IGNORED

Mizuno fitting, cavity backs and the future

Note: This thread is 4449 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The 59's do look really nice, I was checking them out at GolfSmith yesterday.   The salesman saw me looking at them and mentioned that they are selling them 3 to 1 over any other Mizuno club.  People come in to look at JPX-800 Pro's and MP-53's and walk out with MP-59's.  MBD, keep us posted on how the fitting goes.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Let us know how it goes.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have my fitting booked for 3:30 tomorrow and plan on arriving an hour early to warm up. Unfortunately though over the weekend I managed to aggravate my rotator cuff again (this time carrying several tonnes of hair/makeup/dresses/shoes the wife 'needed' for a=our anniversary trip to Paris). Sunday it started to get better, Monday was better still and today it only hurts when I lift the arm past horizontal forward or to the side.

I've done a few slow 'practice' swings and there's no pain. Full speed swings feel like more or less my normal swing (I know I'm consciously keeping my arms a bit more to my chest a little more than normal to avoid pain but that's something I'm working on doing more anyway so it doesn't worry me) so I'm faced with the decision to go ahead with the fitting tomorrow as planned or postpone it until there's no pain at all.

80/20 for still going tomorrow.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

OK so I'm back from my Mizuno fitting at Mizuno Mecca (Burhill Golf Club, UK) and I'm very glad I went.
I arrived about 30 mins early to warm up and was quite frankly hitting a 50/50 split of great, penetrating and long shots and complete duffs where I'd thin the ball or not close the face enough before impact and slice it. I knew full well when it was going to be a bad shot by the searing pain in my left shoulder which didn't occur at all on the good shots.
Anyway after 30 mins of warming up I headed from the little range to the fitting center and was greeted by Nick who was doing my fitting.
To begin with we talked about my golf and whether there were any Mizuno clubs I had my eye on so I explained that I'd previously hit the MP59's quite well in a bog-standard off-the-rack test at a local range and that I'd tried the MP58's with a Nippon NS Pro 950 shaft and hit those well too.
Then we ran through the DNA fitting software, how it works and the process for using it as a basis for testing combinations of heads and shafts.
Step 1 was punching all my info into the computer.
Step 2 was adding my height and my knuckles to floor measurements to decide on shaft length. I'm Mr Standard. ;)
Step 3 was optimising the shaft. I hit three balls with the DNA club which measures the shaft's bend profile at various points along the length and twice the numbers came up almost exactly the same at 6.6.6.6.
Averaged out (if memory serves) they were head speed 91mph, tempo 5, toe down 6, kick angle 5 and release factor 6. On the resulting shaft flex versus shaft weight graph it put me smack bang in the middle of the "S" flex band and the "medium" column.
As a comparison to several pros:
  • Stacy Lewis - 83-2-4-5-7 - Bottom third of the SR flex - Middle of the "light" column.
  • Luke Donald - 92-4-4-5-5 - Bottom third of the XS flex - First 1/4 of the "medium" column.
  • Me - 91-5-6-5-6 - Half way into the S flex - Half way into the "medium" column.
  • Charles Howell III - 95-8-4-3-4 - WAY up in the X flex - Middle of the "heavy" band.
That graph alone has shown me that I don't need to put as much effort into the swing as I do currently.
Next was a suggestion for different shafts and heads to try out. The number 1 suggestion was a Dynamic Gold S300 (130g) shaft. Second suggestion was a Project X 5.5 (115g) shaft and last suggestion was an FST KBS Tour S (120g). A couple of them I believe also had the option to soft-step them if needed. The suggested heads were MP59 and MP53.
We then went through each of the shafts with the MP59's.
We tried the Project X first which felt ok but somehow "wrong". I couldn't feel the clubhead as well with it and it just felt very dull when making contact with the ball. Pull shot after pull shot all landing approx 5 yards left of the pin but arrow straight.
Next we tried the S300. MUCH better! Shots were long and penetrating when they made good contact.
Felt the clubhead throughout the swing and was happy over the ball for each shot. Started off with pulls again all on the same trajectory so I moved the ball back a little in my stance as I figured I'd over-done my "move the ball forward in your stance" stuff I'm working on and whadya know, straight shot after straight shot on TrackMan.
We decided not to try the KBS as the S300 was so good for my swing.
We decided to then open the shutters and check out real world ball flight into the range (yes I was hitting off a mat but the mat was basically as close to grass as I've ever seen on a mat. It even had 'grain' and could have regular tees pushed into it)
A few more swings and Nick then suggested trying out the MP53 head on the S300 to add a little more forgiveness on my shots when they're not dead on center each time.
Every shot I hit with them over-shot the 150 marker with the MP53. All of them. They were also in a much much tighter dispersion than with the MP59's and were lovely to hit. I was worried that they'd look like shovels at address like my current VMS irons do but they're barely larger than the MP59's. Well impressed!
We then swapped back to the MP59's for a comparison and although I hit a couple of "ok" shots the majority weren't a patch on the MP53's for me.
I think I found my club!
Step 4 was checking the lie angle on the club. Normal procedure here of marking the sole of the club with tape and hitting a lie board for several shots. Although it took me a couple of attempts (I'm more of a picker than digger) when I did contact the lie board the markings were uniformed across the whole length of the sticker. Nice and central.
Step 5 was the grip. We ran through different grip types and how they feel and what they are good for. We checked my grip on the club and came to the conclusion that standard grips are perfect for my hands. I also noticed that the grips are less "tapered" on the Mizzy clubs for some reason but I like that a lot; very nice for gripping down. Really liked the Decade Multicompounds in blue.
Step 6 was creating a set. I already hit a driver, 3w and 3h as my longer clubs so my first iron is my 4i. I'm happy and comfortable with that so we decided to go with my current 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, PW. My current vokeys at 50, 54 and 48 also match very nicely to the MP53 lofts.
Then I noticed the MP R-12 wedges in satin and decided to give them a hit while Nick continued noting things on the computer. I wish I hadn't to be fair and I'd sincerely turn back time and not do it if I had the chance. They are LOVELY! Every shot arrow straight and all 5 balls hit within a 5 yard radius with the 58. They felt less "clacky" than my Vokeys (technical term! lol) - I NEED these wedges. NEED!
Step 7 was simply going over the fitting and making sure I'm happy with all the selected info and the final profile for the system to be used by whatever dealer I decide to buy the clubs from.
Nick did say he was emailing over my TrackMan stats for the day but I have yet to recieve the email.
I then decided to have a quick check on my wood flexes and it seems that they too are softer than I require based on the testing I did of a JPX 800 with a Graffaloy Pro Launch Red which felt much much less whippy than my normal Exsar DS5: LT Regular. Need to do some testing during the daytime as light was too faded to get a good idea on the shaft change needed.
So now what, you may be asking?
Well judging by the list of stuff I own and don't use any more in front of me ready for eBay I'll be placing an order soon! First priority is irons, next priority is Wedges and then if cash allows I'll investigate re-shafting my woods and hybrid.
Very expensive this "free" fitting.........
I'll also stick up my TrackMan stats if/when they arrive.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Great to hear, thanks for the posting this!

