IGNORED

Does President Obama play too much Golf?

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4179 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As for what Obama's done, besides golf, try this:

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/magazine/march_april_2012/features/the_incomplete_greatness_of_ba035754.php

and

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/magazine/march_april_2012/features/obamas_top_50_accomplishments035755.php?page=1

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am no Obama fan by any stretch, but I do not begrudge the man his golf.      If anybody needs a round now and then to clear the mind, the president does ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

How are people gonna blame unemployment on any president. I've been a victim of the economy more then I'd like and NO president was either responsible or responsive. U all are lemmings to campaign rhetoric and mud slinging bs to a religion u call politics. Democrats and Republicans, Christians and Muslims, same bs.

Originally Posted by inthehole

I am no Obama fan by any stretch, but I do not begrudge the man his golf.      If anybody needs a round now and then to clear the mind, the president does ...

That's what vacation is for.

Originally Posted by dave67az

I'm trying my best to get you to clearly say what kinds of recreation you think are okay for a President, and what kinds are out of line.

As near as I can tell, it's the time (5-6 hours) that you don't like.

So how much time is a President allowed to spend on recreational activity per week?

I do NOT believe that there are people in this country who do not have 10-12 hours a month to "spare" on recreation/fitness.  I heard all the excuses when I was a medical provider in the military for why Airmen didn't stay in shape.  Even when I was in Iraq, we had time set aside for Morale/Welfare/Recreation activities (and I'm pretty darn sure we worked harder over there and more hours per week than 99% of anyone in the States).

From what I'm hearing, you don't think a President should be allowed 10-12 hours a month of recreation.  Does this include television?  Spending time with his family?

Since you are so enamored by my opinion, read my previous post in this thread where I state a number of recreational activities he can try that takes 1-2 hours instead of 5-6.  Yes, people need breaks.  Some people take power naps, some people take a smoke break.  Some go for a swim or a jog.  Some practice putting.  Or go bowling.  Some watch TV.

I'm sure the president's 10-12 hours of golf per month are on top of all his other breaks.

He's a grown man and there is no firm amount of time set aside for recreational activities per week.  He has to make his own decisions.  Once you become POTUS, you DEDICATE your life for 4 years.  DEDICATE.  DEDICATE.  DEDICATE.

The time that is set aside for Morale/Welfare/Recreation is called vacation.  He can play golf during vacation.

So you would be happier if Obama during his 100 or so rounds of golf, did no work and just took the day off. Ok. So he would have something like 200 days of "Vacation" to Bush's 1000 (granted over 8 years but you can do the math).   Spending 6 hours in 1 chunk is no different than doing 6 1 hour chunks. It is still 6 hours. If you like playing golf great. If you would rather do p90x, go for it.

Criticizing presidential recreation activities has been going on forever. It is an easy way to get cheap points but not many people would want their life judged by the same standards. Yes it looks bad when you say bush took almost 3 years off out of 8. The reality is that he was meeting with staff and the like on pretty much everyone of those vacation days. The difference is where the work took place not the amount of work being done.

Originally Posted by reflection

Since you are so enamored by my opinion, read my previous post in this thread where I state a number of recreational activities he can try that takes 1-2 hours instead of 5-6.  Yes, people need breaks.  Some people take power naps, some people take a smoke break.  Some go for a swim or a jog.  Some practice putting.  Or go bowling.  Some watch TV.

I'm sure the president's 10-12 hours of golf per month are on top of all his other breaks.

He's a grown man and there is no firm amount of time set aside for recreational activities per week.  He has to make his own decisions.  Once you become POTUS, you DEDICATE your life for 4 years.  DEDICATE.  DEDICATE.  DEDICATE.

The time that is set aside for Morale/Welfare/Recreation is called vacation.  He can play golf during vacation.

That's what vacation is for.

so you say - as long as he doesn't overdue it, I have no problem with any president, not just this one, playing a round of golf as his schedule permits - NOT just on vacation

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Originally Posted by GJBenn85

I'm not opposed to Romney and do not love Obama, but it is ridiculous he is using the number of HOLES played to sway the average idiot voter.  Do the math...it is less than 30 ROUNDS per year which is far from being absurd.

It may not be absurd, but it's a lot more than the typical golfer plays who has to work full time and take care of his family.  It's about twice as much as I ever had time for until I retired, and I consider myself an avid golfer.  An argument could be made that Obama's (or any president's) first duty is to the country, not to his golf swing.  I don't begrudge anyone the opportunity for a bit of down time, but to spend 50% more time on the golf course than the average golfing citizen does nothing for his image.

How's that for skating around the obvious political aspects of the question?

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

There's an assumption that playing golf and doing your job are mutually exclusive, they aren't.  I own a business and use golf to meet with / thank customers, build strategic relationships with partners and team build with my employees.  The golf course is a great place for these sorts of business activities.

