IGNORED

When's your First Round of the Year?

Note: This thread is 3426 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just moved to Hilton Head so my first round of golf was Jan 2 at Trent Jones Golf Club in Palmetto Dunes. It was 70 and sunny! :-D

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted by jhwmusic

Just moved to Hilton Head so my first round of golf was Jan 2 at Trent Jones Golf Club in Palmetto Dunes. It was 70 and sunny!

I used to play there all the time when I lived in Savannah.  My favorite was the Arthur Hills course, but all three courses are great.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by k-troop

I used to play there all the time when I lived in Savannah.  My favorite was the Arthur Hills course, but all three courses are great.

Yeah, I really like Arthur Hills as well...from a layout standpoint.   But it all depends what condition it is in.   Over the years it has been pretty hit or miss.  It gets so much tourist play that sometimes those greens are beat to hell.  Fazio is the same way...and if you think about it there are a bunch of mirror image holes on that course.  I REALLY like Country Club of Hilton Head!...especially since they redid all of their greens...they are smooth as glass right now.  And in typical Rees Jones fashion, the bunkers are everywhere!   Some people don't care for it but I just really like how every hole is either a dogleg right or dogleg left.  You have to have all the shots to score well at CCHH.  Oyster reef (rees jones) is another one of my favs!  I actually live right on the course.  Golden Bear, Palmetto Hall courses are great too!

Usually can't get out around here until mid April but the last couple of years have been heading down to Nova Scotia to start the season with my usual foursome in late March.

Originally Posted by jhwmusic

Oyster reef (rees jones) is another one of my favs!  I actually live right on the course.

We live in the same neighborhood, LOL.

Originally Posted by meenman

Mine was on the 2nd - was too hungover to play on the 1st

Mine was on the 1st, I was too hungover to play on the 1st :)

I played Tustin Ranch here in Orange County on 12/31/11...  Was a shitty round.  Then played on 1/1/12 at Milesquare in Fountain Valley.  Nothing beats the weather we've been having.  Today is was sunny and close to 80F.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Today is Jan 27th..............

I already have 8 rounds +13 holes!!!   This is a career best for me......... and I expect to play both Sat/Sun this weekend!

I live in the Midwest.....not bad, ay?

ha! Nice! I actually just moved down recently but I am splitting time between HH and indiana until my wife starts her new job down there. So I am currently in Indiana right now, where it is snowing. ughh! Hopefully we will be down there full time by March. Though I'll be heading back in two weeks! Can't wait!

Also, Is that profile picture the dreaded #12 at Arthur Hills Palmetto Dunes? That whole is my worst enemy on the island. Not only does it always kick my arse, but one time I was looking for my father in law's ball (he hit it about ten feet off the tee straight left into the trees) and I caught a palm frond right in the eye ball...still finished the round though. But I couldn't see out of that eye for like two weeks...thought I was gonna lose my site. I also stepped down by the water to (looking for my father in laws ball again..he's terrible) and the biggest gator I have EVER seen in my life came out of the water. I almost had a heart attack! I used to see it all the time out there, but I think they took it out of there last year. If you haven't seen him before, this thing had to be 10-12+ feet long and its back was literally 2 feet off the ground...it's head was enormous! I have a picture of it on my old phone. One time I was putting on 9 green and I hear this "clack clack" so I looked over to my left towards that pond and it was crossing the street holding up traffic. My idiot buddy also grabbed its tail at my bachelor party...he's obviously not too bright or sober. :~(

No, it is the 6th hole at Hilton Head National (actually my favorite course that I have played so far).  Usually play at Old South, have yet to play a round on the island.  There are too many golf courses and too little time, LOL.

No, it is the 6th hole at Hilton Head National (actually my favorite course that I have played so far).  Usually play at Old South, have yet to play a round on the island.  There are too many golf courses and too little time, LOL.

Ahh! I have never played Hilton Head National or Old South but I hear great things...Dont you get really good local rates at both of those courses? I still have my Inidana ID but that will soon change once i get back down there. And you are right about the amount of good courses...there is world class golf course every 10 feet. It's heaven on earth!!!

Yes, local rates are around half of the regular rate.  Even in the peak season, I have not paid more than $45 for a round at Old South.  Paid $50 for HH National back in April/May.

If I wanted to prepay for 20 rounds at Old South, it would only cost me $22 per round.  Tempting but I need more variety, LOL.

Wow...that is a really good deal. Oyster reef was only charging around 40 for locals but i think they have ended thaT deal. Tht course is my favorite! Golden bear has a local deal too

Note: This thread is 3426 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!