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Nice one. Its a great system. I did not have time for the fitting process when I got my irons. I wanted new irons, and I wanted them now. I did get a choice of flexes though with the Dynalite XP and I had the lies bent when I got home. I did a DNA after about 6 months and the suggestions were close to what I had, but they were just missing something. The fitting suggested either the R300 or S300 at the top, but after a tried the KBS R (3rd choice) with another club maker, the decision was easy. I pulled those shafts and installed the KBS. Im considering hard stepping them in my next set as I am into the stiff range, which come the middle of the year, could be some MP59's, but that remains to be seen. The 53 is an awesome iron. I did go back and try them with the KBS, and they were just super. Nice at address and super soft feel.

If you're fitted correctly for irons, it's actually a bargain to pay full price (because you won't continue to buy new clubs). I've found irons, hybrids, and fairways - once you get ones you like, they tend not to change.

Now drivers and wedges? They change.

After you take care of this, start saving for an Edel fitting and you'll never want another putter.

Interesting on the grips since you seemed happy with two wraps in your previous posts.

Good luck!

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I agree completely regarding fitting and perfect irons. Once you have the perfect set of irons (and providing there's room for you to improve with them) it's an excellent investment. With the MP53's I can see myself getting down to mid-single digits and still being happy with them and being able to work them as needed.

Driver, 3W and 3H are all currently regular shafted so I may have to book another fitting for woods only at some point but for a good while I think irons and wedges are my main focus. I can deal with "not perfect" tee shots but iron shots I need to be good far moreso.

I'd give an arm and a leg for an Edel fitting which is good as it'll cost me that much when the time comes. In the UK (unless it's changed) the nearest fitter is in Scotland. Travel + Fitting + Putter = Arm + leg. lol

It's either that or I make sure I have the cash for my next business trip to Philly and find a fitter near there. That's a way off though.

Yeah the wraps situation is a weird one. I've always felt my Yonex grips were too thin, especially toward the shaft end of the grip and when choking down on the club. The two-wrap Lamkin grip on the trial club I've been testing felt much better for me but it's hard to know for sure whether it felt better because of the grip itself, the number of wraps or the fact that shaft was firmer and thus felt more solid.

The only thing I can say for sure is that during my fitting it was a single wrap NDMC grips and they felt good as standard. Getting them double-wrapped could change the feel of them and then end up with me having to get them re-gripped anyway? My glove size is small or medium cadet normally but I must have long-ish fingers for my hand size. Single wrap on my Yonex versus double wrap on the test club:

SingleWrap.JPG MultiWrap.JPG

SWING DNA

Finger size does make a difference. I am a medium large glove and take two wraps on a Lamkin 3GEN.

Your fingers look more comfortable on the right picture. If your grip fitting with Mizuno worked, and the fingers didn't cram into the hand - you know what fits.

