IGNORED

Path to the Tour?

Domenic
Note: This thread is 4440 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

damn, why is everyone so good. I mean shooting par at 13, the best kid I knew my age last year shot in the 80's and one pracitically every event on my Tour (NCJT) Sidebar, we have had many people come out of that and onto the world of golf. go to NCJT.org and look at hall of fame. Most notably is Jason Dufner, and the head pro at TPC Sawgrass. And this year Jason Kokrak who was formally on the tour, just got a pass to THE Tour after winning 3 times on the Nationwide. So I suppose all these people were once in the same junior tour i was, and they made it.

"It's better to burn out than to fade away." -Kurt Cobain

Originally Posted by Domenic

damn, why is everyone so good. I mean shooting par at 13, the best kid I knew my age last year shot in the 80's and one pracitically every event on my Tour (NCJT) Sidebar, we have had many people come out of that and onto the world of golf. go to NCJT.org and look at hall of fame. Most notably is Jason Dufner, and the head pro at TPC Sawgrass. And this year Jason Kokrak who was formally on the tour, just got a pass to THE Tour after winning 3 times on the Nationwide. So I suppose all these people were once in the same junior tour i was, and they made it.

Maybe you should send a letter to Jason Dufner and ask him how he made it.  I'm sure he'd have some words of wisdom for you.

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

Originally Posted by Tomboys

Maybe you should send a letter to Jason Dufner and ask him how he made it.  I'm sure he'd have some words of wisdom for you.

I think your being serious. If you are thanks, if your not, understandable, some random 13 comes onto a blog and demands a route to the high life. Razzing is normal

I think your being serious. If you are thanks, if your not, understandable, some random 13 comes onto a blog and demands a route to the high life. Razzing is normal

It's actually not a terrible idea, give it a shot. Emphasize that you come from his "roots" so to speak.

While your at it, why not write a letter to Taylor Swift too? Sorry, couldn't resist

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

It's actually not a terrible idea, give it a shot. Emphasize that you come from his "roots" so to speak.

While your at it, why not write a letter to Taylor Swift too? Sorry, couldn't resist

it's actually not a bad idea, but JD, wait he doesn't even deserve cool initials yet, Jason Dufner probs gets like 200 fan letters a year, for a stretch, where as TSwift, (totally in deserving of cool shortened name) gets like that many a day. But I could seperate myself by sending her the songs I write about her..........oh Jesus, did I just say that out loud?

No razzing here, just a suggestion that you may find useful.

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

it's actually not a bad idea, but JD, wait he doesn't even deserve cool initials yet, Jason Dufner probs gets like 200 fan letters a year, for a stretch, where as TSwift, (totally in deserving of cool shortened name) gets like that many a day. But I could seperate myself by sending her the songs I write about her..........oh Jesus, did I just say that out loud?

Why don't you post your songs about TSwift here, or more appropriately, the Grill Room. Then us trappers can help you evaluate which songs are the best before you send them to TSwift? I think that would be fun.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Why don't you post your songs about TSwift here, or more appropriately, the Grill Room. Then us trappers can help you evaluate which songs are the best before you send them to TSwift? I think that would be fun.

dude, I hope to God you're joking right now.

dude, I hope to God you're joking right now.

I had more or less assumed that everything in this thread was a joke. Are you telling me you're serious? That makes it even funnier!

Yours in earnest, Jason.

I had more or less assumed that everything in this thread was a joke. Are you telling me you're serious? That makes it even funnier!

This^^^ This thread keeps on giving and giving.

Originally Posted by 1par2win

This^^^ This thread keeps on giving and giving.

I know, I keep telling myself to stay away but keep getting drawn back, it's totally an inter-web classic! 155 post so far = ridiculous! Good job Domenic. I wonder if he is really a love-struck 13 year old or just a fantastic satirist.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

I know, I keep telling myself to stay away but keep getting drawn back, it's totally an inter-web classic! 155 post so far = ridiculous! Good job Domenic. I wonder if he is really a love-struck 13 year old or just a fantastic satirist.

