IGNORED

Path to the Tour?

Domenic
Note: This thread is 4460 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't need you to put words in my mouth.  You know what they say about people who assume.....

Yes I said "13".  In this particular case the kid is 13 years old.  So what?  I made a general blanket statement in a forum with open communication.

You said "Then why mention it?"...  I'm mentioning it because I see this stuff all the time.  I'm not on here to disrespect other people but to share some of my personal experience.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not quite on the topic, but the club championship (scratch) at my club last summer was won by a 13 year old. There's probably around 700 members at my club, so no mean feat and the fact that he brought it home by a couple of shots in the final round in very trying conditions shows he's pretty strong under pressure.

I think he's currently playing off 1, and while he's considered a prospect there's a long way to go before he can even consider making a career of out playing golf. Something for the OP to think about.

Shooting a 1 at 13 is really solid. But all 13 years old are not remotely the same from a physical maturity point of view. Look at the LLWS (granted those are 11-12 year olds) to see the range. By 16 or 17 this all evens out. I would doubt though that pretty much any range of maturity is worth more than ~10 shots.

Originally Posted by Mordan

Not quite on the topic, but the club championship (scratch) at my club last summer was won by a 13 year old. There's probably around 700 members at my club, so no mean feat and the fact that he brought it home by a couple of shots in the final round in very trying conditions shows he's pretty strong under pressure.

I think he's currently playing off 1, and while he's considered a prospect there's a long way to go before he can even consider making a career of out playing golf. Something for the OP to think about.

Shooting a 1 at 13 is really solid. But all 13 years old are not remotely the same from a physical maturity point of view. Look at the LLWS (granted those are 11-12 year olds) to see the range. By 16 or 17 this all evens out. I would doubt though that pretty much any range of maturity is worth more than ~10 shots.

[quote name="Mordan" url="/t/54788/path-to-the-tour/198#post_675203"]

[/quote] What tees was this kid playing from? That is really good regardless of what tees he is playing from. but if he was playing from the back tees, that is awesome! We have a kid that has won our club championship the last two years at age 15 and 16 and we have some seriously accomplished players...one guy was 2nd team all american in the early 90's and played in some tour events... but it just didn't pan out due to having three kids and some financial issues. So when kids this young can step up and take down some more accomplished players, it is really cool to watch. Gotta love it!! And X129, come on man. Worth more than 10 shots? What are you talking about? He wasn't saying the kid is going to be +9 by the time he is 18...there isn't a +9 on the planet. This kid he is speaking of is playing to a 1 at 13 and most likely playing from the same tees as the adults...and beating people much older than him....so just give him his props! There has to be some good players if there are 700 members. And golf and baseball aren't a good comparison. The LLWS kids that dominate are more of a result of maturing physically earlier...those dominant pitchers are just bigger and stronger than the rest of the kids. Golf is more of skill sport at that age than baseball or any other sport. My 12 year old team was 1 game away from the LLWS and lost on an error...I'll never forgive my third basemen. ha! Anyway, you had the big kids throwing 65-75 from 46 feet away and thats like seeing a 100+ mph fastball from that close. You couldn't possibly react from that close...Its hard for mLB players from 60 feet....these kids don't even have to throw strikes. You basically had to decide before each pitch whether you were going to swing or not. Most of the best players from that all star team that I played on didn't even make our high school team...they were just striking people out and hitting home runs because they already had muscles and hair on their balls. Its also completely different because the fence is only 200 feet in center and the mound is only 46 feet opposed to 400+ in center and 60.5 feet. ..golf hole stays the same size, rough is the same length. That kid still has to get that ball in hole. Yes, just because he plays to a 1 at 13 doesn't mean he will be winning majors. But that is more based on how he develops mentally than physically. He may stop practicing because he's burnt out, or decide he likes basketball more than golf, or has a girlfriend that distracts him, or gets mixed up with the wrong crowd. Ya know?

DRIVER Taylormade R11S w/ Tour AD DI-7S 3 WOOD Taylormade R11S RIP Phenom Stiff 16.5 HYBRID Taylormade Rocketballz Tour Stiff IRONS 4-6 iron Taylormade MC w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff IRONS 7-PW Taylormade MB w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff WEDGES Titleist Vokey SM4 Black Nickel 52.12, 56.11, 60.10 PUTTER NIKE METHOD 001 33', Taylormade Ghost Spider 33' BAG ADIDAS AG Tour Stand Bag BALLS TITLEIST PRO-V1X SHOESADIDAS ADIPURE GPS SKYCADDIE SGX

Originally Posted by jhwmusic

What tees was this kid playing from? That is really good regardless of what tees he is playing from. but if he was playing from the back tees, that is awesome! We have a kid that has won our club championship the last two years at age 15 and 16 and we have some seriously accomplished players...one guy was 2nd team all american in the early 90's and played in some tour events... but it just didn't pan out due to having three kids and some financial issues. So when kids this young can step up and take down some more accomplished players, it is really cool to watch. Gotta love it!!

This was from the competition tees, which are just over 6,600 yards at my club. Not a long course by modern standards but it's no pushover.

