IGNORED

Hank Haney's Book "The Big Miss" about his time teaching Tiger

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3908 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Which is why publishers usually release them. Rocket science.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Shorty

Which is why publishers usually release them. Rocket science.

TaylorMade just purchased that cliche. It's now officially "Rocketballs Science".

• Upvote 1

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by caniac6

After reading some of the things in Golf Wotld, if I ever took lessons from Hank, I wouldn't use my real name, and I would pay him in cash.

Counterfeit cash.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Anybody see his interview on Sports Center today?  Seemed more like damage control than anything.  It's like it was his way of kissing Tiger's ass a little while pushing his book at the same time.  I am sure they will replay it over and over today

DRIVER Taylormade R11S w/ Tour AD DI-7S 3 WOOD Taylormade R11S RIP Phenom Stiff 16.5 HYBRID Taylormade Rocketballz Tour Stiff IRONS 4-6 iron Taylormade MC w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff IRONS 7-PW Taylormade MB w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff WEDGES Titleist Vokey SM4 Black Nickel 52.12, 56.11, 60.10 PUTTER NIKE METHOD 001 33', Taylormade Ghost Spider 33' BAG ADIDAS AG Tour Stand Bag BALLS TITLEIST PRO-V1X SHOESADIDAS ADIPURE GPS SKYCADDIE SGX

Originally Posted by caniac6

After reading some of the things in Golf Wotld, if I ever took lessons from Hank, I wouldn't use my real name, and I would pay him in cash.

After reading the excerpts... I'm surprised you would even consider taking lessons from him.  He seems like a dweeb.

This is not relate to the book, but I've heard a lot of people say Hank's method of teaching isn't all that great anyway. He's all about the arms, which leads to a lot of timing problems and what not. Is that kind of a general consensus or just a few opinions?

Originally Posted by Chipless

I think it's awesome that Tiger won in strong fashion yesterday, and this book comes out tomorrow.  Nice timing!

Agreed.  Works for all parties both in and out of Tiger and Hanks respective camps.

Originally Posted by Jwat381

This is not relate to the book, but I've heard a lot of people say Hank's method of teaching isn't all that great anyway. He's all about the arms, which leads to a lot of timing problems and what not. Is that kind of a general consensus or just a few opinions?

I'm not a HH fan.  I follow him on Twitter and some of the rubbish he spews with people requesting swing help is insane.  First Twitter limits your response (tweets) to 140 characters.  And there are a lot of golfers who ask HH for free advice.  And he responds with tweets that are so 'point blank' that I think he does more harm than good by even responding.  In my opinion, Twitter should not be used for golf instruction... Even if it is a free medium for these 'followers' of HH.  Unless you're linking a detailed instructional video - stop giving 'free' advice to people Hank.  Because you're most likely hurting their swing, more than helping.

Here is an example of his responses... And I could show hundreds like it:

HH tweet example.png

Originally Posted by jhwmusic

Anybody see his interview on Sports Center today?  Seemed more like damage control than anything.  It's like it was his way of kissing Tiger's ass a little while pushing his book at the same time.  I am sure they will replay it over and over today

I didn't see that but I saw him on Mike & Mike this morning and he looked very uncomfortable defending himself.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Originally Posted by Jwat381

The method is a pile of exaggerations with the instructor saying nothing - pushing you into positions, and then, "swing as fast as you can to right field!"

Or the standard, turn the knuckles on the back of your left wrist down to the ground at impact.

Because there is a lack of discussion, instructors don't really give you the why or have time for basics. For years, my arms were not attached to my body during the backswing, and flying elbows were all over the place. It was Furyk-ish. When your arms are in midair attached to nothing, what do you expect? They'd put me on video and I'd say, "that hideous, fix it." They could not fix it! They did not know how to give instruction. They would not talk, they would not correct basics. And this is from some of his top instructors! They concentrated on his method. When you'd ask about other techniques, they'd look like a deer in headlights. Apparently, they did not look at other methods.

When I left them, I went to the Hardy guy that teaches Kuchar, Chris O'Connel - nice guy but once again, not great on basics, but concentrated on the method.

Left that, went to TGM Guy - he finally talked about basics that work. After that, elements of S&T; were a natural progression. Light at end of tunnel approaching...

__

Stories on Haney is that he is cheap - Tiger and he have that in common. He would make his instructors put down sod on his ranges and golf course at no pay. He would be on the tractor making his own course. Heard stories about him reaming out his top people managing his ranges - rages, really, from what was said.