OK thanks I guess......but come on, I vowed to keep my temper down, but when I made this thread I was 100% serious. I'm not exactly here for your entertainment, was everyone's replies all just like "hey lets mock the kid with a dream?"

Here's what I would do if I were in your shoes.

I would start a program with your golf coach or club pro, which outlines your short term goals. Making the PGA tour is obviously the dream but we need to be realistic and start somewhere and work are way up. Short term goals that are realistic and achievable will help to build your confidence and with confidence you play better and better golf. At 14yrs old, I would focus on building your swing so you have a solid foundation that you can work with for many years to come. Work hard with a coach on your putting and short game. Hone your skills from 120yrds and in. Strength and conditioning are another key factor that get over looked by most. PGA tours for the most part are true athletes and your body is essential to every part of your game. I would get yourself set up with a trainer who can set up a good work out routine and stretching routine.

Playing under pressure situations is what competitive golf is all about. You need to be comfortable in tournaments and playing under the gun. I would get yourself into as many Junior events/ high school events as possible and continue improve your tournament play. Even when your out practicing and playing with friends, try and bring some sort of pressure into the game. Try and play your friends for golf balls and stuff like that. You have always got to have something in mind that is your goal for the round. When your at the range and putting green try and find little things that will make  you work.

Anyways I hope this helps and just practice, practice, practice. You can achieve whatever you want at your age as long as you have the support and work ethic to make your dreams come true. You will struggle and thrive along the way but just keep at it. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Whats in the my bag,

taylormade.gifR9 TP taylormade.gifSuperfast 3 wood Rescue 19*  712 MB (3-P KBS T shaft)  

SM4 52*,54*,60*   Pickemup 42" Belly Putter  titleist.gifPro V1x  adidas.gif 360 footwear

Reading through this thread is kind of like watching a disaster unfold before your eyes - strangely entertaining and kind of tragic at the same time.   The temptation is to turn away, but I think I have something constructive to add.

Domenic, you asked a fair question in your initial post.   A very naive question, but at your age we shouldn't expect you to be blessed with all the experience and wisdom that many here on TST have accumulated.   The responses you've received have been largely truthful and accurate, whether they be encouraging ("Go for it!") or discouraging ("You don't have a chance").    Some may have seemed a little harsh, but that's also part of the problem of a written conversation on the internet instead of verbal discussion.   The tone and intent doesn't come across, and the reader fills in that blank by reading into it whatever tone he or she may want.   I'd guess that even the most discouraging comments you've gotten here would actually be part of an enjoyable discussion if you and that person were sitting across the table from each other enjoying a nice beverage.

I have an observation to offer, and I'd like you to think about it a bit before you respond (if you choose).    I'm not trying to be a hater or an enthusiastic supporter....just an observer.    In your initial and subsequent posts, you're always talking about the results.    You shoot in the 40s now.   Your plan will be to shoot in low 40s this summer, and 30s next summer.  You'll be scratch in a few years.   You want to be a Tour player.    These are all results.      But no where in these do we see you talking about the process.   We don't hear you asking how to keep your thumb from blistering because you're trying to hit 400 balls a day while you figure out how to hit a high draw.    We don't see you commenting about getting up at 5:30am each day to practice chipping before school.   We don't hear you commenting that you've read every book on Hogan and still can't figure out what he meant about supinating the wrist.     Your comments all seem to be focused on the outcome, but a love of the process doesn't come out at all.

If you look at highly successful people in all walks of life, one common thing you'll see is that they were already in love with the process and activity of doing something long before they started dreaming big.    Tiger Woods was obsessed with hitting golf balls almost before he could walk.   Kobe Bryant would spend endless hours on the playground trying to emulate the moves of his idols long before he started dreaming of the NBA.   Steve Jobs didn't dream of creating one of the largest market cap companies in the world; he and Woz initially became obsessed with the hobbyist world of PCs.