And he's not one of those kids who dominates in his age range because he's first to mature. He looks every bit of a 13 year old kid. His parents seem pretty supportive, so I'm sure he will give it a shot but there's such a long way to go that at this stage he's no more than one of many in a similar position at this point in time.

Originally Posted by Domenic

OKAY..............thanks to all who encourage me

unthanks to all who say I will never make it, I suppose your just stating your belief but come on.....just remember what you say when your watching me light up your TV screen in 10 years.....

upside to thread: its gotten the most responses I've ever had

downside to thread: I'm going to have to insist that Shorty and all other negatives go listen to "Mean" by Taylor Swift

Originally Posted by Deryck Griffith

There is nothing wrong with goals or dreams.  I remember what it was like to be 14 and please continue to stay motivated to drive towards the goals you want.

The only thing I will say is to make sure your goals are focused.  Instead of thinking after the PGA Tour right now, think about how you can get from the 40s to the 30s.  How you can get up and down more, how can you swing better, how you can putt better, etc etc....streamline your focus to these specific things instead of worrying how to make the tour.

If you streamline your focus and start to improve, everything else will happen if its supposed to.

Good luck

Good advice.  I would just like to add to it the following: stop listening to Taylor Swift.  You'll have a much better chance of making the Tour.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

hey guys, I strongly thank the encouragement, you're what I'm looking for. Sadly, Shorty continues to pretend he can see into my soul, and see why I  want to live my life the way I do............pity

"It's better to burn out than to fade away." -Kurt Cobain

Originally Posted by Domenic

hey guys, I strongly thank the encouragement, you're what I'm looking for. Sadly, Shorty continues to pretend he can see into my soul, and see why I  want to live my life the way I do............pity

Yes, so sad that a foul mouthed, rude upstart who wants to be rich and famous isn't given the credit he deserves.

BTW, the guy who just came third in the Australian Amateur is 15 and plays of  plus 1.

he looks about 12.  Reuben Sondjata. You can see him on youtube.

You will see that he's all class and humilty, unlike some.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Can't believe this thread is still going --

Domenic --

If you need "atta boys" you do not have the psychological makeup to win. Be confident in your yourself and your ability. Your scores in tournaments will chart your progress

Get a plan - plan your day, week, month, year for your golf game - do a 5 yr plan. Start from a general goal and than go to the details

Educate yourself on these forums -- video your swing, read the instructional threads, especially if you're converting to TGM and S&T;, use the resources here, the book, the new S&T; videos. Get your head stronger by reading and don't laugh -- but read Rotella, and doing the zen-budhist spiritual thing like Tiger is good mental exercise -- it will help you live/stay in the moment. But don't get into pissing matches like this thread.

Play - and play for something, whether it's a coke or a nickel a hole.

Exercise.

Educate yourself

In other words, get a plan and get to it.

Good luck.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

If you need "atta boys" you do not have the psychological makeup to win.

If he's 13, his psychological makeup is still in development.  I don't think any permanent conclusions can be drawn on that just yet.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by Mordan

This was from the competition tees, which are just over 6,600 yards at my club. Not a long course by modern standards but it's no pushover.

And he's not one of those kids who dominates in his age range because he's first to mature. He looks every bit of a 13 year old kid. His parents seem pretty supportive, so I'm sure he will give it a shot but there's such a long way to go that at this stage he's no more than one of many in a similar position at this point in time.

That is so awesome!  I hope he sticks with it.  His parents will play the biggest role in this...and from the sounds of it, they are good people.  Very cool!

The kid at our club looks younger than he really is if anything.   He looks like he's 12.   He has had the "Club Champion" parking spot for two years and he doesn't even have his license yet.  Sometimes he will show up on his bike and park it there to be funny.  Really good kid with really good parents.

DRIVER Taylormade R11S w/ Tour AD DI-7S 3 WOOD Taylormade R11S RIP Phenom Stiff 16.5 HYBRID Taylormade Rocketballz Tour Stiff IRONS 4-6 iron Taylormade MC w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff IRONS 7-PW Taylormade MB w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff WEDGES Titleist Vokey SM4 Black Nickel 52.12, 56.11, 60.10 PUTTER NIKE METHOD 001 33', Taylormade Ghost Spider 33' BAG ADIDAS AG Tour Stand Bag BALLS TITLEIST PRO-V1X SHOESADIDAS ADIPURE GPS SKYCADDIE SGX

Originally Posted by bplewis24

If he's 13, his psychological makeup is still in development.  I don't think any permanent conclusions can be drawn on that just yet.

Brandon

It was meant as a general statement ... neither permanent nor a conclusion.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

yeah, I understand that you aren't going to take me seriously. Let's keep in mind that this is internet. All you know for what I look like is Gohan in SSJ2 form. All you know is what I've shown, which hasn't exactly been me. I'm not asking for approval of random, yet I'm sure kind, people I don't even know. I know as little about you as you know about me. I get I've been an ass, but please Shorty please don't pretend like you know me.