I had a fitting in October by a club maker for the entire bag, except for putter, so I know about the $$$ and making them count...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

This morning I heard back from Mizuno regarding all my stats for the fitting so I figured I'd share.

My 'average' DNA figures were:

Club Head Speed: 84mph
Tempo: 6
Toe Down: 4
Kick Angle: 6
Release Factor: 5

I know for a fact that my second and third swings were 85mph and 6 6 6 6 so the three swings must have been:

Swing #1 - Speed [81] Tempo [6] Toe Down [1] Kick Angle [6] Release [4]

Swing #2 - Speed [85] Tempo [6] Toe Down [6] Kick Angle [6] Release [6]

Swing #3 - Speed [85] Tempo [6] Toe Down [6] Kick Angle [6] Release [6]

The TrackMan stats confuse me but I've attached what was sent.

The dispersion also confuses me as there's only one marker for the MP53's.

The only other point of note is that mid-way through testing I realised my ball position was a smidge too far forward so I corrected it to hit the ball straighter.

Any thoughts TrackMan guru's?

Oh and I have no idea who Mrs Hunt is.

SWING DNA

• 2 weeks later...

Dude you really need to get some more spin on your ball.  Thats six iron data right?   With spin maxing out at 4k you ball is not getting enough carry and is costing you distance.  You only get between 20-24 yards of height on the ball when it should be around 30.   Your launch angle is fine but get 5-6k of back spin and youll see your distance improve alot

Originally Posted by Rip24

Dude you really need to get some more spin on your ball.  Thats six iron data right?   With spin maxing out at 4k you ball is not getting enough carry and is costing you distance.  You only get between 20-24 yards of height on the ball when it should be around 30.   Your launch angle is fine but get 5-6k of back spin and youll see your distance improve alot

Yeah 6i data. Any thoughts on possible causes for the lack of spin? I knew it was lower than norm but I figured it was simply a case of not being used to the 'S' flex as I've been playing 'R' for the last two to three years.

Pulled the trigger today. :)

photo (1).JPG

SWING DNA

Thanks for the info guys!

I got around to hitting the Mizuno JPX-800's last night at Golfsmith on their new launch monitor...I also hit the Cally Razr X, Rocketballz, RocketBallz Max and my own Powerbilt AFO N7....all 6 irons.  what I learned is the JPX-800 is really sweet with the Project X 4.5 & 5.0 shafts for my regular swing and it out performed the others.......except my own PowerBilt AFO!

I find it amazing that my own irons perform as well as the newest models.........maybe it's all in the swing?

Originally Posted by Fozcycle

Thanks for the info guys!

I got around to hitting the Mizuno JPX-800's last night at Golfsmith on their new launch monitor...I also hit the Cally Razr X, Rocketballz, RocketBallz Max and my own Powerbilt AFO N7....all 6 irons.  what I learned is the JPX-800 is really sweet with the Project X 4.5 & 5.0 shafts for my regular swing and it out performed the others.......except my own PowerBilt AFO!

I find it amazing that my own irons perform as well as the newest models.........maybe it's all in the swing?

Nah it's what suits your swing rather than being "in the swing"; That's why a fitting is the way to go. Based on your Golfsmith experience, with your swing the Powerbilt shaft was best suited to your swing and I'd presume the clubhead was good for your striking so you hit it better than the others.

My old (wooo old clubs now!) VMS irons had a regular flex shaft which was too soft for the swing and the GI heads meant my distance dispersion varied by up to 30 yards at times. Trying the PX5.5 at my fitting I found the shaft to be a bit too light and it felt unbalanced to me. The S300 was great from the start and allowed me to instantly feel where the clubhead was.

Once we sorted out the shaft it was a matter of trying club heads to see which one I hit best - The MP53 and the MP59 were much of a muchness with a little more forgiveness in the MP53 on 'bad' strikes. I decided though that as I'm going to be continually working on my swing I'd be happy to take the occasional punishing shot.

If you read Tom Wishon's book he states that technology really hasn't progressed in the way the big brand manufacturers say it has, especially in irons which are ultimately a lump of metal on a stick. I believe that to a certain extent (tech isn't as advanced as the big brands say) but likewise I think he has his own wares to peddle so tech will be dulled down by him too.

If your clubs work, stick with them! The sole reason I looked into new ones is that my swing has progressed so far so quickly that my Yonex's felt completely alien to me and I knew I needed to find out why.

Cheers NTG

SWING DNA

MBD, New 59's look great. Nothing like new irons... I'll bet you'll hate getting dirt on them when you first visit the range.

Time to update your signature.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Ah yes my sig, good catch RRC!

I might play a few rounds with the bubble wrap on them to keep them safe. *chuckle*

SWING DNA

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

Yeah 6i data. Any thoughts on possible causes for the lack of spin? I knew it was lower than norm but I figured it was simply a case of not being used to the 'S' flex as I've been playing 'R' for the last two to three years.

Pulled the trigger today. :)

this bag makes me horny

"It's better to burn out than to fade away." -Kurt Cobain

Note: This thread is 4449 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!