IGNORED

Hybrids.

Note:Β This thread is 3923 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I'll try to make this simple and I know everyone's swing and games are different, but...

When it comes to hybrids, are there brands that are easier to hit or more forgiving?Β  At what point would you want to consider steel shafts?Β  Also, why do I see such discrepancies in distances, i.e. 170-210...

I can find reviews on specific models and will eventually hit some, but would like to have a good place to start my search.

Happy New Year.

robinoso,

Check out the latest Golf Digest Hot List to get an idea on forgiveness.

For me, I found that a hybrid that matched the swing weight and overall feel of my longer irons worked best. Β If the hybrid was much lighter feeling than my 4-iron, I tended to get too fast in my swing. Β My current hybrid, Titleist 910H, 21 deg, is a very good hybrid for me. Β It replaces my 3-iron. Β Also, check a bunch out. Β Bring your longest iron with you as a comparison. Β Have the shop check the distances you get compared to the iron as well.

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I can only tell you that I had Adams A4 series hybrids & they are a unique shape & not tear drop shaped like a traditional hybrid - with a slightly fat shot, the ball would shoot off to the right - consistently.Β Β Β  Seemed like the club momentarily rotated in my gripΒ instead of staying true.Β Β Β  I switched to a Wilson Fybrid upon several recommendations & it's so much easier to hit reliably (no matter what the club, slightly fat shots never go far, but at least they're straight).

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

In terms of distance, its depends on what loft you have. Hybrids can range from 30deg lofts to 17deg lofts, which are basically around 6 iron through to 2 iron. Obviously a 3 iron hybrid you will (in theory)Β hit further than a 5 iron hybrid. Basically, choose the loft that is equivilant to the iron you want to replace.Β  so if you wanted a 3 iron hybrid go for something around 19 or 20 degree loft.

In terms of forgiving hybrids, of the ones i've hit the Ping G15 was the easiest to launch. The Adam's hybrids alot of people rave about but i've never hit one so i couldnt say. I love my Titleist mind.. abit harder to hit but i do love hitting it.

As far as i am aware, i dont think many manufacturers make hybrids with steel shafts, only graphite. But, i accept i could be wrongon that.

Β 909 D2 10.5ΒΊ S-FlexΒ  Β RBZ 3W 15ΒΊ S-Flex

Β 909h 19ΒΊ S-Flex

Β G15 (4-6) i15 (7-PW)Β Project X RifleΒ 5.5Β Β 52ΒΊ, 56ΒΊ & 58ΒΊ

Β Β California Del Mar 34"Β Β Β Β Β Pro-V1

Β 

"Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic"

Β 

Adams hybrid guy here. I carry two of them and did so for the first time last summer. My change for this year is to reshaft them with KBS hybrid (steel) shafts. The steel will make the clubs act more like what they are replacing, a 3 and a 2 iron. Hit a bunch of them. The one thing about the model I have is they can be hit fat if you are not swinging right.

titleist.gif Titleist 910 D3 - Project X 6.0 7C3 ShaftΒ  |Β  adams.gifΒ Adams XTD Super Hybrid - 15 degrees Β 
adams.gifΒ Adams Idea Pro A12 Hybrid - 18 degreesΒ 
Adams CB2 - KBS Tour Shafts - 4 - PW
vokey.gif Vokey 54.10 Oil CanΒ  |Β  vokey.gif Vokey 60.07 Oil CanΒ  |Β  rife.gif Rife Trinidad - SuperStroke

Thanks for the replies guys.Β  I'll be sure to check all of those out and more!

I have a buddy now who is telling me to learn to hit my long irons and I'll be happier further down the road.Β  I'll be happier further down the road and when I can stop hitting the 4/5 like dirt.Β  It's unreal how much different they feel than 6 and down.

If you can find a Nickent I'd go for it. I have two and they are awesome. Paid about 70 buck a piece at a closeout, had to get one reshafted. Easy to hit and very straight.

Yours in earnest,Β Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks:Β :cleveland:Β 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5* Β :tmade:Β RBZ HL 3wΒ Β :nickent:Β 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H Β :callaway:Β X-22 5-AW Β :nike:SV tour 56* SWΒ :mizuno:Β MP-T11 60* LWΒ :bridgestone:Β customized TD-03 putterΒ :tmade:Penta TP3 Β Β :aimpoint:

I use the Razr X hybrids from Callaway. Β I think they are great. Β The shafts, especially, make it really easy to get the ball in the air.

