IGNORED

My Swing (Beachcomber)

Beachcomber

Originally Posted by Jimbo Slice

Beachcomber swing looks pretty good , but I'm no analyst haha.

I was wondering what your overall thoughts where on this instructional/drill video, and how it worked out for you. It looks like a great vid, and I'm working on trying to get my weight and hips forward but wasn't sure how to do it. This should help me out.

Hi Jimbo, yep.  It is an excellent video which helps you understand the pivot.  Couple of key items for me that are highlighted:

1.) Right leg loses flex in the back swing.

2.) Head stays behind the ball (doesn't shift forward on the down swing).

3.) That left hip /buttocks slides along the target line - without the right buttocks leaving the window through impact.

This is actually something I'm still trying to clean up in my own golf swing.  As my pivot (right side and lower extremities) break down (at A6++++).

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by nevrino

Any nice update about you overcoming the struggle with the pivot coming soon?

Yeah, I've been working on cleaning up the pivot.  I'll post an update sometime this week (maybe tonight??).

I think I've nailed the pivot on the 6i down to my wedges (58*)?  As I can hit these clubs with precision - and clean contact nearly every shot.  On and off the course.

But still having some issues with the longer sticks... Specifically off the turf (not the tee).  So my main issue(s) remain with the 3W/3H/5H/4i/5i that are suspect.  My biggest issues with the longer clubs is finding my low point consistently - with the proper angle of attack.

Here is an example of my 3W on Trackman taken this past Spring... You can see how low I hit it.  This is with a 14.5* 3W - and when I hit it well - it rips through the air.  But mostly - low launch.

I probably need to go get a hands on lesson focused on my longer clubs? As I'm sure my setup (handle, ball and axis) could all be tweaked to improve finding my low point easier?  But my pivot needs to become fluid before I worry about that.

As the knee/foot work improves you'll start to see changes in the longer clubs.  You'll be able to use the ground to extend and raise the handle from A7-A8.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Here are a few things I noticed in the comparison...

A1

- Handle is a little too far forward.

- Trail foot is too far flared.

- Head tilt (left or right eye dominant?)... My vision is 20/20 so I don't have an eye which is stronger or weaker - I've been tilting head left to help with head position through A7.

A2

- Too much hands - not enough shoulder turn

- Left shoulder needs to turn which will get handle away from right thigh

A3

- Shaft is nice and vertical - I don't see any issues here other than a closed clubface (still )

A4

- Check left knee cap  / shin placement - weight heavily on left (maybe too much - too early??)

A5

- Need more lag - shaft angle should be less than 90* between left arm

A6

- Right elbow placement looks off - needs to be tighter to my side and in front of my right hip

- Need a high speed camera to see better

A6.xx to A7

- Feet look better - but left leg needs to be straighter

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

A1

- Head tilt (left or right eye dominant?)... My vision is 20/20 so I don't have an eye which is stronger or weaker - I've been tilting head left to help with head position through A7.

A2

A3

- Shaft is nice and vertical - I don't see any issues here other than a closed clubface (still )

A4

- Check left knee cap  / shin placement - weight heavily on left (maybe too much - too early??)

A5

A6

- Right elbow placement looks off - needs to be tighter to my side and in front of my right hip

A6.xx to A7

Wow that's a big list . You have done some nice changes, I tried to see for differences between you and grant but had a hard time, they look so similiar now. If you say weight is heavily on left at A4 that's something I'd worry about, I think it's the only thing of what you mentioned above which could have a big impact on your swing. I'd also turn in the right foot  there's a fine line between looking like a golf pro and a clown .

A1

A2

A3

- Shaft is nice and vertical - I don't see any issues here other than a closed clubface (still )

A4

A5

A6

A6.xx to A7

Looks nice!  I'm curious though... with a list like this how do you decide what to work on first?

In my bag

Driver:      SLDR 10.5*

Hybrids:   Taylormade RBZ Stage 2

Irons:       NikeVR PRO 4-PW

Wedges:   Nike VR Pro 50* 54* 58*

Putter:      2014 Newport 2

Ball:          E6

Originally Posted by Hoganwoods

Looks nice!  I'm curious though... with a list like this how do you decide what to work on first?

