Sign in to follow this  
MiniBlueDragon

Mizuno fitting, cavity backs and the future

Note: This thread is 3099 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

38 posts / 6235 viewsLast Reply

Mizuno Fitting

A little while ago I made a thread about the comparison between large manufacturer 'fitting' systems and local clubmaker 'fitting' as there seemed to be a fair amount of reasons to opt for a clubmaker set of clubs over the big brands. Since then however I've been doing research, trying various clubs and am now wavering on that thought so I figured a good old discussion is in order.

I really like the look of the Mizuno DNA fitting system. It seems to be similar to the type of fitting a local clubmaker would go through except without 'spining' the shaft which Mizuno say makes little difference in better shafts anyway as there's less 'spine' on the shaft.

Has anyone here been through the DNA fitting and how was it?

Cavity Backed Irons and The Future

- I currently game a set of Yonex VMS irons with Regular Yonex shafts (which I believe are simply a re-branded Dynamic Gold shaft).

I stupidly bought them after they were recommended to me and only tried for a bucket of balls at the range. Duh!

- I have a local clubmaker built Orka RS5 forged cavity backed 6i with Regular Nippon NS Pro 950 GH shaft which I've been testing for a couple of months.

The feeling off the face is lovely and the shots are long and crisp. The grip has two extra wraps and feels much much better.

- I've tried out a Mizuno MP-59 6i with Regular Dynamic Gold shaft at the range.

Every shot was lovely, I could shape the ball as needed (which I'd never been able to do before then!) and the feeling off the face was amazing. Loved them! Apparently for "Low" handicap players.

- Today I tried out a Mizuno MP-58 6i with Regular Nippon NS Pro 950 GH shaft.

Despite being billed as a "Very Low to Low" handicap club they were pretty similar to the MP-59's I tried. Lovely crisp contact, long and straight. Also had two extra wraps on the grip which feels so much better.

I also hit all of the clubs above within more or less the same dispersion area with a little extra distance on the Orka and Mizzies. Could be a forged thing as all but the Yonex are forged (the Orka is a cavity back too so if it was a cavity thing I'd assume the Orka would be short too).

There's no question that I feel like my swing is more fluid with the Nippon shaft. I can feel the lag in the club head much more clearly than with the Dynamic Gold shafts and as a result I think my swing is less 'forced' than with the DG shafted clubs; I don't feel like I have to put effort into the downswing. I'll obviously get this checked when being fit anyway.

Either way my Yonex now look like shovels at address, sound crap at impact and also prevent me from doing any type of shot shaping which would be nice to have as an option at some point so I don't think I'll be keeping them for too long.

If I decide to get a new set of clubs I need to figure out a few things:

1. Will they last me a long time?

2. Will they play similar on course to testing at the range?

3. Will I be better off going for "low handicap" clubs based on the fact that I seem to be able to hit them as well as or even better than my current cavity backs?

4. Is it worth going to the full extreme and trying MP-69's?

5. Am I aiming too high or will using more advanced clubs end up improving my golf long-term anyway?

Any thoughts?

Keep in mind these are my answers in response to your questions, that you are indeed a 14 handicap:
1. Any club can last you a long time as long as you take care of it
2. I've always found that 'testing' on a range with artificial turf or even grass can be different than taking it to a course, considering at the range your pounding the same club over and over, not using the long irons, wedges, etc in the set.
3. if you're looking to get better, get clubs that are a little less forgiving than what you have now, and work towards your ballstriking to get better...if you're a 14 handi i'd suggest NOT getting the clubs that are for the low to ultra low handicapped players. it's just too much for you to take right now IMO. if you like the feel of a blade, there are plenty of clubs out there that a player in the single digits but not a low handicapper can use, ie a cavity back forged iron, or something that's blended in the set, catch my drift?

4. answered in number 3.

5. clubs, albeit can HELP you get lower...there are other aspects of your game that will help you get lower, faster. get some lessons first, or if you really want new clubs, get some new ones, but not those destined for the tour.

Hope this helps and good luck, a lower handicap awaits!

Thanks Gioguy.

