IGNORED

Why are there so many push cart haters?

Note: This thread is 2861 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Private trolleys, either push or pull, two or 3 wheeled things are forbidden at my course. All must use company provided gear. Battery powered available for extra cost. Non  powered free of charge. But you can't bring yours.

Originally Posted by joekelly

Private trolleys, either push or pull, two or 3 wheeled things are forbidden at my course. All must use company provided gear. Battery powered available for extra cost. Non  powered free of charge. But you can't bring yours.

You're not allowed to use your own trolley? Why not?

I still have a pull cart from the early 90's...used it every weekend when I played 9 holes back then.  Nowadays I only play 18 so I have been using the motorized cart.  I am considering getting a really nice push cart though, I'm sure it will pay for itself after a few uses.

I'll chime in on this old revived thread......

I have a really nice push cart that wasn't cheap.  I really thought I'd love it after having an old 90's pull cart.  On absolutely flat courses without elevated greens it was OK.  But the fact of the matter is that after 18 holes I really got sick of pushing it.  It didn't tire me or anything but I began to notice that I had to keep my arms elevated and in front of me the entire time I pushed it.  Not a natural way to walk.

BUT....I rarely play a flat course.  Most of my courses are hilly and some have pretty intense elevation changes.  I found that pushing it up steep hills I was working my legs, arms and shoulders more than I ever remembered with my old cheap pull cart.  And holding it back on down hills was a pain too.

I went out an bought a nice stand bag with double shoulder straps.  Set it up for good balance and had the back set in the small of my back....Having backpacked the Rockies many times this just felt natural and light.  I hit the hilly courses and it was a piece of cake.  Only my large muscles(quads) were worked with zero fatigue on arms and shoulders.  If the stand back is set up right I find it way easier than my push cart and up and down hills are a breeze.  I carry all 14 clubs and no extras.  Just tees, a sleeve of balls with a 4th in my pocket and that's its.  Ball marker, repair tool and score card are in my pants pockets.

My choice isn't ego driven either, it's experience based and this works and feels best for me.

As far as the motorized carts, my dad had one.  Jeez....damn near throw your back out just lifting that heavy beast out of the trunk.  He used it less than a season and couldn't wait to get rid of it.

I guess if you play flat golf push/pull carts are OK, but throw the hills in and I have no use for it.  I will admit that I break it out when only when I play with my dogs.  I set the brake and hook them to the push cart for shots and putting.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by joekelly

I'm sorry, but that's just nuts.  Talk about making one pay for something that you don't want or need.  Virtually everyone I know who walks has a good 3 wheeler, and to be told that he has to pay for the use of the same thing just because it's another way to extract more money from the player is untenable.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

interesting tidbit - theres a few studies out there that you can find research on that proves that pushing a cart burns as many calories as carrying.

Colin P.

Originally Posted by colin007

interesting tidbit - theres a few studies out there that you can find research on that proves that pushing a cart burns as many calories as carrying.

Very true.  I researched this last year when I picked up golf seriously and started playing 3-4 rounds / week instead of my usual gym regiment.  I was curious to why I wasnt putting the weight back on.  I was pleased to find that you actually burn a decent amount of calories playing 18, even riding in a cart.  And when I started to walk is when I read that you actually burn upwards of 1000+ (depending on the person).  I carried all of last year and am currently thinking about purchasing a push cart.

I actually dropped more weight walking 18 than my 4 day a week cardio and light resistance training in a gym.  That even hooked me more on golf because I HATE the gym.  Boring.  I'd rather play golf.  HAHA.

Driver:  Cleveland Launcher DST 10.5* Stiff

3 Hybrid:  Taylor Made RBZ 19* Regular

4 Hybrid:  Golden Bear 4H Stiff

Irons:  4-G Titleist AP1 710 Nippon 105T Stiff

Wedges:  Cleveland CG16 52* & 56*

Putter:  PING Anser

There's always the next shot.