Yeah - I'm not working on everything at once.  The tweaks at A1 can be done without a club while I'm standing around in the house.  Just fix the right foot flare (reduce it) and bring my hands a little more down - just inside my left leg (a tad closer to center)... These are simple address mods that I see when comparing myself to the model.

A2 - that will take some work as it will require my left shoulder to turn sooner - and I don't want to over do it.  So I'll just ease that left shoulder turn into my practice swings and monitor how it looks on camera.

A4 - loading of the hips will effect have a chain effect on the loading of the thighs, knees, shin and feet.  This is a pivot move - which I've been working on and need to continue to work on - this is my major focus right now.

A5++++ Alll this will be a focus at a later date... But as long as I do #1 and #2 below - I can play decent golf (mid 70's).

(1.) Right now the biggest things I need to monitor are my right elbow placements (backswing at A2/A3/A4)

- Too much left shoulder turn tends to lead to a right elbow tends to creeping behind me - which causes issues at A5 down to impact at A6.

(2.) Loading of weight on right/left sides in the backswing/downswing (pivot)

- Leads to off balance swings - lose control of the line of compression which leads to mishits and loss of power

Originally Posted by nevrino

Wow that's a big list . You have done some nice changes, I tried to see for differences between you and grant but had a hard time, they look so similiar now. If you say weight is heavily on left at A4 that's something I'd worry about, I think it's the only thing of what you mentioned above which could have a big impact on your swing. I'd also turn in the right foot  there's a fine line between looking like a golf pro and a clown .

Hahha - big list when I write it down like that... But it isn't that daunting because I'm focused primarily on the right elbow (backswing) and pivot (back and downswing).  As long as those are precise and clean - I can hit the ball very well.  Oh, and no more clown feet!

A2

- Left shoulder needs to turn (DOWN MORE) which will get handle away from right thigh

I added something to your quote.  Your shoulders turn away too flat which sends your hands on the wrong path.  I'm not convinced the "looking at your hands on the takeaway" thing is a good idea either.  It seems to tend to make people get handsy and turn the shoulders too flat in my experience.  Also, make sure there is enough weight on the trailing foot at address to be able to feel like you can push the hips forward.  Weight too far forward at address tends to make people spin the hips instead of pressing them so they don't lose their balance.  Other than that, nice work again.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

• 2 weeks later...

Just making a note here so I don't forget...

Mechanics Notes 09/04/12:

- Focus on inside path from A1 to A3 to square clubface at A4.

- Issue found is this creates an outside path on downswing - which in turn increased heel contact and shanks.

- Need DTL film to prove mods and identify flaws.

Video range session is in store for tomorrow night!

Just making a note here so I don't forget...

Mechanics Notes 09/04/12:

- Focus on inside path from A1 to A3 to square clubface at A4.

- Issue found is this creates an outside path on downswing - which in turn increased heel contact and shanks.

- Need DTL film to prove mods and identify flaws.

Video range session is in store for tomorrow night!

Quick update... It wasn't my hands/arm path - determined that my head was leaning into the ball on the backswing.... And then I wasn't able to make clean contact on the downswing.  Was hitting terrible hosel rockets.  All is good in the hood.

New video will be posted soon.

Quick update... It wasn't my hands/arm path - determined that my head was leaning into the ball on the backswing.... And then I wasn't able to make clean contact on the downswing.  Was hitting terrible hosel rockets.  All is good in the hood.

Been there, done that :)

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

This past weekend I attended an Aimpoint clinic in San Diego.  It was awesome!

I highly recommend any of you who are looking for a way to take your putting to another level - to check it out.  I threw together a short video tonight at the practice green.  It's only a 5' putt - but the 4% slope on a green running at 9 on the stimp isn't exactly an easy putt!!  But with the help of Aimpoint, I feel like I have a lot better chance of sinking these type of testers now on a regular basis!!

Cheers to Erik, and Dave for running the clinic... And Mike for looking out for me.

Nice!

Please refer to 1:50 of this video for the appropriate response to consistently making these out on the course.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Originally Posted by Stretch

Nice!

Please refer to 1:50 of this video for the appropriate response to consistently making these out on the course.

That is awesome!  You might want to make sure you are either going spikeless or are off the green before you start the dance.  (It certainly has a name, but I don't know what it is)