombs that day

• 4 weeks later...

my bro,shanked his shot then threw his driver into the canal near bye,never could understand getting so angry to do such a thing,its only a game after all

It doesn't matter that it's a game. What matters is the failure. The inability to do something is very difficult to accept. It's a sense of helplessness and that turns into rage.

I suppose that golf (or other sports) just happens to be a more public demonstration of some of these kind of things. I can scream my head off in my office or at home. On the course, you are just kind of out there.

A few months back I was really struggling with my pitching from 30-70 yards.  And when I say struggling I don't mean leaving myself 20 foot putts instead of 5 foot putts, I mean I was shanking about half of them, which led to a really bad case of the yips.  Anyway I was playing a longish straight par 5.  I hit a good drive followed by a good 3 wood (which in retrospect was a mistake because I left myself the yardage I dreaded) and had about 50 yards to the green.  I walked up to my ball and I could feel the cold sweat on my forehead because I knew I could not hit this relatively simple shot.  After setting up and walking off the shot a few times and a bunch of practice swings I finally pull the trigger and sure enough, dead shank into the trees, no chance of saving par.  While holding the wedge I holstered it, letting the club head fall into my hands and then in one fluid move slammed the grip into my innocent golf bag...twice.  On the very next hole, I had a full wedge into the green and as I take it out of my bag I notice a huge dent in the shaft under the grip.  Not thinking it was a big deal I hit the shot and sure enough the shaft breaks under the grip....karma can be so fickle.

Note: This thread is 3429 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!