Originally Posted by Fourputt

I'm sorry, but that's just nuts.  Talk about making one pay for something that you don't want or need.  Virtually everyone I know who walks has a good 3 wheeler, and to be told that he has to pay for the use of the same thing just because it's another way to extract more money from the player is untenable.

It is nuts.  I was told by our pro that some of the members had really old and ugly push/pull carts and they didn't want the starter getting into arguments with members about the look or condition of their carts so they just banned all members from using their own.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by newtogolf

It is nuts.  I was told by our pro that some of the members had really old and ugly push/pull carts and they didn't want the starter getting into arguments with members about the look or condition of their carts so they just banned all members from using their own.

Jebus. Imagine if they started applying the same criteria to swings!

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

I play with a group that refuses to take a powercart when they play golf.  We would rather not play a course than to be forced to take a riding cart.  One of our guys in the group uses a push cart and don't feel any differernt towards him at all.  As long as he's walking and playing golf the way it was originally meant to be it's cool with us.

Originally Posted by flintcreek6412

Most of my courses are hilly and some have pretty intense elevation changes.  I found that pushing it up steep hills I was working my legs, arms and shoulders more than I ever remembered with my old cheap pull cart.  And holding it back on down hills was a pain too.

I have always carried quite a bit.  Recently I have thought about getting one of those 3-wheelers.  It never occurred to me that going up and down hills might actually involve more work.  Before I run out and buy a 3-wheeler I may try to "test drive" one at a course that rents them.  Thanks for the advice.

Brian Kuehn

Originally Posted by bkuehn1952

I have always carried quite a bit.  Recently I have thought about getting one of those 3-wheelers.  It never occurred to me that going up and down hills might actually involve more work.  Before I run out and buy a 3-wheeler I may try to "test drive" one at a course that rents them.  Thanks for the advice.

its no more work than carrying.

Colin P.

I went to the course down the street today to putt at lunch and a mini staff golfbag comes whizzing by me unattended. Then I see an older golfer with the remote control. I was thinking this guy has all the toys!

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Concerning push vs. pull carts, for me the only advantage of a two wheel pull cart is that you can fold it up with the bag still on it, so that makes for a faster set-up and take-down. The push cart is easier for walking the course IMO except on very steep up-hills, and although no one seems to mention it, being able to walk under an open umbrella on hot sunny days is enough reason for me to prefer the push cart. It is also more convenient for balls, range-finder, water than most pull carts I have seen.

Leftyg. Being able to walk the course in the rain without getting wet is a great feature. I actually prefer to play in the rain now. While everone runs off the course i can play on and get the course all to myself.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

I carry and have a push cart. I don't mind carrying in the spring and fall when temps are cooler and the humidity is down. I bring the push cart out for hot summer months though. I like my shoulders and back to stay as relaxed as possible and when it's really hot and I carry I tend to get tired and tense. In reference to the OP, I have a good number of buddies who give me crap for having a cart. I've never understood it.

I never really cared for push/pull carts. I always carried my bags unless it was the hottest of days in which case I'd ride. My shoulder started bothering me a good amount mid last year while carrying and it got me thinking about picking up a push cart. I haven't yet, but will probably pick one up this year to lessen any shoulder pain.

In the Ogio Chamber Cart Bag w/ Ogio X4 Synergy Push Cart: Driver: Adams Super LS 7.5* w/ Harrison Striper H2 60x Fairway: Adams Tight Lies 16* Fairway Wood w/ Harrison Mugen Black 70x Irons: Adams Idea Pro Black CB1 Irons w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (3-PW) Wedges: Yururi Raw Gekku w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (53, 57, & 61) Putter: Never Compromise Gambler Straight Ball: Srixon Z-Star/Z-Star XV Tour Yellow GPS: Garmin Approach G6 Shoes: True Linkswear

Note: This thread is 2861 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!