IGNORED

Smart Phone GPS Now Not Allowed?

iacas
Note: This thread is 3382 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A note written by a senior member of the USGA.

On the “Multi-functional device" side of the flowchart, it delineates between the functionality of the device and the functionality of the actual distance-measuring application. It may sound like semantics, but you have to remember that the term "multi-functional device", extends beyond smartphones. This is accomplished in the flowchart by asking two questions:

1) “Is the distance-measuring application capable of measuring conditions or providing information other than distance (e.g. wind speed, temperature… ?”. If the distance-measuring application isn’t capable of measuring or providing any other information, then…

2) “Does the device contain other applications or features that, if referenced at any time during the round, might assist the player in his play… ?”

Therefore, if the actual distance-measuring app , provides slope, wind speed, temperature, etc., the device, as a DMD, doesn’t conform with the Rules, because the app itself doesn’t comply…. go directly to jail, do not pass Go and do not collect $200!! However, if the distance-measuring app does comply, i.e., only measures distance, then the player may use the device provided none of the "non-compliant” apps are accessed during the round.

Essentially, we’re trying to protect players (i.e., not trap them), who use smartphones as DMDs and the phone has other apps installed which may be a breach of the Rules. Provided the player doesn’t access those other apps… no harm, no foul.

Essentially, we’re trying to protect players (i.e., not trap them), who use smartphones as DMDs and the phone has other apps installed which may be a breach of the Rules. Provided the player doesn’t access those other apps… no harm, no foul.

Which is exactly what some of us argued for back when this first came up as an issue.

What is really strange is the USGA's inability to clearly articulate a position that everyone understands.  Look at the confusion still existing.  And as smartphones are far and away the largest class of "multi-function" devices, is it unreasonable that they make rules specifically for them, instead of confusing things by trying to come up with some universal rule for all devices?  Like how about a series of examples of device/app/practice combinations that do and do not meet the rules.  By seeing examples of what is OK and what is not I think we would get a far better understanding.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Maybe the problem the rules bodies have is the changing capabilities of smart phones. It's hard to make a rule that can keep up with or anticipate what they would have to offer. I like the "no harm, no foul" stance.

Okay that was back in 1/25/12. Fast forward three years what is the current ruling on "Smart phones"?

Here is the USGA flow-chart on DMDs.

Nothing has changed, really.  The flow chart I believe is the exact same as it was a couple years back.  It's still somewhat dubious, and I think intentionally so.  I could make the argument that my smartphone is legally being used when I play, but I know if I was in any serious tournament, I wouldn't use it due to the possibility of it being questioned and having a ruling go against me.  I do believe the "spirit" of the rule is to disallow any phones that have non-conforming capabilities, which most do.

Edit: I just saw Rulesman's post, which appears to shed some light on this issue.  So I could be wrong with my take on the "spirit" of the wording.  It just seems to me like they could have been more clear, but they didn't want to back themselves into a corner as technology changes, and therefore also wanted to discourage the use of devices that fall into a grey area.  Maybe I'm completely wrong.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Note: This thread is 3382 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!