IGNORED

Rumor: Rickie Fowler switches to Cobra Golf

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4466 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The Puma rep was in our club in December and mentioned that Cobra/Puma would probably be picking up Rickie. Show me the $$$$$$$. These guys can play with anybody's equipment!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by mymizunosrock

I'll agree that the greens and the blues are a little off, but his Sunday orange is great...

I like Rickie (as a golfer, not a person) and root for him to do well, but his wardrobe is hideous to me.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I heard that Puma will soon be coming out with their own line of clubs.  Anyone else here this?

DRIVER Taylormade R11S w/ Tour AD DI-7S 3 WOOD Taylormade R11S RIP Phenom Stiff 16.5 HYBRID Taylormade Rocketballz Tour Stiff IRONS 4-6 iron Taylormade MC w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff IRONS 7-PW Taylormade MB w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff WEDGES Titleist Vokey SM4 Black Nickel 52.12, 56.11, 60.10 PUTTER NIKE METHOD 001 33', Taylormade Ghost Spider 33' BAG ADIDAS AG Tour Stand Bag BALLS TITLEIST PRO-V1X SHOESADIDAS ADIPURE GPS SKYCADDIE SGX

Originally Posted by evan01

The Puma rep was in our club in December and mentioned that Cobra/Puma would probably be picking up Rickie. Show me the $$$$$$$. These guys can play with anybody's equipment!

I don't know about that...ask Graeme McDowell.  He has completely lost it since leaving Callaway.  I mean he is still better than all of us, but it is night and day compared to 2010

DRIVER Taylormade R11S w/ Tour AD DI-7S 3 WOOD Taylormade R11S RIP Phenom Stiff 16.5 HYBRID Taylormade Rocketballz Tour Stiff IRONS 4-6 iron Taylormade MC w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff IRONS 7-PW Taylormade MB w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff WEDGES Titleist Vokey SM4 Black Nickel 52.12, 56.11, 60.10 PUTTER NIKE METHOD 001 33', Taylormade Ghost Spider 33' BAG ADIDAS AG Tour Stand Bag BALLS TITLEIST PRO-V1X SHOESADIDAS ADIPURE GPS SKYCADDIE SGX

Well, GMac's problem may not be equipment related. Darren Clarke won the B Open, did not change clubs yet has not shot par in 8 months.  Most of the pros could score well using a hickory root and money is a  HUGE driver.  Just read that Tiger is accepting more than US$2,000,000.00 to  play in Dubai. That is a ton of money just to show your face.

A known fact is that 99% of beer drinkers  cannot identify 'their' brand if the bottles are not shown. Pros golfers probably about the same-paint all the clubs black and see the result,

I would like to hit the new Cobra irons and driver and woods. I think it could be good for Fowler, he hasn't won anything so its not like the Gmac thing, maybe he will start winning because he is more comfortable

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Originally Posted by jhwmusic

I heard that Puma will soon be coming out with their own line of clubs.  Anyone else here this?

Well, Puma own Cobra Golf, so it's possible that they'd bring out a line that the general public recognises. Might be a smart move, to rebrand Cobra as Puma.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

They may be considering that but first want to try to brand associate Cobra very closely to Puma and RIckie to see if that will work i.e. the new orange website and AMP clubs.

Originally Posted by Shorty

Well, Puma own Cobra Golf, so it's possible that they'd bring out a line that the general public recognises. Might be a smart move, to rebrand Cobra as Puma.

Joe Paradiso

That is actually what i heard...I was told by a titleist rep that he had heard that cobra would eventually be dissolved and become Puma Golf. So it will basically be Cobra club technology with Pumas logo...and I'm sure some extra trendy splatter paint designs. The headcovers will probably be flat brim hats cocked to the side. ha ha

Originally Posted by mhotton94

bplewis24 why dont you like Rickie as a person? Because as far as I can see, he has done nothing wrong.

Try not to interpret that as me dis liking him as a person.  I don't dislike him.

It basically means I don't root for him because of his personality off the golf course or his character, per se, but more because he's a young American with a mostly self-made swing that isn't cut from the same mold as most golfers.  So I sort of want him to be successful, but it's almost strictly golf-based because I don't know much else about him.

However, I can't stand his fashion-sense :)

Brandon

Originally Posted by bplewis24

.  So I sort of want him to be successful, but it's almost strictly golf-based because I don't know much else about him.

However, I can't stand his fashion-sense :)

I don't have a problem with his fashion sense, but the sycophantic sucking up to Oklahoma State is just over the top.

So what if he went there? Why would that mean that he has to dress in orange on Sundays? Does he have to guarantee himself a fan base?

It'd be one thing to have a logo as a nod to the place, but why the OTT all orange? I don't get it.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Shorty

I don't have a problem with his fashion sense, but the sycophantic sucking up to Oklahoma State is just over the top.

So what if he went there? Why would that mean that he has to dress in orange on Sundays? Does he have to guarantee himself a fan base?

It'd be one thing to have a logo as a nod to the place, but why the OTT all orange? I don't get it.

I don't mind dressing in some orange (other players from orange-colored schools have done this), but the head-to-toe (literally) orange is ridiculous.

He kept his vokeys, but it looks like he got a prototype MB iron. So much for not having options, it seems they designed that iron set for him... He kept his hybrid as well, so either Cobra is still working on clubs for him or it's only like a 9 club contract.

I think the main value of the endorsement is the driver, so I don't think it matters much what else he uses. Rickie will sell thousands of those hideous drivers.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

I saw the commercial last night.  Pretty ho-hum from a marketing standpoint.

Brandon

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Quote:

Originally Posted by mymizunosrock

Quote:

Yeah, with Titleist he has . . . 2.

Well, its actually 3 as mentioned. Not a wide variety, but I never said that. I think I used the term "options".

Quote:

CB and MB are no different than the S3 C and S3 M variations so that counts as 1.

The AP2 is actually similar (in photos) to the Amp just in less gaudy colours.

The Cobra S3 Pro's are a combo set, a mixture of cavity and muscle back. The CB and MB are 2 different models, as mentioned.

Looks are about as close as the AP2 and AMP get. They could not be any different.

I'll give you that. Fowler had more options at Titleist. Not as many as he'd have at TaylorMade, Callaway. Mizuno, Cleveland. etc, but certainly more than he'll have at Cobra.

Having said that, he plays (played) a full set of blades with Titleist, so why would options matter? And besides, if he wants musclebacks in the long irons, they'll make them for him even if they don't release any sets to the general public. I don't recall ever seeing anything Greg Norman ever hit in the local golf shops when he was with Cobra either. Rickie will be okay.

Just like Greg Norman's MacGregors and Cobras were essentially the same irons, Cobra has worked up a proto set for Rickie that is essentially the 710 MBs with a retro COBRA font very similar to the Norma era.

So, to summarize, in a shocking development in the golf equipment world, Rickie Fowler unveils his new Cobra bag and it's filled with musclebacks. The internet is abuzz with high res WITB pics and could they be any more orange?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Like I had said before, Cobra and Fowler is more of a win-win than any other combination. Cobra gets a potential niche market overnight and Fowler gets to be the marquee staff player.  This didn't happen with Titleist and it sure would not have happened with Cally either.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Note: This thread is 4466 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!