IGNORED

HOGANS SECRET "CHAIN ACTION"

Note: This thread is 4507 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ben Hogan gave us the clues and laid down the foundation in five fundamentals to his secret.he told us that pronation sorted out his faulty backswing and the two adjustments transformed his game.he said it was like learning to play all over again.this breakthrough came after his disappointing finish in the masters of 1946. it worked right away and he practiced it all day for a week then tried it under tournament conditions where he won.that win could have been at the tam o'shanter but that was played in august.more likely it was at marvin leonards inaugural colonial invitational played in may where he blitzed the field with a final round course record 65 beating fort worths other favorite son byron nelson by six shots.

hogan said he was at his best in 47/48  before his 1949 accident and his record confirms that even though he won the bulk of his majors on a limited schedule after the accident.

Ben said there are five fundamentals to learn -grip stance posture pivot plane and considered three fundamental movements necessary in any good golf swing. they are the proper waggle correct hip turn and swing plane. these are needed to produce chain action.hogans action timed the strike and gave him a edge.it wasnt reliant on rhythm and timing like modern golf swings.he said all you needed to groove were the fundamental movements and there weren't many of them.moreover they were movements that were basically controllable and could be executed fairly well whether you happened to be sharp or not that day.He said "even when i was not at my best my ball striking took on a new more stable consistency".

the experts have argued for forty years or more what his secret was without actually hitting on it, finally asking the question "did he tell us everything?". (see golf digest march 1994) the mystique has continued to grow.

hogans chain action swing had been stripped down to the bare essentials (his five fundamentals plus the two adjustments ) this gave him tremendous power and accuracy and an edge over his competitors. Ben had spent fourteen years on and off the tour trying to work it out.he had found "the secret" and he certainly wasn't going to tell anyone or give it to them on a silver platter.

You can learn these movements quicker than you think to build a solid foundation but it takes practice and intelligent application.

every individual is different but the objective is to build a sound swing by executing the proper fundamentals.

the average golfer fails to realize that an incorrect stance and faulty posture effects the success of the entire swing. this will affect the pivot making it inconsistent.the chain action golf swing is a sequence and is controlled by the proper grip and waggle.assuming that your stance and posture is correct this will help automate your swing and carry you through to a full balanced finish. more on the two adjustments next post .steveR

Really because I can pick out a hundred different grips, stances, posture, and swing planes just on the pga tour alone.  I love how people think if you setup in a certain posture then everything just works out.  Only thing that  matters is impact and controlling the clubface.  Hogan had a great swing and accomplished alot but, there is no secret to figure out.

BTW nice first post is this your bait technique ?

Driver: Titleist 915 D3
3 wood: 15 Callaway X Hot pro
Hybrids:  18 Callaway X Hot Pro
Irons: 4-GW Callaway Apex
project x 6.0
Wedges: 54 , 58 Callaway
Putter: 2 ball
Ball: Callaway Chrome

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hogan never had a secret, which heaps of instructors claim to know. It's a total crock. Hogan just practiced harder than most others and grooved a consistently good swing that produced the same curve almost every time.

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Hogan's Haters...lol

Hogan was known for his ability to work the ball and to use the correct flight that the hole called for which kind of goes against the same curve theory.  Personally, I love the Mystique and stories so keep it coming.  Welcome to the forum!

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

cheers hogan project thanks for the advice.you might get there one day with the elbows.controversary breeds debate and discussion.follow hogans direction with his fundamentals re stance etc and pronate on the backswing.read about what he says about the waggle and swing plane for an insight.this sets you up for chain action.most golfers move left to start the downswing breaking the stored up power of the backswing.the correct movement of the hips is critical at this point.if you make the correct move your body will bow out towards the target and your shoulders will tilt and your club will drop into plane. hogan says in your posted video to release the club at the bottom. try it you might be surprised. steveR

Steve,

Thanks for the post.  Discussion is always good for learning.

One thing that would help us reading your posts would be proper punctuation and Capital letters.  Your post looks like one long sentence and it makes it hard to read.

Also, space out the paragraphs.  The content of your post is worth reading.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Thanks boogielicious.I'll take the advice onboard and practice my typing skills. In the meantime check out what's in Five Fundamentals.Look at the stance diagrams and note the position of the feet.

Having a slightly wider and closed stance works wonders in achieving the correct pivot movement.

Create resistance and torque in your right leg as you pivot on the backswing.(Notice the right knee position here.

Something the experts talk about.)

