IGNORED

Simple, Specific, Slow, Short, and Success - The Five "S"s of Great Practice

iacas

I do a decent amount of Evolvr's telling student to make slow, 20% speed swings on the piece they're working on.  See so many fast paced practice swings while they're trying change a motion they've been doing for years.

On the forums or on the range you'l hear, "I tried this, it didn't work, so I'm not doing it anymore".  Or my favorite, "It feels weird".  Well of course it does!  Anything you do that takes you out of your comfort zone should feel different so you know you're doing it right.

Thought I'd read through this thread again and the bit in bold really stood out. Although I've slowed down my practice, I still had no idea how slow I need to make it! Great bit of advice, will try it tomorrow and keep you posted.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thought I'd read through this thread again and the bit in bold really stood out. Although I've slowed down my practice, I still had no idea how slow I need to make it! Great bit of advice, will try it tomorrow and keep you posted.

Slow enough so you are doing the piece correctly on video.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 2 weeks later...

This thread is really good for a beginner.  The slower backswing I have...even an exaggerated backswing where I think (man this is slow!) the better I feel and am able to control my swing.  It's much easier to feel when things are going wrong, and you can simply go back to address and start over.  It's also easier to capture successes/failures on camera and see them immediately at the range instead of waiting until you get home to slow them down on a PC.

The slower pace also helps keep me calm and loose, where when you're going 80-100%, it's more stressful as you're trying to cram so many thoughts into a swing that takes less than two seconds.  Sometimes I find myself so tense that my body refuses to move in the way I want it to.  Calming down and going slower frees up my muscles and they're more willing to cooperate.

• Upvote 1

:adams:  XTD Ti Driver 12* Stiff flex

:adams:  XTD Ti 4H 23* Stiff flex

:ping:  G10 4-W +1" Stiff flex

:odyssey:  White Hot Pro Havok 35"

• 1 month later...

Is there any scientific evidence that backs this method of practice? I assume the purpose of this type of practice is to ingrain the proper swing. I was just watching something today about how things get mapped into our brains through neural plasticity and strengthening of synaptic connectivity. 

Doug

(edited)

Is there any scientific evidence that backs this method of practice? I assume the purpose of this type of practice is to ingrain the proper swing. I was just watching something today about how things get mapped into our brains through neural plasticity and strengthening of synaptic connectivity. 

The evidence is the data (strokes gained, Marke Broadie, Lowest Score Wins) that supports how important the long game/full swing mechanics are to determining handicap and lowering scores.

It's also just how good players practice.

53e7b957_handicap.001.thumb.jpeg.88c085e

Edited by mvmac

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• Administrator

Yes. That's precisely the type of stuff that's at play. You're still "myelinating" at slower speeds, AND you're hitting a golf ball. I am not a huge fan of "mapping" except to find feels.

I think @mvmac confused this with the 65/20/15 thread. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I did not mean mapping in the sense used here on this forum but it was the only word I could think of to mean motor leaning being programmed into our brains. 

Has it ever been discussed here about cognitive neural science and motor learning the golf swing? Or do you know any other resources that discuss this.

Doug

• Administrator

I did not mean mapping in the sense used here on this forum but it was the only word I could think of to mean motor leaning being programmed into our brains. 

Has it ever been discussed here about cognitive neural science and motor learning the golf swing? Or do you know any other resources that discuss this.

In depth? No. That's IMO something for instructors to worry about more than anything and to help make sure their students know how to practice.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

(edited)

I think @mvmac confused this with the 65/20/15 thread. :-)

Yes I did :-D

Edited by mvmac

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 1 month later...
On December 6, 2015 at 9:33 PM, iacas said:

Find a way to get better at the 5S of Effective Practice. The trick there is to find a way to enjoy doing it that way. Take more breaks. Mix things up more frequently. Have a good practice session every time. 

(quote is from another thread)

After doing the same, pointless, see how far I can hit a few while duffing a bunch of others type of "practice" tonight, I think I reached a breaking point. Making minimal progress should not be this hard.

