Jump to content
IGNORED

Take-away at beginning of swing.


Note: This thread is 3404 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recommended Posts

Question. I'm confused on my take away. When I first started playing golf, I learned (I think) that I should first move my arms into my upswing/away from my body, then rotate my hips. A few months ago, I started my upswing with my arms and hips moving/rotating at the same time on the takeaway. Doing both of these showed different results. However, my memory is hazy on how each shot turns out, on a different swing. I play golf to much..

So.

Should I start my swing/take away with moving my arms away from my body in my upswing (about halfway until my wrists hinge at 90*), then turn my hips?

Or

Should I start my takeaway/upswing with my arms and hips moving/rotating at the same time?

All the help would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Holidays!

Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by Cabrisses

Question. I'm confused on my take away. When I first started playing golf, I learned (I think) that I should first move my arms into my upswing/away from my body, then rotate my hips. A few months ago, I started my upswing with my arms and hips moving/rotating at the same time on the takeaway. Doing both of these showed different results. However, my memory is hazy on how each shot turns out, on a different swing. I play golf to much..

So.

Should I start my swing/take away with moving my arms away from my body in my upswing (about halfway until my wrists hinge at 90*), then turn my hips?

Or

Should I start my takeaway/upswing with my arms and hips moving/rotating at the same time?

All the help would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Holidays!


Don't start your swing by lifting your arms away from your body and then later turning your hips.

I would practice with a towel across your chest under your arms to help you with your takeaway.

While the towel is under your arms try to maintain slight pressure under your arms

If you lift the club away like you first suggested then the towel will come loose

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

"Or

Should I start my takeaway/upswing with my arms and hips moving/rotating at the same time?"

This is close. I learned it this way. Arms somewhat static until club becomes parallel to the ground. The turn begins with the shoulders and is centered about the waist. This action pulls the hips around. The wrists cock and the club is then parallel to the ground. From there simply lift the lead arm up and under the chin. This will/should promote additional shoulder/waist/hip turning. Your at the top position should be shoulders at 90 degrees with the lead arm in line with the inclined shoulder angle. FWIW my typical drill.

Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by Kieran123

I need to work on this...I cock my wrists far too early.

Anyone know if this causes any repeatable issue?


What makes you think that you hinge your wrists too early?

Link to post
Share on other sites

who tells you, Pros? or just friends, because if its the 2nd they probably know nothing.

As for the take away, depends on were the club is at top. If the club is in a good position, i could care less if you hinge right from the start or if you wait to the last second, doesn't really matter.

As for the start of he swing, what i feel will be different, but i like to just rotate the shoulders, keeping connected and just making sure my hands go up. Its tough to explain, i know what i am doing, thats whats tough answering this question with you seeing your swing on video. Because its unique to you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Another helpful drill is to play a board (a 2 x 4 is fine) behind the clubhead and try to push the clubhead back as you initiate the swing.  If you get too wristy you wont be able to push the board back but if you stay connected you will push the board back a few inches.

Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by Kieran123

I need to work on this...I cock my wrists far too early.

Anyone know if this causes any repeatable issue?



My father does that actually. I've tried it before.. I'm always experimenting with my swing. I've noticed that I usually get more height on my short irons.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been practicing not thinking about my arms at all.  I worry about my shoulder turn and firing through with my hips.  I have never been a consistent ball striker, but since adopting this approach a have been making solid contact at a higher percentage.  Really if you think about it, your arms if relaxed and loose should come along for the ride if you make the correct turn keeping you on plane.  Of course since it is the golf swing there are probably a 1000 reasons why I am wrong. LOL

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Moderator


Originally Posted by Kieran123

I've seen it in my swing videos and people tell me all the time - only with my driver for some reason



Put this together to help understand what may be going on.  Also how I like to feel the takeaway

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

? for you Mike,

How quickly should the right arm start bending on the backswing?

Does the right arm bend and arms start moving to the right, then the left shoulders starts kicking down.

I am trying to figure out why using a steeper shoulder turn the hand path is taking a "slightly" out path before starting its elevation to the top.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Moderator


Originally Posted by gmbtempe

? for you Mike,

How quickly should the right arm start bending on the backswing?

Does the right arm bend and arms start moving to the right, then the left shoulders starts kicking down.

I am trying to figure out why using a steeper shoulder turn the hand path is taking a "slightly" out path before starting its elevation to the top.



Right arm basically starts bending immediately.  Might be very slight from P1 -P1.5 but it is bending.  It's also part of the ascending piece.  I don't even think about, right shoulder cranks up as I keep my pressure points.  If the hand path is out you might be loading the arm too fast too soon.  Feel like the space between your elbows doesn't change from P1-3, see how that changes the picture.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator

Originally Posted by mvmac

Right arm basically starts bending immediately.  Might be very slight from P1 -P1.5 but it is bending.  It's also part of the ascending piece.  I don't even think about, right shoulder cranks up as I keep my pressure points.  If the hand path is out you might be loading the arm too fast too soon.  Feel like the space between your elbows doesn't change from P1-3, see how that changes the picture.


When it doesn't bend right away (like in my swing), it can cause problems in the transition. My right arm will have a tendency to over-flex late (poor extensor action) because it's trying to "catch up" with the rest of the backswing, and invariably "over-shoots" the target so to speak.

I'm working on feeling a right forearm fanning motion (which helps to keep the elbow a bit more in front of me as well) which mostly just helps with the right elbow bending.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3404 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasfeb21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. colegolf1
      colegolf1
      (23 years old)
    2. mittens
      mittens
      (55 years old)
    3. Northwoods88
      Northwoods88
      (33 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...