Combine this with backswing pronation (Hogans Secret-Life mag article) and you will feel the correct top of the backswing position.Read about the waggle in five fundamentals to get a clearer understanding if you need to. What you have actually done here is set yourself to release "chain action". With the proper hip action from here you (read previous post) release the club back to square and hang on.You'll suddenly become aware of the tremendous stored up power that you have.(see the drawing and explanation of bens strong man 5 fundamentals)  steveR

Quote:

cheers hogan project thanks for the advice.you might get there one day with the elbows.controversary breeds debate and discussion.follow hogans direction with his fundamentals re stance etc and pronate on the backswing.read about what he says about the waggle and swing plane for an insight.this sets you up for chain action.most golfers move left to start the downswing breaking the stored up power of the backswing.the correct movement of the hips is critical at this point.if you make the correct move your body will bow out towards the target and your shoulders will tilt and your club will drop into plane. hogan says in your posted video to release the club at the bottom. try it you might be surprised. steveR

Steve, can you post a few of your swing videos somewhere for us to view? youtube maybe?

All I'm going to say on the matter is:

796f81361b5b0d8f4ee8e1f226f311df.jpg

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Come on guys you don't see he is fishing for business.

Got this off his website.

Quote:
Learn my "Chain Action" swing and improve your game guaranteed.
Cut up to 10 shots from your score. Learn the sequence and own it.
Purchase the limited edition Hogan's Secret "Chain Action" CD/DVD online and recieve 3 months internet coaching to help you learn and keep improving. Also included with your purchase is the cd-book "Hogan's Road" by Henny Bogan which highlights thirty years of golf  and experiences on tour.
The swing you will learn has been stripped down to the absolute essentials and will give you a repeatable and powerful action to lower your score and enjoy your golf more. With practice and application your game will take on a new dimension.Every individual is different but the objective is to build a sound swing by executing the proper fundamentals so you will have a swing that will function properly.

Limited Edition "Chain Action" -$195.00 #
Private Tuition -use 'contact us' page for times and details

#3months internet coaching = 2 online lesson per month

Another hogan nut trying to make a buck off the desperate. Grab your wife's pocket book so you can get the chain action swing now!!

project x 6.0

Cheers Poser thanks for the free publicity. lol. opinions are like backsides poser, everyones got one and the're all different.

I understand your cynical but i know this information is worth the price of three PGA lessons. All the other supposed Hogan nuts give it away for nothing and this info is too valuable for that.

Hogan said he left it for us to work out and from my professional experience of 35 years their might be two other people worldwide that know.

Obviously your happy with where your game is!!!   Sure I'm looking for business but the chances of you having a lesson with me are proberly zero.

But I'm still happy to help any golfer work it out online.

As I've said previously it's Hogans five fundamentals plus the two delicate adjustments that will transform your game period. I've given you the basics to set up chain action.

Now look at and work on what your doing in your pivot. The move is lateral first. If you are aware of your body you will notice the bow. What I refer to as the "archers bow".

As an excercise in awareness try this. Stand erect feet shoulder width apart hands on hips. Now move your hips laterally to the left (RH) and notice what your body does.

With rehearsal and practice you should be aware of what the delicate adjustment is and if you're a quick learner you might work out what the second adjustment could be!

More about that later. So in the meantime what do you have to lose except a few strokes off your score. steveR

re- Hogan Project Happy to do something in the new year. Keep working on it. It's worth the effort.

Just remember the value is in applying his fundamentals, not copying his swing. If you understand and apply them you will have the desired look.

This is in response to previous Sand Trap question - "Hogan's Secret" Does anyone know what it really is?

Lets see that swing of yours.. I would like to see the action first hand.

project x 6.0

Like Ben said (Poser) the informations there for you to try. It's not that big a mystery if you know where to look. In person I could show you in about 15 or 20 minutes. With a week or two's practice you own it !!  So if your interested go and try what I've said so far and have a go at working it out for yourself. Then let me know where your at. As I said to (hogan project) in the new year. It's all about applying these fundamentals to your swing not copying Hogan's. So read what I've said, digest it and try it. You'll know when you've done it right. You'll notice a difference in trajectory,  accuracy and up to 20 yards extra distance. Funny thing too it sounds different. Like Ben said it takes intelligent application.

Quote:

Come on guys you don't see he is fishing for business.

Got this off his website.

Another hogan nut trying to make a buck off the desperate. Grab your wife's pocket book so you can get the chain action swing now!!

Whoa! Lol, come on now Steve Ratcliffe. Wouldn't it have been better if you just said you were doing Hogan sales stuff up front??

Man, You have gotta put your swing up now lol. I am soooooooooooooooooooooo curious to see it.

Quote:

At the sake of repeating myself go and try what I've said so far and get back to me with your progress. So have another read and get the practice bag out.Merry Christmas steveR

So, what is your website? I'm not interested in buying anything, but I am always interested in persons that speak a lot about what Hogan was doing. I've put in a lot of hours analyzing video and now have an idea of what things to look for regarding Hogan mechanics or positions, or dynamics.

You sound like an instructor, but I am not sure. Your swing video would speak volumes. When can you post it here? How about your students? Or the people that have purchased your DVD?

I just don't get why you wouldn't put it up for everyone to see?? Heck, look at my sucky over-the-top, crap shoot swing. It's here for everyone to laugh at lol.

When can you post it?

Note: This thread is 4507 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!