By "last a long time" I meant before I'd look at getting better clubs rather than falling apart. hehe

Looking at better clubs isn't so much a "they will help me" it's more of a "if I don't have a decent golf swing I'll be punished, therefore I need to work on my game"

Agree completely regarding the difference between a range and a course. I think the difficulty is figuring out what level of club would force me to continue improving and also last a long while before I feel I want to change it but at the same time not be ridiculously difficult for me to play. An example would be I think it's likely that playing pure blades would be a silly move as I'd be punished for even slightly bad shots too much to enable me to improve. Likewise I think having cavity backed clubs with multiple "this will fix your bad swing" technologies will be a bad choice as I'll never know where I'm going wrong with my swing if my ball flights are all "ok"

Lessons I do regularly at the moment and they've helped a lot and I'll continue with them for sure.

The main area I think I'm losing shots is my short game and my distance estimation; I tend to look at my target (and any fairway markers or yardage book if there are any) but it's all estimation which ends up in swings that are too long or too short a lot of the time. I've lost count the number of times I look at a marker, pace up to my ball and think, "OK 170 to the green, let's go with a 6i" and then have ended up over-shooting the green to then have to chip from the rough back onto the green. Or I'll blade a ball from one side of the green to the other.

Definitely appreciate the info, thanks.

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

Thanks Gioguy.

By "last a long time" I meant before I'd look at getting better clubs rather than falling apart. hehe

Looking at better clubs isn't so much a "they will help me" it's more of a "if I don't have a decent golf swing I'll be punished, therefore I need to work on my game"

Agree completely regarding the difference between a range and a course. I think the difficulty is figuring out what level of club would force me to continue improving and also last a long while before I feel I want to change it but at the same time not be ridiculously difficult for me to play. An example would be I think it's likely that playing pure blades would be a silly move as I'd be punished for even slightly bad shots too much to enable me to improve. Likewise I think having cavity backed clubs with multiple "this will fix your bad swing" technologies will be a bad choice as I'll never know where I'm going wrong with my swing if my ball flights are all "ok"

Lessons I do regularly at the moment and they've helped a lot and I'll continue with them for sure.

The main area I think I'm losing shots is my short game and my distance estimation; I tend to look at my target (and any fairway markers or yardage book if there are any) but it's all estimation which ends up in swings that are too long or too short a lot of the time. I've lost count the number of times I look at a marker, pace up to my ball and think, "OK 170 to the green, let's go with a 6i" and then have ended up over-shooting the green to then have to chip from the rough back onto the green. Or I'll blade a ball from one side of the green to the other.

Definitely appreciate the info, thanks.

Are you saying you never actually pulled the trigger on the irons in your avatar? What exactly are you waiting for? Worried about buyer's remorse since getting fitted to an essentially off brand set of irons could be a waste of money? If they truly fit your GAME then don't worry about it. They only have to work for you.

I emphasized the word GAME since there's a lot more to a set of irons than how "smooth" your swing feels at the driving range.  Do they fit your playing style and typical courses. Look at the grinds, the head size, the way they look in a bag as a set - everything. When you have a set of irons you can trust - a set worth the time spent getting comfortable with each club - you'll hang onto them for dear life. I can't say those Yonexes are worth hanging onto or not, but I suspect those clubfitter irons aren't those irons or they'd already be in the bag.

If you're sweet on Mizunos, why not just check out ebay for an older set of MPs (like the 30s or 60s - whatever) with an appropriate shaft. You really can't go wrong with used forged irons in decent shape. Lofts & Lies and a set of grips and you're off to the races!!

PS. those Yonex branded shafts might be made by True Temper (they'l likely have TT somewhere if they are), but I doubt they're rebranded Dynamic Golds . Why would Yonex cover up the DG logo since those are actually a preferred shaft for many old school players?!?

Nah the iron in my avatar is the club fitter one I'm trialling at the moment in a 6i from a local club maker; it's a world apart from my Yonex's in terms of being suitable for my personal specs, swing etc and I'd also have the option of mix and matching the Orka RS heads through the set for playability if I really wanted to start messing around with them, e.g. RS5's for 4i/5i/6i, RS3's for 7i/8i and RS1's for 9i/PW.