Not a nice guy behind the scenes. Nice, demanding guy to students.

He may have changed over the years and softened up a bit with success. Don't know. I think the show with Barkley told you everything about his ability to fix mid to high handicap swings - it's not great. He is good at bringing good players up. But I've heard lots of complaints about him screwing so much with their game they left (turning scratch golfers into near double digit hc in some instances from "stories" I heard) - because he wanted them to use his method. These golfers wanted to change what was wrong -- not a new swing. Heck, every time I went into a golf store and mentioned I was going to Haney, I'd hear another horror story.

He is great at telling you what is wrong with your swing - great eye - I think that is how Tiger used him at first. When Haney found he was getting the blame for Tiger not winning, he started putting in more than what he saw - he began suggesting changes.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

That's interesting, thanks. I was hoping to hear from someone who worked with him in some way, so that pretty much answers my question.

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

The method is a pile of exaggerations with the instructor saying nothing - pushing you into positions, and then, "swing as fast as you can to right field!"

Or the standard, turn the knuckles on the back of your left wrist down to the ground at impact.

Because there is a lack of discussion, instructors don't really give you the why or have time for basics. For years, my arms were not attached to my body during the backswing, and flying elbows were all over the place. It was Furyk-ish. When your arms are in midair attached to nothing, what do you expect? They'd put me on video and I'd say, "that hideous, fix it." They could not fix it! They did not know how to give instruction. They would not talk, they would not correct basics. And this is from some of his top instructors! They concentrated on his method. When you'd ask about other techniques, they'd look like a deer in headlights. Apparently, they did not look at other methods.

When I left them, I went to the Hardy guy that teaches Kuchar, Chris O'Connel - nice guy but once again, not great on basics, but concentrated on the method.

Left that, went to TGM Guy - he finally talked about basics that work. After that, elements of S&T; were a natural progression. Light at end of tunnel approaching...

__

Stories on Haney is that he is cheap - Tiger and he have that in common. He would make his instructors put down sod on his ranges and golf course at no pay. He would be on the tractor making his own course. Heard stories about him reaming out his top people managing his ranges - rages, really, from what was said.

He may have changed over the years and softened up a bit with success. Don't know. I think the show with Barkley told you everything about his ability to fix mid to high handicap swings - it's not great. He is good at bringing good players up. But I've heard lots of complaints about him screwing so much with their game they left (turning scratch golfers into near double digit hc in some instances from "stories" I heard) - because he wanted them to use his method. These golfers wanted to change what was wrong -- not a new swing. Heck, every time I went into a golf store and mentioned I was going to Haney, I'd hear another horror story.

He is great at telling you what is wrong with your swing - great eye - I think that is how Tiger used him at first. When Haney found he was getting the blame for Tiger not winning, he started putting in more than what he saw - he began suggesting changes.

Quote:

__

That is why I can't stand Hank Haney or his method of teaching...it is his way or the highway.  Some people's bodies aren't capable of getting into those positions...or their bodies lean towards a different method.  I am a fan of the athletic approach...see what the student is capable of and adapt to the student...don't make the student adapt to your narrow minded approach.  Larry Bird shot the ball from over his head...do think anyone was telling him he should bring that ball down closer to his ear?   There isn't one only approach or method to anything that is athletic or in sport...everyone is different.

DRIVER Taylormade R11S w/ Tour AD DI-7S 3 WOOD Taylormade R11S RIP Phenom Stiff 16.5 HYBRID Taylormade Rocketballz Tour Stiff IRONS 4-6 iron Taylormade MC w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff IRONS 7-PW Taylormade MB w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff WEDGES Titleist Vokey SM4 Black Nickel 52.12, 56.11, 60.10 PUTTER NIKE METHOD 001 33', Taylormade Ghost Spider 33' BAG ADIDAS AG Tour Stand Bag BALLS TITLEIST PRO-V1X SHOESADIDAS ADIPURE GPS SKYCADDIE SGX

Has anyone that has read the book found anything that Hank shouldnt have said?

I am in the 5th chapter and the most damning thing I see is that Hank never got offered a popsicle.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

I am in the 5th chapter and the most damning thing I see is that Hank never got offered a popsicle.

Wait till you get to the part where Hank used wire hangers to hang up his clothes.

Note: This thread is 3908 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!