IGNORED

Are you left handed?

Note: This thread is 3427 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am a left handed golfer and batter but right handed in all other tasks.

I found this article fascinating and wondered how it would relate to golf.

My friend who is a pro claims putting left handed has an advantage.

'What are your thoughts?

Excerpt and link:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/being-left-handed-brings-mental-health-risks-reward-163753125.html

I don't think there is an inherent advantage to golf either way.  Just what is comfortable for you.  There was a time when left handed clubs and instruction was difficult to obtain but those days seem to be gone.  But I am pretty much the opposite of you.  I play right handed but do most things, like throw a ball, eat, write, etc. left handed.  I tried playing left handed for awhile with I first began years ago but for a lot of reasons after a few years decided to switch and am pretty sure I'm better off today for that switch.

Me;

R - Writing

R - Throwing/Bowling (cricket)

L - Golf

L - Batting (cricket, whatever)

R - Putting (this is new)

L - Foot kicker

I do have limited ability to do all of the above on the opposite side. I used to be able to throw pretty well at the stumps from close range with the left hand (indoor cricket etc)

I can swing right handed, in fact, a LOT of people say I have a better right handed swing, although there's ZERO power in it I think.

My new favourite shot is the right handed chip with my left handed SW turned over so the toe is leading to the target. Sometimes I swing right handed and just use the back of my 4i or something if I need to get away from a tree.

What's interesting in our family is the my brother is exactly the same BUT he kicks right footed (well, naturally anyway)

I'm very left handed.

I write, golf, throw, bat LH.

But I do shoot a gun and bow RH.  The reason is I'm right eye dominant and can't close my right only.  Also, my vision is better in my right eye.

I do nearly everything left handed, including shooting, (I'm left eye dominant).  But I golf right handed.  I sometimes wonder about putting right handed and being left eye dominant, it seems like an advantage to me.  Of course my putting stats don't reflect any advantage.

I do everything right handed except golf I play left handed I can't say I see a huge advantage. I have read that leading with your more dominant arm helps but I can't really say that's true either.

my two brothers and I are all left handed. Two of us play golf. I swing right he swings left. similar swings but mirrored. my drives are longer. same brand  club and shaft.  we are of similar golf skill. i swing his clubs fooling around and I enjoy his putter. ew did i say that. hahaha he plays fades on holes i have to draw so depending on the course he could have advantage since he plays a controlled fade his left handed draw is mediocre at best. lol

Me:

L - Writing

L - Throwing/Bowling

L - Golf, currently, but played a few years R

L - Batting

L - Putting, even when I played R, but could put R if I had to

L - Tennis, Ping pong and over hand serve in Volleyball

R- Under-hand serve feels more comfortable this way in Volleyball and when I played sock ball as a kid

R - Foot kicker

I do have limited ability to do all of the above on the opposite side, much better than most Righties, but not fully ambidextrous.

I can swing right handed, in fact, a LOT of people said I had a better right handed swing, and I broke 80 within a year after switching to righty as a teenager, but found that when I started playing less frequently in College, I didn't feel as comfortable as from the left side and switched back.  If I didn't touch a club either way for a year, definitely more power from the left side.

I am left eye dominant, but read a long time ago that a disproportionate number of good hitters in baseball are cross eye dominate.  The theory was that it was an advantage having your lead eye dominant, particularly when it came to picking up the curve ball.

Did any of you guys read about that baseball player who pitches with both hands- heard about him a few years ago, but haven't followed the sport much recently and not sure if he made it to the majors or not.

L - writing

R - everything else, golf, baseball, basketball, soccer etc.

I've always been confused about hearing from people which side should be dominant in the golf swing and tried both, but I've found that I'm much more consistent when the left side dominates. Don't know if it helps that I'm left handed or not (not that my hdcp would indicate that anyways... ).

L: writing, ping pong, bowling.

R: golf, throwing (baseball and football), tennis, basketball, kicking.

B: eating--this is really funny because friends all comment how one day I'm using my steak knife left handed and next day I'm using it right handed.  I don't even notice when I do this.

Originally Posted by clubchamp

I do everything right handed except golf I play left handed I can't say I see a huge advantage. I have read that leading with your more dominant arm helps but I can't really say that's true either.

Interesting.....My dad is the same way.  He does everything right handed except for golf.  We've talked about it, and his reasoning is he was a switch-hitter in baseball as a kid and playing golf lefty felt more comfortable.  He's in his 70's, so he chose to play lefty when lefty clubs were very scarce.

I do everything left handed.....

Funny sidenote:

I remember having a baseball glove for each hand as a child.  I think my parents started out assuming I'd be right handed, but I showed "lefty signals" to they bought me a baseball glove for the other hand too so I could figure it out for myself...LOL  Sure enough....I turned out to be a lefty.

Originally Posted by Tomboys

B: eating--this is really funny because friends all comment how one day I'm using my steak knife left handed and next day I'm using it right handed.  I don't even notice when I do this.

OK....that is interesting!!!   Hahaha

I'm totally a right hander.  I've often felt like it is true what they say about it being an advantage to be front hand dominant in a golf swing.  My right arm wants to be too active in my swing.  I've tried swinging my brother's lefty clubs a few times but I'm too far gone playing righty and even if there's a chance I could end up better lefty in the long run I'd suck for so long after making the switch that I've never really tried it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's an advantage to be left handed in baseball.

You are closer to first base when you bat and pitchers have an advantage when pitching from the set position with a runner on first base.

In golf, there seems to be just as many doglegs to the left as to the right.

There might be an advantage in putting depending on your eye dominance.   You can see the line better without tilting your head.

Originally Posted by Grumpter

Only thing I do lefty is kick. Everything else is righty

That is strange.  It's hard to kick lefty when you are right dominant.

Try crossing your arms and see how hard it is to do it the opposite way. e.g. my right hand is on top.  It really feels awkward to have the left hand on top.

I write with my right hand, but perform most athletic activities left-handed. I learned how to play sports when I was very young by mirroring the actions of whomever was showing me what to do; their right became my left, and I simply stuck with it. Strangely, I do kick with my right foot, and I throw frisbees (and only frisbees) with my right hand.

Note: This thread is 3427 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!