I guess just don't want to pull the trigger on a fully custom set of clubs which will cost exactly the same amount (or up to 25% more if we're talking about new MP-58's) as a new set of MP-59's and then find out in a year that it was a bad choice as I'd have gotten the same type of fitting and bought clubs that will last into a much lower handicap and that would force me to become a better golfer.

Likewise I'd hate to buy a set of Mizuno's to find out that I can't hit them when playing on course at all (I'm happy to be punished for really bad strikes).

Anyone got a coin I can toss to decide?

Also just checked the Yonex shafts and right down the bottom in little black writing it says they're True Temper as you guessed but no specific mention of what TT version they are.

This post is not meant to be used as evidence in a court of law in which a divorce case, domestic violence or any such trial in which the defendent purchased clubs without approval or confirmation/concurrence from their spouse whether formal or implied

pulling the trigger on a set of fitted clubs is never a bad decision.

I went through the Mizzy DNA fitting process before I purchased the MP-59's about a month ago.  And I absolutely love them.  They are great sticks and have the C-taper KBS stiff shafts in them.  I chuckled when I read your comment about getting the MP-69's (blade).  I actually hit them too - and they felt amazing.  But I had fear that if I bought the blades, I would have buyers remorse if I started having a bad round(s).

So far - after a month and nearly a dozen rounds... I don't regret buying the MP-59's one bit.  They are lovely sticks and I expect to have them in my bag for years to come.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The MP-59's have gotten many good reviews. I've hit them and they feel great and are beautiful. The only downside is that they are a bit pricy and they are popular so deals are rare -- expect to pay full price. They had yet to be released when I bought new irons last season.

I play JPX-800 Pro's and they were the best things I ever hit. My ball striking did improve in just a few months and I now have been toying with some MP-53's that I picked up used on eBay for a fair and good price -- after my season was over. I expect the MP-53's to launch a little lower which will help when I'm in mid-season form. I'm also messing with shafts to bring the ball down a bit on my JPX Pros. BTW, when I tried the MP-53's before buying my JPX Pros, I was not consistent enough to play them. After 1/2 season with the Mizunos, I think I am "player" enough.

I think you'll find that Mizunos play well on the course. What they do for the sole grind makes playing off odd lies and out of the rough much better than the big old Fusions I used to play. After 20 years as a Callaway man, I'm on the Mizuno bandwagon and enjoying the ride.

Good luck.

My guess is that if you are properly fit into either the 58s or 59s or Orkas, you will play about the same with any of them. So my determinants would be 1) quality of fitting process and 2) which set makes you horny, baby!

Yeah I hit the MP-53's too.  They were very solid.  The only reason I went with the 59's is that they had the new titanium insert and a slightly larger sweet spot (I believe 5% increase off the top of my head??).  Plus I wanted to show off with my buddies and rub in the fact that I was rocking the new Mizzy's. :D

Originally Posted by rustyredcab

The MP-59's have gotten many good reviews. I've hit them and they feel great and are beautiful. The only downside is that they are a bit pricy and they are popular so deals are rare -- expect to pay full price. They had yet to be released when I bought new irons last season.

I play JPX-800 Pro's and they were the best things I ever hit. My ball striking did improve in just a few months and I now have been toying with some MP-53's that I picked up used on eBay for a fair and good price -- after my season was over. I expect the MP-53's to launch a little lower which will help when I'm in mid-season form. I'm also messing with shafts to bring the ball down a bit on my JPX Pros. BTW, when I tried the MP-53's before buying my JPX Pros, I was not consistent enough to play them. After 1/2 season with the Mizunos, I think I am "player" enough.

I think you'll find that Mizunos play well on the course. What they do for the sole grind makes playing off odd lies and out of the rough much better than the big old Fusions I used to play. After 20 years as a Callaway man, I'm on the Mizuno bandwagon and enjoying the ride.

Good luck.

