IGNORED

Range Finder?

motsco
Note: This thread is 4524 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I ordered a Bushnell V2 last week. All these people raving about them is making me more impatient. Hopefully it shows up tomorrow!!

Driver: :tmade: R1 S 10 degree Wood: :ping: G20 3W Hybrid: :nike:Covert Pro 3H
Irons: :tmade: Rocketbladez Tour 4i-AW KBS S SW: :cleveland: CG15 54 degree
LW: :cleveland: CG15 58 degree Putter: :tmade: Corza Ghost Ball: :tmade: Penta

I have a Leupold GX-1, which is the most basic model between 4 different ones. The other Leupold models either have an OLED display, club selector, and the 4 has the tournament key lock to disable readings other than distance.

If you know your distances and can read wind and can judge elevation, you only need the basic one. Also, unless you play golf in the dark, you don't really need the brighter OLED display.

I personally haven't tried any other models, but I'm very satisfied with the Leupold.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

I own the V2 and it is easily the single best purchase I have ever made for golf.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

[LEFT][/LEFT+1 on the V2. Pinseeker mode works great and accuracy is amazing. Good tip to use your elbows like a tripod. Also, try exhaling when you're locking onto the target. Seems to work.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

I don't think my game is good enough to justify a range-finder or GPS --- too inconsistent with aim and distance with my clubs anyways.

Originally Posted by goblue107501

My opinion is always laser >>>> GPS. Mostly the reasons iacas mentioned. I don't know for sure, but I don't think there is an 'anti-shake' laser. Pretty sure you have to hold it steady yourself. There are things you can do to help. The elbow tripod works if you are standing. If you are sitting in a cart you can rest your arms on your legs or the steering wheel, that works pretty good also. It's just something you have to figure out how to do. Once you get the hang of it, it gets easier.

Do these things have a screw-mount hole in the bottom? If so, you could buy a photographer's unipod and attach the rangefinder to that.

• Upvote 1

Do these things have a screw-mount hole in the bottom? If so, you could buy a photographer's unipod and attach the rangefinder to that.

I don't have my bag nearby, but I think the vertical ones do. I have an old Bushnell (in the style of the Bushnell V2) and I believe it has the screw on the bottom. Although I don't know who would go through the trouble of taking a separate support piece with them. IMO that would just get in the way.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

Originally Posted by zipazoid

Yeah well what do you know. You just broke 100 for the first time.

Seriously (that last sentence wasn't - I'm just funnin with ya), I just downloaded Swing By Swing to my Android phone. I'm interested in seeing how that works.

JERK!! lol. and I repeated the feat yesterday with another 96!! even though I only hit 2 fairways all round.

If you are using it in Android you must have an actual GPS enabled phone. if it uses mobile networks for your position it's useless but the GPR ones update step by step in real time.

Originally Posted by The Recreational Golfer

Presto, range finder on a stick.  You could put it in your bag like an alignment aid.  I really think it would work.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Something like this with the range finder on top...slip it right into the bag.

Short of getting a tripod or similar I don't know how to stabilize a laser.  I know some video cameras have stabilization but don't believe such systems are compatible with a laser.  Because of the aiming uncertainty (especially at longer ranges) I use a GPS and find it works well for me and would recommend it.  They are easy to use, quick and most will give distances to various targets, and if the annual subscription bothers you buy one that doesn't require that.  Accuracy is more than adequate for double digit handicaps.

I forgot to add that with a laser you need a "line of sight" to the target.  Not always possible.

Butch

Originally Posted by ghalfaire

Short of getting a tripod or similar I don't know how to stabilize a laser.  I know some video cameras have stabilization but don't believe such systems are compatible with a laser.  Because of the aiming uncertainty (especially at longer ranges) I use a GPS and find it works well for me and would recommend it.  They are easy to use, quick and most will give distances to various targets, and if the annual subscription bothers you buy one that doesn't require that.  Accuracy is more than adequate for double digit handicaps.

I forgot to add that with a laser you need a "line of sight" to the target.  Not always possible.

In 2+ seasons I'm not sure "line of sight" was ever a problem. Then again since the rangefinder confirmed my general estimation skills were adequate for a player at my skill level, I don't use the rangfinder that often. Almost never at a familiar course,

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by sean_miller

In 2+ seasons I'm not sure "line of sight" was ever a problem.

Ditto, except I've been using a laser for longer than two seasons. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My Bushnell V2 arrived on Wednesday and all I can say is it is awesome. First round I used it I made 2 birdies cause I knew exactly what distance I had to the pin. It is really useful from 20-50m too, I know I can hit my 60 degree wedge 30m and the same swing with 56 degree goes 45. If I want to take 5m off I just open the face and my stance a little. I also managed to get a flag from 220m. You have to be a bit more steady than say from 100m but it was quite easy since a light breeze was keeping the flag flapping. I always have to use two hands to hold it though, pretty hard to get a lock with only 1 hand, unless you are inside 100m.

Also if you can't get an instant lock just hold the button down to use pin seek mode. Scan left to right a few times and it will pick it up. It will usually lock onto the trees behind the pin if the flag is limp and there is not a big target. But with pin seek mode it is really easy. Really happy with the purchase and definitely think it is better than a GPS.

Driver: :tmade: R1 S 10 degree Wood: :ping: G20 3W Hybrid: :nike:Covert Pro 3H
Irons: :tmade: Rocketbladez Tour 4i-AW KBS S SW: :cleveland: CG15 54 degree
LW: :cleveland: CG15 58 degree Putter: :tmade: Corza Ghost Ball: :tmade: Penta

I have the Leupold GX-1. Super easy to use.

Pinseeker which is gold on longer ranges where it is hard to be steady enough or if it is still and the flag is not flapping around.

You can shoot bunker faces etc for carry distances and trees/scrub for dogleg layups off the tee.

Of course at my HCP it's not a guarantee of a well executed shot but it is a variable taken out of play and you can take a confident swing at the ball and a better informed decision. There is nothing worse for a high handicap player than to hit a well executed shot that ends up in trouble from over/underclubbing. You need as much value from the good ones as possible and as much positive reinforcement as you can get.

Nice and quick to use as well. I take much less time than friends on similar handicaps who take three practice swings and change their club twice before they play

I don't have a laser and so  I don't have any experience with their use in golf,  but would think that in some conditions they might have trouble with finding the pin due to poor visibility/weather or terrain conditions.  But since I don't use one for the same reasons the OP is trying to find a stabilized laser I wouldn't have a clue as to how often line of sight would be a problem.  But I'll stick by the comment that a GPS might be a better choice for someone that has unsteady hands as I have seen my buddies sometimes range to the trees behind the pin or other incorrect targets.  So the laser accuracy is contingent upon the aiming ability of the user in any case.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

In 2+ seasons I'm not sure "line of sight" was ever a problem. Then again since the rangefinder confirmed my general estimation skills were adequate for a player at my skill level, I don't use the rangfinder that often. Almost never at a familiar course,

Butch

Note: This thread is 4524 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!