IGNORED

Swing thoughts.

TarDawg
Note: This thread is 4070 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok so you've lined up your shot whether it's off the tee or in the fairway...etc.

What is the one or two things you remind yourself before you begin your take away?

For me I think "back of your left hand towards the target" "shorten back swing"(which means don't over swing. My main issue) and "swing through the ball down the target line not at the ball"

Then I swing. Just 3 real quick thoughts.

Now I need to come up with some thoughts on the putting green cause as of now I just kind of line it up and hit it.

In The Bag
SQ 5000 10.5

SQ Sumo 3 wood
MP-32 3-PWGolden Bear Gap Wedge SV Sand Wedge MP T Lob WedgeYes Golf Callie Putter

Unless it is a specialty shot, I try to ingrain a relaxed and balanced feel in a practice swing and then move into my shot only visualizing the target.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Have you ever seen "the greatest game ever played" ? The golfer focuses strictly on the hole and trys to imagine it without any trees or bunkers and just focuses on his target. Thats what I try to think about. I try to forget about the competition and the obstacles and just focus on where I want the ball to land. I have this problem that if I think about the pond, I go in the pond!!

In The Bag

Driver R7 SuperQuad 8.5 Xstiff
5 Wd SQ X stiff steel
3-PW RAC LT X stiff 52 dg RAC TP Satin56 dg RAC TP Satin60 dg Vokey Oil CanPutter Cameron Studio Newport

Have you ever seen "the greatest game ever played" ? The golfer focuses strictly on the hole and trys to imagine it without any trees or bunkers and just focuses on his target. Thats what I try to think about. I try to forget about the competition and the obstacles and just focus on where I want the ball to land. I have this problem that if I think about the pond, I go in the pond!!

I think that's kind of what I'm doing when i'm just thinking about keeping the back of my left hand moving toward the target. I realized a while ago the more I worry about a hazard the more likely i'll be to hit it there.

In The Bag
SQ 5000 10.5

SQ Sumo 3 wood
MP-32 3-PWGolden Bear Gap Wedge SV Sand Wedge MP T Lob WedgeYes Golf Callie Putter

I think that's kind of what I'm doing when i'm just thinking about keeping the back of my left hand moving toward the target. I realized a while ago the more I worry about a hazard the more likely i'll be to hit it there.

Yeah. I used to think about the hazards too much. If there was ob left I'd think "don't go left. don't go left" and then I'd block one into the trees on the right. Same with ponds. Think "don't chunk it" then I blade it into the pond. Now I try to forget the hazard is there and concentrate on where the ball is going to land. It really doesn't matter what the ball flys over on it's way to the green! if only it always worked that way

In The Bag

Driver R7 SuperQuad 8.5 Xstiff
5 Wd SQ X stiff steel
3-PW RAC LT X stiff 52 dg RAC TP Satin56 dg RAC TP Satin60 dg Vokey Oil CanPutter Cameron Studio Newport

I take one, maybe two practice swings. Right before I begin my take-away, I think "Get in the hole" reguardless of how far away I am.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Right before takeaway I tell myself "Stay Connected". By saying that, I'm really telling myself two things: 1) Don't let your lower body outrace your upper body, and 2) Maintain the linkage between your hands, arms, and chest/shoulders.

All the mental stuff about hazards comes before I set up for the shot. I'll stand behind the ball and figure out where I need to hit the ball, and under a worst-case scenario, where I can miss and be ok. Even the miss scenario seems positive to me because I know it's not the end of the world if it happens.

What's in the bag?

Driver: r7 425, 9.5*, ReAx 65 S
Hybrid: FT, 14*, Aldila NV Hybrid 85 S 350
Hybrid: 585H, 21*, Aldila NV Hybrid 85 SIrons: MP 57, 3-PW, DGS300Wedges: CG10, 54, 58Putter: White Hot #4Ball: ProV1x

Drives - "low and slow"
irons - "swing through and finish"
putts - "finish to the hole"

Da Bag:

TM Super Quad R7 (w/Stulz stiff shaft)
TM CGB R7 4-PW (steel)
Cleveland Halo 1i, 3i, 5i (steel)Cleveland CG10 SW, GWHeavy Putter A1MTitliest ProV1xTitliest Tour BagClub Glove head coversFootjoy Classic Dry Premier

• Administrator
Ok so you've lined up your shot whether it's off the tee or in the fairway...etc.

Sometimes nothing (i.e. I'm just holding onto the visual I just had or a "feeling"), sometimes it's one swing thought. NEVER more. The swing thought varies depending on what's working that day and/or what kind of shot I'm trying. Sometimes, again, I don't even have a swing thought.

There's an inverse relationship between the number of thoughts a golfer has over the ball and the quality of the resulting shot.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

All i think when im shooting is "Make good contact" and also "Swing back straight"
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Tempo 1,2,3,4

and to keep my weight back.

907D2 9.5º Proforce V2 85 Stiff
904F 15º stiff Speeder Shaft
735.CM Chrome 2-P
Spin-Milled Vokeys Tour Chrome 54.10/60.04
Studio Style Newport 2.5 Black X66 Stand Bag Pro V1

On approach shots my only thought is the distance. So my only thought for a 170 yard shot is "hit it 170". On drives I have no swing thought. I saw a great interview with Freddie Couples during his prime. He had no swing thoughts at all.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

sometimes the best thing is to have no thoughts at all. I tell my friend not to think about anything when he is driving and he cranks it straight down the middle. I personally have never tried that.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I agree with the no thoughts theory. I always take that deep cleansing breath and THINK POSITIVE. It doesn't always happen though.
In my bag:
Driver : 905R 9.5*
3 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 15*
5 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 19*
Irons : 755Wedges: Vokey 50* Wedges: 588 DSG 56* Putter: 2 Ball Lined Blade 35Ball : ProV1

I agree with the no thoughts theory. I always take that deep cleansing breath and THINK POSITIVE. It doesn't always happen though.

Yeah Raymond Floyd is a HUGE believer in the think positive frame of mind.

In The Bag
SQ 5000 10.5

SQ Sumo 3 wood

Well it was like Corey Pavin said, you cannot get up to a hit over water and think "Don't hit it in the water". You have just made two negatives in the same thought. The first is "Don't" and the second is "water". You need to clear your mind and tell yourself that you are going to "hit it on the green." Commit to your shot and hit it.
In my bag:
Driver : 905R 9.5*
3 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 15*
5 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 19*
Irons : 755Wedges: Vokey 50* Wedges: 588 DSG 56* Putter: 2 Ball Lined Blade 35Ball : ProV1

It's usually something simple that I've been working on... "no tension", "full turn"... something like that. My main point of concentration is my target, not my swing.

Titleist 907D1 10.5°
Titleist 906F4 15.5°
Titleist 906F4 18.5°
Wilson Staff Pi5 3-P
Titleist Vokey 56.14Cleveland CG12 60°Scotty Cameron Newport Two

Note: This thread is 4070 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!