IGNORED

A Centered Pivot Golf Swing

mvmac
Note: This thread is 1812 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Wanted to put this together to explain an important aspect of what a centered pivot looks like and the movements that are involved.

• Upvote 3

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Excellent description of the centered pivot!

The only thing I would also add to the description would be that the rear shoulder does the reverse of the left, e.g at the same pace that the left shoulder moves to the right and down to match the middle point between shoulder and hip, the right shoulder moves up and left the same amount . When I started out with a centered pivot my concentration was so much on how to move the left shoulder I would ignore the right shoulder which ended up in a 'sway' of the upper body.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Thanks, Michael - great viewing for an insomniac when I first saw this at 3 am - From site and placing my fingers on the screen, it looks as if Donald moves his hips and head about an inch or so (more or less) to the right; his weight moves onto the right foot and then he recovers all of it as he moves slightly left at the top of the swing.

Great analysis.

Can you do another video focusing on the downswing? Legs, Hips, Shoulders, Ches, and Arms (or some of the preceding). Thanks.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Thanks, Michael - great viewing for an insomniac when I first saw this at 3 am - From site and placing my fingers on the screen, it looks as if Donald moves his hips and head about an inch or so (more or less) to the right; his weight moves onto the right foot and then he recovers all of it as he moves slightly left at the top of the swing.

Thanks, very that last second move back to the center can be somewhat common.  Nick Price, from the video's I seen also does a similar move.  As well as Mac O'Grady, almost an extension and a tilt

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Can you do another video focusing on the downswing? Legs, Hips, Shoulders, Ches, and Arms (or some of the preceding). Thanks.

Video on the downswing with those pieces is noted

Mike McLoughlin

Thanks Michael,

Great explanation - I am not a huge follower or even fully understand the snt method (as I haven't done a lot of research on it), but I do agree and like the center pivot idea that you have explained here.  I used to try and get my weight over my back foot and transfer it forward and it was not very successful.  Since I have started trying to keep my weight centered, I have had a lot more success particularly with my contact with the ball.

Thanks again.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

Mike, since you know my swing so well, see if I have this correct in terms of this video.

I am basically moving my shoulder "back" more than "down"and that's what continues to cause me to come up and off the ball in the backswing.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by gwlee7

Mike, since you know my swing so well, see if I have this correct in terms of this video.

I am basically moving my shoulder "back" more than "down"and that's what continues to cause me to come up and off the ball in the backswing.

Greg, you're simply not moving your shoulder down enough long enough. You move down and back, then you continue the back but the down stops and then switches to up.

The shoulder should make a quarter circle arc if it turns 90 degrees. At no point in the backswing (to 90) should the shoulder ever move up or even level.

Analyzr Image Export.jpg

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yep.   Thanks "not Mike". Obviously, you know my swing just as well as Mike does as you've seen the "killing a snake with hoe" swing in person.  Still trying to find the time to get up there and check out the indoor teaching facility.

I will get this down someday.  I need to continue to visulalize that left shoulder moving circular instead of linear.

Originally Posted by gwlee7

What Erik said Yes, Greg, more DOWN with the left shoulder.  More side tilt.

Elk Side Tilt.jpg

Mike McLoughlin

Originally Posted by mvmac

What Erik said  Yes, Greg, more DOWN with the left shoulder.  More side tilt.

Exaggeration is a very important step in trying to fix something you've done for ever.  You always feel as if your doing whatever it is your supposed to be doing, but most of the time you are not doing it enough.  When you try to exaggerate it, you will gain way better feel for this movement.

Tiger90

• 3 weeks later...

Notice how the shoulders are moving.  This is Heath Slocum with his instructor Mark Blackburn

Mike McLoughlin

Notice how the shoulders are moving.  This is Heath Slocum with his instructor Mark Blackburn

I played on the same college golf team as Mark Blackburn. His transformation into one of the best coaches in the US is nothing short of miraculous. He couldn't break 90 and didn't have a clue when I knew him. He must have really pulled his sh¡t together once he left college.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Originally Posted by The_Pharaoh

I played on the same college golf team as Mark Blackburn. His transformation into one of the best coaches in the US is nothing short of miraculous. He couldn't break 90 and didn't have a clue when I knew him. He must have really pulled his sh¡t together once he left college.

Wow, that is really interesting.  I know he was or is an authorized Golfing Machine guy, which is all the pressure point, accumulator lingo we use.  Might have also spent some time with Mac, but I'm not sure on that one.  He's put out some good short articles in the golf mags, so he's in the circle

Mike McLoughlin

Wow, that is really interesting.  I know he was or is an authorized Golfing Machine guy, which is all the pressure point, accumulator lingo we use.  Might have also spent some time with Mac, but I'm not sure on that one.  He's put out some good short articles in the golf mags, so he's in the circle

Other than him accepting my LinkedIn invite about 3 years ago, we've had no contact since we left college! Reading his website though, he seems to have studied with a lot of excellent instructors so he has obviously picked up a tip or two along the way!

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Mike,

Nice video, sir.  Let's pretend I was going to practice turning my left shoulder down to the correct position.  If I setup a gadget that held the end of a stick at the correct destination spot (or had someone hold it there), where exactly would that be?  It appears the height would be about where the bottom button of a polo shirt would be.  How about distance out from the chest?

Thanks - Darryl

Note: This thread is 1812 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!