IGNORED

Rory Mcilroy: More Talent than Tiger?

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4511 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by turtleback

The lengths people will go to in order to minimize Tiger's accomplishments.  So when Jack played he had more great players he had to beat, and then Tiger only had a few great players who could challenge him and now that Tiger has been down for a couple of years there are more great players.  So before and after Tiger's dominance there were more great players but during Tiger's dominance there was magically a dearth of great players to compete with him..  Uh huh.

Sheesh!!  Doesn't it ever occur to you that it was precisely Tiger's UNPRECEDENTED dominance that accounts for this?

I am a Tiger fan. Massive Tiger fan. I wrote something after that but it sounded crap so I deleted it. Anyway, Tiger played perhaps the greatest that anyone has ever played the game in that period(other than maybe driving accuracy). To be honest I think Rory's swing is way too timing dependent. He hits a lot of bad drives and misses left more often than right. I think Tiger is more talented than Rory, but my point was that I believe the field strength today is stronger than it was 10-15 years ago. There were undoubtedly some of the best players back in 2000 playing, but I think now the ability of the average tour player is much stronger than 15 years ago, and even in Jack's era(only a handful of guys really were a match back then). Therefore my point is, It will be harder for Rory to get 14 majors simply because more guys are challenging for majors than yesteryear.

Originally Posted by The_Pharaoh

Took a piss  Just let us know when you want to start learning Cockney rhyming slang! ;-)

So you can be a 'piss taker', 'taking the piss' or 'took the piss' :-)

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Originally Posted by michaeljames92

I am a Tiger fan. Massive Tiger fan. I wrote something after that but it sounded crap so I deleted it. Anyway, Tiger played perhaps the greatest that anyone has ever played the game in that period(other than maybe driving accuracy). To be honest I think Rory's swing is way too timing dependent. He hits a lot of bad drives and misses left more often than right. I think Tiger is more talented than Rory, but my point was that I believe the field strength today is stronger than it was 10-15 years ago. There were undoubtedly some of the best players back in 2000 playing, but I think now the ability of the average tour player is much stronger than 15 years ago, and even in Jack's era(only a handful of guys really were a match back then). Therefore my point is, It will be harder for Rory to get 14 majors simply because more guys are challenging for majors than yesteryear.

I would love to see Tiger from 2000 playing in today's fields.

I still think he would obliterate them.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Originally Posted by Kieran123

For sure. Luke, Rory and Co. are great players, but cannot be compared to Tiger in 2000. No golfer dead or alive can imho.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Took a piss  Just let us know when you want to start learning Cockney rhyming slang! ;-)

Crikey! I am so daft when it comes to this stuff. Perhaps I should gen up a little bit.

Originally Posted by shades9323

Crikey! I am so daft when it comes to this stuff. Perhaps I should gen up a little bit.

By jingoes, ya better rattle ya dags and get on it and you'll be good as gold....home n hosed. Right now your two sammies short of a picnic

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

By jingoes, ya better rattle ya dags and get on it and you'll be good as gold....home n hosed. Right now your two sammies short of a picnic

I think your extracting the urine now!

Well Bob's your uncle! I am booking a flight across the pond for some full immersion training!

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaeljames92

He very well might, including a hobbled 2011 Tiger of course.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by VOX

I think you will find that 85 is higher than 81

I think you'll find Tiger never shot 85 in a major championship.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Originally Posted by VOX

1995 US Open at Shinnicock 74-85 WD

He WD on the 5th hole of the second round. You got the 74 correct.

• Upvote 1

There wasn't a "dearth of great players to compete with him", he was simply miles better than the great players ranked 2-15. They were still great, but compared to Tiger's awesomeness they looked average. In my opinion, Jack was better than the other great players of his era but the difference was not as big as that of Tiger from his rivals.

Yes.  That was exactly the point I was making.  Those who try to elevate Jack vis a vis Tiger on the basis that Jack had tougher competition are delusional.  And Jack himself pretty much implied that in his 1996 autobiography that I have quoted from elsewhere.

I will also add that in all but maybe 2 years (1998 and 2004) in the 1997 through 2008 period Tiger was clearly the best player in the game.  There are not that many individual years during Jack's prime when he was clearly the best player.  He was always in the top 2 or 3, but not clearly #1.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I won't be surprised if that is exactly what we see in 2012.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In golf talent is always defined as having a pretty swing that goes for miles. For some reason being able to sink 10 foot putts 20% more often than the average PGA pro doesn't count as being talented. But driving 10% farther does. The first will win you more tournaments though.

Originally Posted by boogielicious

The only reason people use "talent" in a comparison is to provoke discussion or cause controversy.  No one ever defines what "Talent" means.  They just state, "so and so is more talented".  We here is every year in every sport.  The Dallas Cowboys have the most talent in the NFL.  Man U is the most talented Football team in Europe.  The Miami Heat with LeBron is the most talented team in the NBA.

What is the measurement?  It is never objectively defined.  We're all just supposed to know what "talent" is.

For golf, is it swing speed, accuracy, putting, short game stats, long game stats, etc.?  It's not defined by the person making the comparison, so it provokes discussion and controversy.

Rory is an excellent golfer at a young age and has won a bunch so far.  Tiger is older, was an excellent golfer at a young age, won a lot and is still winning.

In Massachusetts speak, "they are both Wicked Talented!!"

Anyone who can't see that Rory McIlroy is the most "naturally gifted" player in the last decade is not looking hard enough.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Note: This thread is 4511 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!