IGNORED

Great Golf Instruction Tips, Videos and Articles

mvmac
Note: This thread is 1570 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The best instruction is the kind a five year old could ‘get’.

People are far too concerned with body positions before they understand basic fundamental operation of the tool which is swinging.

• Administrator
12 hours ago, Jack Watson said:

The best instruction is the kind a five year old could ‘get’.

That probably sounds wise in your head, but when the rubber meets the road, it loses its meaning fast.

12 hours ago, Jack Watson said:

People are far too concerned with body positions before they understand basic fundamental operation of the tool which is swinging.

You say this based on… what exactly? Your deep knowledge of the golf swing? Your own experiences with instruction?

The body is what moves the clubhead. The clubhead doesn't move on its own. The best instruction blends the various methods as appropriate. Sometimes that's club focused or another external focus. Sometimes it's more internal or body awareness.

Positions are checkpoints. Better swings tend to hit certain kinds of checkpoints. There's a difference between making swings TO checkpoints and using checkpoints to check the overall motion.

And that video you like to post, well, this woman needs to work on something - positions, "how" she's "swinging the clubhead," something, because this is unlikely the position from which she plays the best golf she can play:

Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 12.34.25 PM.png

Major re-route coming from there.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/23/2018 at 3:10 AM, mvmac said:

Outstanding. I hang back quite a bit throughout the round (not always) and this is a great practice drill.

• 7 months later...

I hate that I didnt figure this out until the last week, but I had started wondering why my back was hurting so much. Did some mirror work with my movements and did google searching. Came to the realization that I was trying to keep my head too centered and was really extending my back badly. Really helped me out and created even a slight draw from just changing my head position a bit.

• 1 year later...

Just sharing some good stuff from an instructor I've gotten to know over the past year. I've spent some time with him, keep him updated on what I'm doing with my game/swing and he's buddies with my guy here in Summerlin.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

These are really basic golf drill/explanation videos.  They are simple to understand.  I know there are those who can dissect the different swing positions, unfortunately I end up like Bob Hope in The Paleface (Draws from the left so lean to the right...).

When I partially tore a couple of rotator cuff tendons crashing on my bike, I had a limited backsewing so I started turning more to compensate which threw a lot of things off.  I found the Faldo (Leadbetter) drill to get my club set at least close to the right place.  I actually played a round or two pre-setting my wrists a few years ago.  Now I only do this drill to check if I am still setting up okay.

This video gave me a great explanation of what can cause coming over the top and a couple of drills to eliminate it.  Like everyone else I understood I was coming outside in, but the mechanics of what was causing it seem to elude me.  This one was a real eye opener.

For the last 6 months I have been struggling with the sequence in my downswing.  Bringing the club inside was great but, it seemed like I could only do it consistently if I really lagged behind my turn.  I was hitting the ball better, but it was also a timing and weight shifting nightmare.  I went back to iacas' Slide Don't Turn thread and started to try to incorporate a hip slide into my swing.  This video struck me as a really simple demonstration.

With my swing I'm not good with a bunch of words trying to explain this or that, or a complex video with a half a dozen twists and turns.  I need it simple to get that aha moment.

John

Note: This thread is 1570 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!