"That's not me it's just what I used to know" Kill the Messenger- Jack's Mannequinn

Yeah, for all we know Domenic is a 75 year x convict with a sick sense of humor and a twisted obsession with Taylor Swift and the Japanese Anime series "Dragon Ball." Or maybe he's a spy! It's a mystery I had to google Gohan to figure out that Dragon Ball part....cuz i had no idea what he was talking about.

watch the show, your life will be changed for ever. AND I"M SAYING THIS TO THE WORLD!!! MY T SWIFT FETISH IS OVER!!!! it was just a phase, geez.

Originally Posted by jhwmusic

What tees was this kid playing from? That is really good regardless of what tees he is playing from. but if he was playing from the back tees, that is awesome! We have a kid that has won our club championship the last two years at age 15 and 16 and we have some seriously accomplished players...one guy was 2nd team all american in the early 90's and played in some tour events... but it just didn't pan out due to having three kids and some financial issues. So when kids this young can step up and take down some more accomplished players, it is really cool to watch. Gotta love it!!

And X129, come on man. Worth more than 10 shots? What are you talking about? He wasn't saying the kid is going to be +9 by the time he is 18...there isn't a +9 on the planet. This kid he is speaking of is playing to a 1 at 13 and most likely playing from the same tees as the adults...and beating people much older than him....so just give him his props! There has to be some good players if there are 700 members. And golf and baseball aren't a good comparison. The LLWS kids that dominate are more of a result of maturing physically earlier...those dominant pitchers are just bigger and stronger than the rest of the kids. Golf is more of skill sport at that age than baseball or any other sport. My 12 year old team was 1 game away from the LLWS and lost on an error...I'll never forgive my third basemen. ha! Anyway, you had the big kids throwing 65-75 from 46 feet away and thats like seeing a 100+ mph fastball from that close. You couldn't possibly react from that close...Its hard for mLB players from 60 feet....these kids don't even have to throw strikes. You basically had to decide before each pitch whether you were going to swing or not. Most of the best players from that all star team that I played on didn't even make our high school team...they were just striking people out and hitting home runs because they already had muscles and hair on their balls. Its also completely different because the fence is only 200 feet in center and the mound is only 46 feet opposed to 400+ in center and 60.5 feet. ..golf hole stays the same size, rough is the same length. That kid still has to get that ball in hole. Yes, just because he plays to a 1 at 13 doesn't mean he will be winning majors. But that is more based on how he develops mentally than physically. He may stop practicing because he's burnt out, or decide he likes basketball more than golf, or has a girlfriend that distracts him, or gets mixed up with the wrong crowd. Ya know?

I actually think that X129 and you are both correct with your logic on his development but I actually don't think baseball is a bad comparison. Pretty much what you said is 100% correct kids that are bigger and stronger at 12 dominate LL but by 15-16 everyone else catches or passes them physically. I started playing in local junior tourneys when I was 13 and one kid in our group dominated mainly because he was bigger and stronger. His short game was about the same as everyone but he hit the ball 20-30 yards further than everyone which was a huge advantage. However by 15-16 everyone was hitting it as far as him and his winning streak came to an end. Golf is not at all physically like some other sports but getting stronger will be part of what he has in his future. The course he won on was 6600 yards and for a 13 year old that's impressive but it's not 7200+ so being able to gain some distance is going to be key. Mentally he is on the same level with anyone else so while it's a factor it's between his ears and he has total control over it. Now none of this applies if he is like Andy Reid and is 6'2 275lbs with a full beard at 13...

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Kids catch up physically in baseball...but you don't have to be a brute to play golf.  Yes, if you are a big 13 year old, you are at an advantage.  But just because some big 12 year old that you knew had a similar short game to you, doesn't mean every big 12 year old has the same short game as the rest of the kids.  Half the players on the PGA tour don't weigh more than 150 pounds.  I know he has since put on a little weight, but Charles Howell used to have the body of a dainty woman but he was still was hitting it 300+.  Hitting a golf ball far has more to do with flexibility and timing.  Hitting a baseball far has more to do with Strength and timing.  I'm just saying that his game will improve more based on his mental game than physical...The kid is obviously gonna gain some distance as he matures...he's only 13!!!  I never said that he if he hits the ball the same distance as he does now for the rest of his life he will be fine.  You are putting words in my mouth.

Originally Posted by clubchamp

I actually think that X129 and you are both correct with your logic on his development but I actually don't think baseball is a bad comparison. Pretty much what you said is 100% correct kids that are bigger and stronger at 12 dominate LL but by 15-16 everyone else catches or passes them physically. I started playing in local junior tourneys when I was 13 and one kid in our group dominated mainly because he was bigger and stronger. His short game was about the same as everyone but he hit the ball 20-30 yards further than everyone which was a huge advantage. However by 15-16 everyone was hitting it as far as him and his winning streak came to an end. Golf is not at all physically like some other sports but getting stronger will be part of what he has in his future. The course he won on was 6600 yards and for a 13 year old that's impressive but it's not 7200+ so being able to gain some distance is going to be key. Mentally he is on the same level with anyone else so while it's a factor it's between his ears and he has total control over it. Now none of this applies if he is like Andy Reid and is 6'2 275lbs with a full beard at 13...

Note: This thread is 4460 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!