I play hybrids 4-6 irons, and it has really helped my game. Β I used to use the cobra rail-h hybrids, which were OK, but lofted way too strong (4 iron 21*?) to be good - they didn't fit with my iron set.

Anyway, give the Razr X hybrids a try. Β Another really plus is price - you can get them on callway preowned (and know they arn't counterfeit or damaged) for about $55 in average condition. Β Mine were $61 in average condition and play and look great for that price.

I have a Ping G10 3 hybrid (21*) that I love. It has a steel shaft and I like it a lot. I feel like I have more control with it.

In my bag
Burner 10.5* reg
3h & 4-P S57
Wedges: 56* CCI and 60* SV Tour
DF 960

Haven't hit enough of them to give you any info on comparison, but I absolutely love my Titleist 585h 19˚.  I've gotten better with my long irons, but there was a long time when I'd rather hit my 2h than my 3i, 4i, or sometimes even 5i.  In fact, with my old irons I actually took my 3i out of the bag and just choked up and swung my 2h easy if I had to hit 3i distance. Great club.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Originally Posted by robinoso

I'll try to make this simple and I know everyone's swing and games are different, but...

When it comes to hybrids, are there brands that are easier to hit or more forgiving?Β  At what point would you want to consider steel shafts?Β  Also, why do I see such discrepancies in distances, i.e. 170-210...

I can find reviews on specific models and will eventually hit some, but would like to have a good place to start my search.

Happy New Year.

My best advice is go to a nice retail store that has 'pro style' launch monitors and an indoor range where you can put your top Hybrid contenders to the test.Β  They will have a pro on staff to translate the data and you'll know exactly what the ball is doing....IE...launch angle, spin rates, draw and fade%, carry distance, roll, etc, etc.etc.....

After testing your favorites, the best choice will present itself based on solid data.........

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big BerthaΒ Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
-Β CallawayΒ Big BerthaΒ 4-5 Rescue Clubs
--Β Mizuno Mx-25 sixΒ iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I like my Adams a4 boxers. They're pretty forgiving, but not the most so. Toe and heel shots don't generally go very straight. They're easy to swing, though.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Finding the right hybrids was the toughest of all clubs for me.Β  I tried a number of them, Callaway FT Tour, Diablo Edges, Razr X, Titleist 909h, 910h, Adams Pro A12, Nike Sumo II and TM Raylor.Β  Of all of them I ended up hitting the Titleist 910h the best followed by the Adams and Callaway FT Tour.Β  I hit the Razr X's great on the simulator but couldn't hit them on the course, same with the Nike and TM.Β  I was using the Adams 4h but swapped it out for myΒ 4i, and have the Titleist 910's in the bag now.

Joe Paradiso

I went through a few before I settled on the ones that worked for me. Had Cleveland DST and Adams A4. Once I bought the Adams Super Hybrids in 19 and 21, I stopped looking. The things are amazing off the fairway or out of the rough. I dont hit them as well off of the tee, however I over swing on the tee box leaving the face open at impact. ( I know I do it every time yet I still rip it). Id say my 19 is my 220 club and my 21 is my 200 club with a nice, easy tempo swing. The Tour Edge hybrids are very nice also.

Titleist 909D2 Driver, Β  Adams F11 3 wood,Β Β Β  Adams Pro Gold 3 hybrid, Β Β ,

Mizuno JPX 800 Pros w/ KBS Tour stiffΒ  4 - GW,Β Β  Nike VR Pro 54 & 58 Wedges, Nike Method 001 Putter,

Nike 20XI X ball in an Titleist Lightweight stand bag.

Tried a lot of different hybrids until I found the Nickent 4DX. Neutral set up, so not nearly as prone to hooks as many hybrids were for me. Seemed to be a harder to find the "right" one than any other club in the bag.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* :Β Fairway - Ping G30 18* :Β Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* &Β 915 H 24* :Β Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 ForgedΒ 5Β - GW :Β Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 :Β Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio SelectΒ Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-RΒ  :Β Ball - Bridgestone B330RX,Β Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

The consensus seems to be that everyoe loves their hybrids.

I have 2 different generations of Cleveland Launchers andΒ swear byΒ them.

In my bag ... 12 year old Balvenie DoubleWood

Try this.

http://www.intheholegolf.com/TPC/The-Perfect-Club-%2821*%29---Original.html

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Note:Β This thread is 3923 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!