IGNORED

Path to the Tour?

Domenic
Note: This thread is 4465 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and anyone questioning my obsessive love for golf, just ask my fam and friends. It's most of the time ALL I think about watch read whatevs. But I don't really need to prove that to you, rather to myself. I have a strong obsession with things. See, I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but in 4th grade, I've acquied facial/vocal tics. Since then, once I start something I can't really stop. It actually really sucks, socially. Anyway, golf is like my second tic.

"It's better to burn out than to fade away." -Kurt Cobain

All I asked was how much practise did you do today and what are you currently working on? I'd enjoy reading updates on how you are attempting to reach your goal of playing on tour.

Edit: Didn't see your first reply. Apologies.

Snow on the ground doesn't stop Steve Stricker

Originally Posted by Domenic

wow, that was marvelously helpful, I was kinda hoping initially that someone would tell me, OK you gonna need to hit 800 balls a day, get 60 shots in a row withing 6 ft. etc.

OK, it does appear that you didn't really read my post or comprehend the message.   So here's what you need to do:   hit 800 balls a day and get 60 shots in a row within 6 ft.    Do that and you'll be a Tour pro.   Better?

Quote:

unless you consider air swinging practising, I didn't at all. Snow covers the ground here in NE Ohio.

Right now, at this instant, there are probably hundreds of other kids your age or younger in Ohio practicing.   Maybe they're out in the garage with a net trying to learn how to square the club face.   Maybe they're standing in front of full length mirrors practicing their swing in slow motion checking positions along the way.   Maybe they're wearing a track in the living room carpet from putting 10 footers for endless hours.   They're looking at the snow cover as an reason to focus on some other part of their game, not as an excuse to avoid it.

You seem to mistake obsession for commitment.   Hey, I'm obsessed with golf too.   I read about golf constantly, have the TV tuned to the Golf Channel nearly all the time, and spend too much time looking at golf stuff on the web in the evenings.     But I don't have the commitment (now or ever) to do all those things needed to be really good and even give myself a wild long shot at turning pro.    If you're really going to give yourself that shot, you can't just be obsessed - you need to be committed to the point that you not only think of nothing else but that you also DO nothing else but practice and try to improve.

Originally Posted by Clambake

OK, it does appear that you didn't really read my post or comprehend the message.   So here's what you need to do:   hit 800 balls a day and get 60 shots in a row within 6 ft.    Do that and you'll be a Tour pro.   Better?

Quote:

Right now, at this instant, there are probably hundreds of other kids your age or younger in Ohio practicing.   Maybe they're out in the garage with a net trying to learn how to square the club face.   Maybe they're standing in front of full length mirrors practicing their swing in slow motion checking positions along the way.   Maybe they're wearing a track in the living room carpet from putting 10 footers for endless hours.   They're looking at the snow cover as an reason to focus on some other part of their game, not as an excuse to avoid it.

You seem to mistake obsession for commitment.   Hey, I'm obsessed with golf too.   I read about golf constantly, have the TV tuned to the Golf Channel nearly all the time, and spend too much time looking at golf stuff on the web in the evenings.     But I don't have the commitment (now or ever) to do all those things needed to be really good and even give myself a wild long shot at turning pro.    If you're really going to give yourself that shot, you can't just be obsessed - you need to be committed to the point that you not only think of nothing else but that you also DO nothing else but practice and try to improve.

OK, I'd love to meet those kids. I hate to say it but they're probably freaks. You have to live life and enjoy all aspects of it; live long and prosper, not pack a tent and go set up on hole #6 and stay there forever. And I do not use snow as an exuse. I spent all my cash on 6 week lessons at the Golf Dome, that includes practice time. I have yet to meet those kids, and question their existence, but your post just lit a fire under my ass, now I gotta go  do that stuff, just to beat those little golf pricks.

OK, I'd love to meet those kids. I hate to say it but they're probably freaks. You have to live life and enjoy all aspects of it; live long and prosper, not pack a tent and go set up on hole #6 and stay there forever. And I do not use snow as an exuse. I spent all my cash on 6 week lessons at the Golf Dome, that includes practice time. I have yet to meet those kids, and question their existence, but your post just lit a fire under my ass, now I gotta go  do that stuff, just to beat those little golf pricks.

Atta boy Dom, go kick some golf prick ass!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

there's so many of them at my club (Stonewater) walking around around like they own up the place, nose in the air, stick shoved up their behinds, when I'm at the range I'm like, hey, I got a right to be here too.

Ignore them. You are there to work on your game. Work on your game and then go home. Make them want to notice you .

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Originally Posted by The_Pharaoh

Ignore them. You are there to work on your game. Work on your game and then go home. Make them want to notice you.

it's good advice......another problem I encounter is during the summertime, the most my phsyco (loving) mother ever lets me stay for is an hour and 10, the 10 being just cuz she's always late.

and anyone questioning my obsessive love for golf, just ask my fam and friends. It's most of the time ALL I think about watch read whatevs. But I don't really need to prove that to you, rather to myself. I have a strong obsession with things. See, I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but in 4th grade, I've acquied facial/vocal tics. Since then, once I start something I can't really stop. It actually really sucks, socially. Anyway, golf is like my second tic.

