IGNORED

Best club throwing, breaking, or angry outbursts you have seen or done

Pope33
Note: This thread is 3450 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• 1 month later...
About a month ago my wife played a round with her daughter, one of her immature fellow attorneys and his father. After finishing a particular hole that boy wonder apparently scored less than his liking, he dropped his ball and promptly hit it as hard as he could down an adjacent road where he almost struck a man walking his dog and could have hit a moving car. She and I were playing a resort course in Maryland two weeks ago and a father and young adult son were just ahead of us. The son was playing well but the old man was struggling to keep it in the fairway. They had offered to let us play through earlier but every hole was busy so we declined. Both seemed calm at the time. They finished a hole on which the father had been OB twice. He putted out, turned and threw his ball as far as he could. Seemed out of character at the time.

They finished a hole on which the father had been OB twice. He putted out, turned and threw his ball as far as he could. Seemed out of character at the time.

I have played with several guys that throwing a ball into the wood or water after a bad hole was a superstition thing. Like the offending ball needed to be sacrificed to the golfing gods.

Respectfully,

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have sent a few clubs into lakes as a sacrifice in the past but I got plenty so didn't really care.One putter I had wasn't cooperating one day so I just held onto it as I got into the cart to go to the next hole only I  just let the putter drag along the concrete.The old saying that even god cant hit a 1 iron is true in a way.One time me and my buddy were playing and on the 17th hole a thunderstorm popped up on us with streaking lighning around us and we could hear the heavy rain coming.Well it was a long par 3 and I grabbed my old northwestern brand 1 iron.It was pouring pretty good as I was hitting and on the downswing the club slides down from my hands and instead of hitting the ball of course,my clubhead hits about a foot behind ball right into the ground snapping the shaft.Northwestern may have been the cheapest clubs their was back in the day.

I saw a guy throw his 3 wood in a pond once. He had just gotten the club a few days earlier and told us how well he'd been hitting it.

Well, after 5 or 6 holes of hitting it sideways he chucks this club in a nearby pond. The club lands near the and is submerged. 2 of the guys playing with us say they think they can fish it out. The club thrower says leave the blanket blankin club in the damn pond.They proceed to try and get it with one guy hold the other by his belt...they're leaning....leaning...the guy fishing leans just far enough to pull them both into the pond. Both of them end up in knee deep muck. I'm laughing my ass off and the club thrower says " I told you to leave the damn thing in there"

I once threw my 4 wood into the top of a pine tree. Had to climb the tree to get it out.

I used to snap shafts just by slamming the club on the ground. Loooonnnggg time ago.

I saw a guy partially break his long putter and then walk off the golf course. The thing was hanging out of his bag and flopping around, too funny.

Nothing I like to admit ... but I am an overachiever and too demanding on myself ... and this is a tough game ... golf is hard... harder for people like me ...

The one incident that cured the insanity briefly was a day at Passatiempo in 1996. Just getting over a divorce, went out to California, had played a few rounds in the Bay area and traveled south. Beautiful day, and walked. They paired me with a younger guy who was on a mission to get the round with with ... worked for Apple at a time when Apple kind of sucked... the O/S was not stable ... for Apple.

I was in decent shape but I almost had to run to keep up with this guy. I wanted to enjoy the ocean holes and scenery but now my decent play had turned into very poor play .. the steam was coming from my ears. Pissed.  Around the 4 or 5th hole, we slowed down after catching up to two women in a cart. But the damage was done. After fatting a fairway from the trees, I helicoptered the club ... it was in the general direction of the ladies but to the side... thank goodness.

After that, I surrendered to the game ... for the rest of that day.

I've had ups and downs, always had a temper because I was taught to demand perfection of myself.

Can't do it. Not meant to do it ... not at anytime and certainly not with golf. We're human...

As an older guy, I'm learning to accept the result and go on to the next shot. Don't wait 'till you're old to accept...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

When I first started playing, I hit sand shots the same as my full shots, just with an open clubface and extra steep. Needless to say I failed to get out a lot of the time.

After duffing it for the umpteenth time one round, I took it out on the sand with multiple grounding penalties. After this display, one lady in the group decided to hang back a hole and I was so embarrassed that I never did that again.

I've since learned that tension from anger or even trying to hard is counter-productive to good golf, so I do my best to stay cool. Mindset still affects my swing sometimes, but I know I'm not good enough to get real mad. It's better (and more enjoyable) just to laugh at myself or rub of the green situations like getting stuck behind (or hitting) a tree.

Kevin

I have too many to post in this forum.  But, I will give a recent encounter.

I went to Seattle in September for the Denver/Seattle game.  I looked up a college friend to play some golf.  We show up to play at Tacoma Country Club, and we are warming up and I go to putt.  He says he doesn't putt.  I knew he hated that part of the game from college and just laugh at him.  We get to the first green and he is putting with his sand wedge.  I ask him where his putter is and his friend who is playing with us tells me it is in the lake on #16.  I couldn't believe it.   He putted with the wedge the entire round and made a couple long ones.  Had maybe 31 putts for the day.

Now that is dedication.

Happy Gilmore was a Hack!

Note: This thread is 3450 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!