I'm not seeing this in your communications.   Maybe it's there, but your passion for the process of learning the game and trying to do things with a golf ball better than anyone else doesn't come out at all.   Frankly, if it is there then I'd expect you already know the answer to the questions you'd be asking.   You wouldn't be asking us how to practice - you'd be out there yourself trying to figure it out.   You'd have already devoured every instruction book out there (libraries are a wonderful place) and would be trying to piece together and understand the often contradictory swing advice.   Your mom would be mad at you because the back yard is nothing but divots.   Your neighbors would be grumbling because you keep trying to hit high lobs down their chimney.   Your teachers would be complaining to your parents that you keep putting in the hallways at school, claiming they roll just like the slick Augusta greens.    These are the characteristics one sees in many of the young golfers (many younger than you) out there who may aspire to turn pro.    If you were really deeply involved in the process of becoming a better golfer than anyone else you've ever met, then I bet you'd get a lot of encouraging comments and advice.

If you understand what I'm saying, then you're already well ahead of where most people are your age in figuring out what they want to do in their life and become a success at it, whether it be a Tour player, course architect, company CEO, inspiring teacher, innovative scientist, or astronaut.      Think about what you really love to do, not what you perceive as the end result.    Ask specific question that help you focus that instead of very broad questions like how to be Tour player.    Do those, and you'll find a treasure support here and with everyone else you come in contact as you grow.

OK thanks I guess......but come on, I vowed to keep my temper down, but when I made this thread I was 100% serious. I'm not exactly here for your entertainment, was everyone's replies all just like "hey lets mock the kid with a dream?"

It's not a matter of knocking anyones dream, it's the way you have gone about it. Look, you want to play on tour? That's great. Nothing wromng with aiming high. But like anything else in life success comes from hard work, proper preperation, and the ability to close the mouth when it's time to listen. For every success story there are dozens of guys that talk a big game but never made it. So it's your choice. Either you close your mouth now and get to work achieving your dream or you can take pride in playing word games on the internet with other golf geeks that have real jobs.

You once asked how you go about practicing to get to that level well here is my advice. For every minute you spend on the internet there is another kid somewhere that has the same dream that is working on his game or studying the lessons of those who came before them. He is your competition, not us. It's your choice kid. Don't forget the ball is always in your court.

Originally Posted by Clambake

Reading through this thread is kind of like watching a disaster unfold before your eyes - strangely entertaining and kind of tragic at the same time.   The temptation is to turn away, but I think I have something constructive to add.

Domenic, you asked a fair question in your initial post.   A very naive question, but at your age we shouldn't expect you to be blessed with all the experience and wisdom that many here on TST have accumulated.   The responses you've received have been largely truthful and accurate, whether they be encouraging ("Go for it!") or discouraging ("You don't have a chance").    Some may have seemed a little harsh, but that's also part of the problem of a written conversation on the internet instead of verbal discussion.   The tone and intent doesn't come across, and the reader fills in that blank by reading into it whatever tone he or she may want.   I'd guess that even the most discouraging comments you've gotten here would actually be part of an enjoyable discussion if you and that person were sitting across the table from each other enjoying a nice beverage.

I have an observation to offer, and I'd like you to think about it a bit before you respond (if you choose).    I'm not trying to be a hater or an enthusiastic supporter....just an observer.    In your initial and subsequent posts, you're always talking about the results.    You shoot in the 40s now.   Your plan will be to shoot in low 40s this summer, and 30s next summer.  You'll be scratch in a few years.   You want to be a Tour player.    These are all results.      But no where in these do we see you talking about the process.   We don't hear you asking how to keep your thumb from blistering because you're trying to hit 400 balls a day while you figure out how to hit a high draw.    We don't see you commenting about getting up at 5:30am each day to practice chipping before school.   We don't hear you commenting that you've read every book on Hogan and still can't figure out what he meant about supinating the wrist.     Your comments all seem to be focused on the outcome, but a love of the process doesn't come out at all.