I decided to try in ernest to learn effective practicing. Nothing else has worked in the last few years.

So I went back outside and did a couple preset weight forward drills for about 20 mins. I started to make wider turns but backed off when I stopped making clean contact. I've got to remember this is a marathon not a sprint. Besides, I have all winter.

There wasn't any desire to make full swings and it felt like a legitimate practice session afterwards.

I'll review some more weight forward drills and see if I can practice like this every night. I just want to get back to taking easy, controlled swings and making the kind of clean contact that only comes from doing a few of these things right.

Jon

• 6 months later...

Thanks for this thread- went to a lesson and several things had to change (bad habits crept in) was overwhelming but with a list of things to do, and applying these Ss, I can make the changes over time and in sequence (with a bit of time and work).

D: Ping G25 Stock S Shaft
3W: Titleist 915F 16.5* Diamana S70 Blue Stiff
3H, 4H: Callaway XR Project X LZ 6.0
5i-PW: Mizuno MP54 Project X 5.5 Shafts
52*, 58*: Mizuno JPX Wedge TT Dynalite Gold AP
Putter: Mizuno MP A306

This is brilliant guys well put together, at my range in scotland I get some right funny looks from people when I practice I just do quarter swings then slowly build up to half a swing I never go further. Being a 24 handicap and pretty new to golf I find that if I rush to much I lose everything the range has mirrors behind each bay so I always look at my swing.

I have more an issue with compressing the ball always end up with more loft than I really need to but I'll work on it.

• 3 weeks later...
On December 24, 2011 at 7:48 AM, iacas said:

If I knew someone who could print up wristbands - those little rubber ones or something - I'd seriously consider making these and selling them at cost. Simple • Specific • Slow • Short • Success .

Maybe a bag tag.

I know this is almost 5 years old, but did you ever get around to this? I'd I've to hang one of these on my bag.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, freshmanUTA said:

I know this is almost 5 years old, but did you ever get around to this? I'd I've to hang one of these on my bag.

No. But it's still a good idea. Now I'm off to look at who can make rubber wrist bands. :-)

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all,

I was going through a tough time just getting a good motion of a swing not really putting in the slow swings etc that you guys are doing at the range, more just hitting balls.

Well after reading through this post (not it all) but its given me hope that I can swing well and its been a good few weeks I've seen my handicap come from 24 to 22 just by applying this type of routine so big kudos to you all.

One question I take it that its the same swing motion with the driver?

• 1 month later...

From a Hank Haney spam email. I trimmed off the sales pitch for the training gadget they are pushing. ;-)

You’re probably familiar with the "Why can't I take it from the range to the course?" feeling.

Hitting fifty drives on the range is very different from playing a round with the variety and nuances of each hole.

Deliberate practice — where you focus on just one or two things to improve — is the most effective type of practice.

- Shane

• 3 months later...

Reading this thread for the first time and there is some really good stuff in here.  I think it is worth resurrecting for a couple reasons.  One, for my own benefit.  I suffer from the same practice routine over and over and don't focus on specific ways to get better.  Funny thing is that my range sessions normally go very well but I can't take it to the course.  I read somewhere else that a good habit is that if things are going well like that you should not beat 10-12 balls with the same irons over and over but mix it up as you go along.  Play a few holes on the range. You don't hit 15 7-irons in a row (unless you are Roy McAvoy), so why practice that way.  Try and hit cuts and then draws.  Flight the ball a bit differently.

The second reason is for just for everyone else to re-evaluate and maximize your practice.  I know I need to do it.  One of the best range sessions I had this year was when I did nothing but hit 60-70% punch irons and worked on swing path.  I had issues coming over the top a bit and letting my hands get ahead of me.  I didn't know it at the time but I was working through all the 5 S's Erik mentioned.  My only failure was not to repeat that success on the range.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

• 1 month later...