IGNORED

My Swing (Beachcomber)

Beachcomber

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

You better get out there every day this week.  I don't want to hear any excuses Sunday after you lose!!!

You better take some of your own advice there Bubba.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Definitely better with the turning rates.  We'll talk about this (below) Sunday, how it relates to the turning rates and the right elbow (which also looks much better).

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• Administrator
Originally Posted by mvmac

Definitely better with the turning rates.  We'll talk about this (below) Sunday, how it relates to the turning rates and the right elbow (which also looks much better).

Go figure!?!?!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Mike / Erik, thank you for the comments.  I'm glad you guys feel the right elbow is getting better by cleaning up the turning rates and getting that right leg/hip better situated.  I'm really seeing some positive results from getting it cleaned up... Now I just need to put 18 holes together (fingers crossed it will click and I'll get a nice round in on Sunday).

• 1 month later...

Beach, I didn't know you'd followed me to PA!!!

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Ha!  Is that pink?

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Its more of a magenta...

• Upvote 1

"If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf."

• 4 weeks later...

I was hitting it very well here on Sunday at the range... My grip felt nice and sound.  I could feel the shaft loading really well, and just made nice clean contact and shallow divots for the session.  It felt damn good.  Probably the best I've hit the ball in I don't know how long?

I have to give a little shout out to the local pro here at the Costa Mesa range.  On Saturday, I was hitting balls, and the pro came over and was chatting with me while I was hitting balls.  And I'd hit like 4 or 5 good to great shots, followed by a shank, or a hook.  It was pretty bad.  My bad shots were terrible and was disgusting to watch and embaressing to hit.

After about four or five good shots followed by a bad... I just looked at him and kind of threw my hands up and said how can I be so inconsistent? And he said, 'You need to find that guy.'  I said which guy?  He said 'The guy that is hitting those great golf shots. You need to channel that guy and be him on every shot.'  I looked back at him and said... You know I think you're right?

Then he told me...  'That guy who just shanked that 8i... That was'nt you.'  Then he went on and told me a story about Jack Nicklaus, who back in the day was doing a Pro Am/Instructional event, and Jack hit a shank on one of the shots.  And then afterward, someone from the press interviewed Jack and asked him about the shank.  And Jack looked at the guy and said.... I have never shank the golf ball. Never.  And the guy interviewing Jack said something like - Yeah you did.  I saw you hit a shank.  And Jack glared at him and said, I don't think you heard me the first time.  I have never shanked the golf ball.

After he told me that.... I told myself.  I'm not going to be afraid to hit the golf ball ever again.  I'm going to hit the ball with confidence.  I'm going to get that pep in my step again... Like I used to have in High School, and just have confidence oozing from my soul.  Well tonight, I took that state of mind to the range, and it was amazing the results.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by theworldengine

Whats the idea behind the bowed wrist

What bowed wrist?  It looks flat to me.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Originally Posted by cipher

So is his hat.........but I have no problems with that.

For me, usually if I'm not confident in a shot (or hitting a certain club), my tendency is to not follow through all the way mostly because I tense up due to some hesitation. You hear it all the time from commentators about not being "committed to that shot" after a poor shot. I think you can also say they weren't "confident" in that shot and that's why they hit it poorly.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

Originally Posted by theworldengine

Whats the idea behind the bowed wrist

The idea? It's just an anatomical anomaly found in my swing?  I don't consciously do it... It just happens.

I've tried to actively cup my wrist at address (middle image), and maintain that cup throughout the swing. But have found during the loading of the shaft - into the transition from A4 to A4++++ it just happens to palmar flex or bowe (right image).  For the most part I can get away with it, but when my tempo gets too quick, my longer irons and fairways tend to come off at a lower trajectory than I'd like to see.

Working with the 5SK/Evolvr guys, the swing pattern that they have me working on is ideal to hit a push draw.  But to be honest, my ball flight tends to be pretty straight to a slightly straight pull.  Some of that I believe is the result of my wrist conditions (bowed) which leads to a slightly closed clubface at impact.

Ultimately, I'd like to hit high push draws - or even high pull cuts.... My dynamic loft needs to improve...  And that can only happen if I can bring my angle of attack - and approach on the positive side.

The big issue I have is with Key #1 at A7:

And I believe it still has to do with the way I bring the arms down at A5 to A7.  I think I need more Ben Hogan / Jason Duffner pitched right elbow - and connection to my belly... And more Tiger Woods inclination to the ground.  I lose my inclination to the ground from A5++ and thus why I have that abbreviated finish and reverse C.

I don't know if it is lack of strength in my abs, glutes and legs or what?  But it is a hard issue to resolve.  You can see in the DTL video that my head pulls off the vertical line of the ball (early extension).  Right knee kicks in toward the ball.

Originally Posted by cipher

I agree.  It's definitely not cupped, but doesn't look bowed either.  It is flat like the hat.  (What a tool.) ;)

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I agree.  It's definitely not cupped, but doesn't look bowed either.  It is flat like the hat.  (What a tool.) ;)

It's bowed a hair, and the face is closed.