I went through the process as well. I was about to get the 59s but opted for the 53s just for the little extra forgiveness on my off days. I am more of a short game player so figured the extra forgiveness would help got the dynamic black gold shaft in them. I can say i dont think I will ever not play mizzys. The fitting process was nice and easy and the feel of the clubs are fantastic. The guy wanted me to get the 59s but I was a little afraid of some of the reviews on how it was more of a players club, but either way I dont think you can go wrong with any mizunos esp after a fitting, it helps so much

I almost bought the 59 s too but went with the 53 s for the same reason. Awesome clubs. I really like how consistent the yardages are compared to GI clubs. Also got fitted for my wedges this time around... Can't believe what a difference it's made. Also, I find the look and feel of mizunos r-12 wedge amazing.

My thoughts?

Make sure you get a shaft you like ... and you seemed to like the Nippon. The right shaft in the right weight and flex will make those heads better.

Have you tried the MP-53s? They'd seem to fit if your game is great, and on days when the swing is not so sweet... But the 59's - they look great, too.

good luck.

Bought my mp63's 4 months ago.  Did the swing DNA and fitting first 3 shafts popped up were DG's,RIFLE,KBS.  Heres my "opinion"; I hit the jpx800pro,53s,59s,63,69s.  No matter what shaft I tried in the 800's the club went 7-11 yards further than any of the other ones.  Bad part was there was alot of 5-7yard differences in a ball hit the same way, same part of the face, same shot. They were workable to an extent but seemed impossible to keep the ball low.  The 59's and 69's felt almost the exact same, but you could hit them on the toe and surpisingly went very well for a blade. One of the more forgiving blades I have ever hit.  Now to the 53 and 63 the one noticeable difference for me was I could work the ball much better with the 63, both clubs felt great.  I feel like over 2 days going through shaft after shaft, club after club, i could not be any happier with the choice I made.  MP63's with KBS TOUR X shafts.  Obviously the shaft will be an absolute different feel for everyone but if you are considering buying some new mizunos start with trying the 53 and 63. If you have never hit KBS please try it....amazing.  Hope this helps someone.

1. I'm sure either club if cared for will last long enough for you to find a new club that catches your eye.
  2. No, some clubs dig more than others.  Before you make the investment at least try them on grass.  If you take divots you'll want to see how each club handles in the rough and fairway.
  3. You're in testing mode now so there's now reason to exclude clubs that you might be interested in.  I started with Callaway Big Bertha X-12's and got used to the rather small club head and reduced offset.  When I went shopping for clubs at the beginning of last year I let the salesmen talk me into Diablo Edges even though I hated the offset and thickness of the club head.  He convinced me that the forgiveness of the SGI was better suited for my poor swing at the time and I foolishly listened.  I played them for the first half of last season and had no confidence with them.  I picked up a cheap set of Hogan Apex Edge Pro's off eBay at the urging of my instructor to practice with and they were much more appealing to my eye and my handicap started to drop.
  4. You should try the 69's but keep in mind that your scores may get worse before they get better.
  5. For me the Hogans improved my game even though they were probably too advanced for me at the time.  I have found that mentally looking at the Hogans made me more comfortable, improved my aim and added to my swing confidence.  I have the Diablo Edges sitting in the garage and picked up a set of Callaway 2009 X-Forged at the end of the season that I use on the course and use the Hogans to practice with at the range.

In terms of risk you're better off getting the Mizuno's if all other things are the same because they will have much better resale value than the custom clubs.   Your custom clubs might be great clubs but the Mizuno name will get more of your investment back if you decide to switch again.

Just get the 59's and be done with it.  I got the 59's with the KBS tour stiff flex 2 degrees up .75" long and 4 wraps under the GP multi compounds.  By far the best iron I've ever touched.  You can work the ball both ways easily.  The face feel is just beautiful.  THey look great.  Really forgiving.  Stop messing around and pull the trigger.

Also not sure how people are getting them with c-tapers since Mizuno doesn't offer that shaft.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I have a fitting booked with the Mizuno National Fitting Center for 18th Jan so will find out then what the most suitable combination will be for me. From that I can pull the trigger as soon as cash allows.

Note: This thread is 3099 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!