If you look at highly successful people in all walks of life, one common thing you'll see is that they were already in love with the process and activity of doing something long before they started dreaming big.    Tiger Woods was obsessed with hitting golf balls almost before he could walk.   Kobe Bryant would spend endless hours on the playground trying to emulate the moves of his idols long before he started dreaming of the NBA.   Steve Jobs didn't dream of creating one of the largest market cap companies in the world; he and Woz initially became obsessed with the hobbyist world of PCs.

I'm not seeing this in your communications.   Maybe it's there, but your passion for the process of learning the game and trying to do things with a golf ball better than anyone else doesn't come out at all.   Frankly, if it is there then I'd expect you already know the answer to the questions you'd be asking.   You wouldn't be asking us how to practice - you'd be out there yourself trying to figure it out.   You'd have already devoured every instruction book out there (libraries are a wonderful place) and would be trying to piece together and understand the often contradictory swing advice.   Your mom would be mad at you because the back yard is nothing but divots.   Your neighbors would be grumbling because you keep trying to hit high lobs down their chimney.   Your teachers would be complaining to your parents that you keep putting in the hallways at school, claiming they roll just like the slick Augusta greens.    These are the characteristics one sees in many of the young golfers (many younger than you) out there who may aspire to turn pro.    If you were really deeply involved in the process of becoming a better golfer than anyone else you've ever met, then I bet you'd get a lot of encouraging comments and advice.

If you understand what I'm saying, then you're already well ahead of where most people are your age in figuring out what they want to do in their life and become a success at it, whether it be a Tour player, course architect, company CEO, inspiring teacher, innovative scientist, or astronaut.      Think about what you really love to do, not what you perceive as the end result.    Ask specific question that help you focus that instead of very broad questions like how to be Tour player.    Do those, and you'll find a treasure support here and with everyone else you come in contact as you grow.

wow, that was marvelously helpful, I was kinda hoping initially that someone would tell me, OK you gonna need to hit 800 balls a day, get 60 shots in a row withing 6 ft. etc.

wow, that was marvelously helpful, I was kinda hoping initially that someone would tell me, OK you gonna need to hit 800 balls a day, get 60 shots in a row withing 6 ft. etc.

You're right, that was a helpful, thoughtful post.  But I'm not sure you got his point.  His point was not that you need to hit 800 balls a day.  His point was that it seems from what you've written that, yes, you like playing golf, but it doesn't seem, at least from how you've presented yourself, that you actually have that sort of obsessive love for the process that is really what is needed to have a chance at making it as a pro: constantly thinking about golf, hitting balls and putts, making sacrifices of lots of other stuff you might like to do in order to squeeze in every last minute of practice you can.

I mean, half of 10-14 year old boys say their dream is to play pro sports.  It should cause you to stop and think a bit that you didn't come to the board saying, "I make up tons of games for myself in my back yard every day practicing little wedge shots for 3 hours and baby sit my neighbor's kid to earn extra money so I can afford X hundred range balls every day but I have problem Y or don't understand issue Z and it's holding me back from progressing towards scratch like I'd like".  What you said sounded more like, "I love to go out and play with my friends.  Golf is really fun.  Wouldn't it be so sweet if I could be a millionaire doing that?  I only shoot in the 40s per 9 now.  How can I go pro?"  The first one sounds like someone who can at least play college golf, if not make it as a pro.  The second sounds like another random pre or early teen boy jabbering about how much he wants to be a professional athlete.

One piece of advice.  Don't know if money for range time is an issue (ie, do your parents pay for tons of range tokens?  Or are they members of a country club with a free range?).  If that's an issue, buy some birdie balls!  If you go to their website you can buy packs of 25, 50, or 100.  I take those to a local park with some lights at night and never have to pay for range time any more except to work on my driver.  WAY better than other practice, limited flight balls I've used, only go ~50 yards with a 3 wood.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Note: This thread is 4440 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!