There is a fair amount of "work" that can get done on a golf course and the 19th hole.  I am sure some of the Presidents rounds are for recreation only, but some might be with diplomats, campaign supporters, and cabinet staff where the formal surroundings of a conference room aren't required.

Originally Posted by Fourputt

It may not be absurd, but it's a lot more than the typical golfer plays who has to work full time and take care of his family.  It's about twice as much as I ever had time for until I retired, and I consider myself an avid golfer.  An argument could be made that Obama's (or any president's) first duty is to the country, not to his golf swing.  I don't begrudge anyone the opportunity for a bit of down time, but to spend 50% more time on the golf course than the average golfing citizen does nothing for his image.

Joe Paradiso

I don't know. My dad and his golf buddies played 30 times a year and they were all working guys playing the local muni. The would have played more if the golf season wasn't 6 months most years.

It doesn't matter how much Obama plays. If he played a round a month he would still be getting criticized. The republicans have a goal of framing him as an out of touch elitest. Golf is an easy way to get that message across. He can either do what Bush jr did and drop the sport for image reasons or he can keep on doing what he likes.  Bush Sr's power boat racing and Bush jr's endless vacations served the same purpose in the past.  Maybe all presidents should be like Bill Clinton and get their "relaxing"  done in the oval office?

Originally Posted by newtogolf

There's an assumption that playing golf and doing your job are mutually exclusive, they aren't.  I own a business and use golf to meet with / thank customers, build strategic relationships with partners and team build with my employees.  The golf course is a great place for these sorts of business activities.

There is a fair amount of "work" that can get done on a golf course and the 19th hole.  I am sure some of the Presidents rounds are for recreation only, but some might be with diplomats, campaign supporters, and cabinet staff where the formal surroundings of a conference room aren't required.

100% agree that the golf course is a great venue for some business related activities.

Originally Posted by x129

I don't know. My dad and his golf buddies played 30 times a year and they were all working guys playing the local muni. The would have played more if the golf season wasn't 6 months most years.

It doesn't matter how much Obama plays. If he played a round a month he would still be getting criticized. The republicans have a goal of framing him as an out of touch elitest. Golf is an easy way to get that message across. He can either do what Bush jr did and drop the sport for image reasons or he can keep on doing what he likes.  Bush Sr's power boat racing and Bush jr's endless vacations served the same purpose in the past.  Maybe all presidents should be like Bill Clinton and get their "relaxing"  done in the oval office?

Clinton is my hero! LOL

I would vote for him over Obama any day.

I don't know about this. Before my son was born and things like day care ate up the budget, I played pretty much every Saturday from May to October. Probably 20-25 rounds/year and if I lived in a warm weather climate it would be close to 40 rounds. And for a truly avid golfer, that's less than average. Given that the POTUS works way more than an 8 hour day and is on call 24/7, the opportunity to play 30 times/year is something I do not begrudge.

I've played about 40 rounds since March and that doesn't count my combined scores when I get 9 holes in after work during the week. Which is somewhere north of 25.

Just because YOU can't make the time to play or have a supportive wife who encourages you to play doesn't mean everyone else can't.

If you don't like Obama's politics that's fine. You should still be able to see through this ridiculous "attack" by Romney.

HiBore XLS 9.5* Driver

AMP 15* SF 3 Wood

R11 3 and 4 hybrid

AP1 712 5-GW

52* Gap Wedge

SV 56* Wedge

SV 60* Wedge

35" Melbourne Putter

Hex Black Tour

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

There are statistics and damn lies, and sometimes they are the same.

You use stats to mislead.

Well done.

Try putting things in context next time.

As a golfer, how about using the same honesty one uses on the course?

We should all talk less politics and play more golf. We're all better off for it.

Are you implying those numbers are false?   They came directly from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.  I didn't make them up.  Nor did I rely on campaign rhetoric to arrive at them.   I did the research and found the numbers, straight from the governmental agency responsible for reporting them.   They are not just stats, they are facts.

But I agree with your last statement...............

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Originally Posted by teamroper60

Are you implying those numbers are false?   They came directly from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.  I didn't make them up.  Nor did I rely on campaign rhetoric to arrive at them.   I did the research and found the numbers, straight from the governmental agency responsible for reporting them.   They are not just stats, they are facts.

But I agree with your last statement...............

They are facts but as with any statistics should be put into context which you conveniently chose not to do.

Your standards are absurd. And I find it odd that it's OK for other forms of recreation, but not golf. I do some of my best thinking on the golf course between shots.

BTW, you should know that Obama does not always play 18 holes when he plays, not does he take anywhere near 4 hours to play. I doubt the POTUS is held up by slow play,

Bill M

Note: This thread is 4179 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!