Something that may surprise you is the fact that of all the best players I've known over the years, and this includes several touring professionals,95  percent of them spend no time at all reading about golf and thinking about equipment. They have no interest at all in what others do on the golf course or what gear they have.

You could start a conversation about brand X's latest offering or the specs of their driver shaft and they wouldn't know what you were talking about. Even if it's a huge topic on golf forums

I was talking to a PGA Tour winner and current player recently. I asked him about his shaft and he said he didn't what it was. Said he just uses what works and what they give him after testing. You have to find a way to practice no matter where you live. Being obsessive means hitting golf balls in the snow, not dreaming about being a pro when you should be at school working on your spelling.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Shorty

Something that may surprise you is the fact that of all the best players I've known over the years, and this includes several touring professionals,95  percent of them spend no time at all reading about golf and thinking about equipment. They have no interest at all in what others do on the golf course or what gear they have.

You could start a conversation about brand X's latest offering or the specs of their driver shaft and they wouldn't know what you were talking about. Even if it's a huge topic on golf forums

I was talking to a PGA Tour winner and current player recently. I asked him about his shaft and he said he didn't what it was. Said he just uses what works and what they give him after testing. You have to find a way to practice no matter where you live. Being obsessive means hitting golf balls in the snow, not dreaming about being a pro when you should be at school working on your spelling.

fair enough, but I don't really care about one pro you encountered, theres hundreds, and someday Im gonna be one of 'em.

You can't beat the average player with a 26 handicap good luck with being a pro.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3
3 wood: 15 Callaway X Hot pro
Hybrids:  18 Callaway X Hot Pro
Irons: 4-GW Callaway Apex
project x 6.0
Wedges: 54 , 58 Callaway
Putter: 2 ball
Ball: Callaway Chrome

Originally Posted by Shorty

I was talking to a PGA Tour winner and current player recently. I asked him about his shaft and he said he didn't what it was. Said he just uses what works and what they give him after testing. You have to find a way to practice no matter where you live.

I'm doubt this is the case, unless you were speaking to Bubba Watson. I think you've flipped the percentages. 5% probably don't have a clue, I think the rest are extremely clued up. Just take a look at all the TrackMan/Flightscope videos on the internet with pros tweaking their games, the number of pro golfer Twitter accounts, clinics/talks given by pros etc.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

I'm doubt this is the case, unless you were speaking to Bubba Watson. I think you've flipped the percentages. 5% probably don't have a clue, I think the rest are extremely clued up. Just take a look at all the TrackMan/Flightscope videos on the internet with pros tweaking their games, the number of pro golfer Twitter accounts, clinics/talks given by pros etc.

The point I'm making is that their primary focus is scoring, not thinking about golf equipment.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

• Administrator

I think you over-estimate pro golfers. Most of 'em don't care too much or don't have the time to care too much. They rely on the club technicians to say "this club is what you want" and don't really care what it is. They'll ask a few questions, provide some thoughts on the shape or trajectory or feel, but otherwise, eh, just give 'em the sticks they hit well and let 'em go play.

I don't think it's 95/5 one way or the other, but it depends on how you define "they know a bit about their equipment". How much puts them in one group versus the other? If knowing every spec is required, then 95/5 is probably right. If knowing the shaft brand and maybe the length or their loft and preferred settings on an adjustable driver, then they're probably 95/5 the other way. But for a more reasonable definition it's somewhere in the middle. Some pros know a lot, some know a little. Virtually none know everything and virtually none know nothing. Probably very close to a gaussian curve in the end.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

I don't think it's 95/5 one way or the other, but it depends on how you define "they know a bit about their equipment". How much puts them in one group versus the other? If knowing every spec is required, then 95/5 is probably right. If knowing the shaft brand and maybe the length or their loft and preferred settings on an adjustable driver, then they're probably 95/5 the other way. But for a more reasonable definition it's somewhere in the middle. Some pros know a lot, some know a little. Virtually none know everything and virtually none know nothing. Probably very close to a gaussian curve in the end.

True, I guess it depends on how you define "they know a bit about their equipment". My comment was really in reply to the fact Shorty seemed to be saying most pros didn't know much at all about the equipment they use. My impression from the videos I've seen on pros tweaking their equipment and clinics I've attended by ex-touring and touring pros is they know what the technician is talking about, they understand the numbers on TrackMan and know what they are looking for when it comes to finding the right equipment. But now we are asking, "how long is a piece of string".

I'd guess that pro golfers know enough about their equipment to speak intelligently to their club fitters / makers.  When I listen to the PGA Tour channel on XM the guest PGA tour players seem to know details about their sponsors equipment which I'm guessing is part of the deal.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 4465 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!