IGNORED

Why are there so many push cart haters?

Note: This thread is 2882 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by AbsoluteZero

I recently asked a few golfing friends of mine about whether or not they have a push cart and what recomendations they had. I couldn't believe the ridicule and jokes made at my expense for wanting to get a new push cart.  Tons of comments questioning my manhood and making fun of me being an old guy (I'm 32).  I really don't understand this. I can think of a lot of reasons to use a push cart, and honestly I don't fully understand why anyone would EVER carry their bag.  For instance:

Pros don't carry their bags, why should I?

Carrying your bag is hard on your shoulders and back (which is very important for golf)

Carrying makes you watch the bag weight more closely and therefor have less stuff on you

Pushing allows you to walk (exercise)

Pushing is cheaper than paying for a cart

Pushing is more environmentally friendly than riding in a cart

I think the push cart companies should take a serious look at this bizarre attitude.  I mean if all these golfers some how think it's lame to carry, why not try and change the attitude.

For instance if I were ClicGear the front page of my site would say "5 Reasons not to carry your bag" and I'd point to some study (that I would pay for it necessary) that showed how people who don't carry, save strokes and have more energy.  I would also team up with the USGA and try and get carts allowed in all tournaments.  I mean the point of golf is to see who can get the ball into the hole fast enough, not to prove who can carry their bag around the course.

I don't honestly care what other people think about me, and I actually think it's nuts to carry your bag around if you don't have to.  However, I find it interesting that I seem to be in the minority.

So if you hate push carts, can you explain why?  Can you tell me why you believe I'm less of a golfer for using one?  Perhaps I don't fully understand the reasons behind those who don't like push carts.

I'm not a push cart hater but I do see a lot of seniors or ladies struggling when they have to push their cart up a hill. The handlebars become eye level and it takes some muscle pushing the cart uphill. When I see this, I always suggest to them to turn it around and pull the cart up. It's a lot easier.

I have a push cart from Golfsmith had a gift card, mine you can adjust the handle up or down so it is not to bad. I just dont like having to put it on and take it off, but I know a lot of others that like to carry. It is just a personal thing I guess but never ran into any one that cared on way or the other.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

I carried for years, but then had 3 different surgeries, one on my foot, and one for each shoulder, and since then I have used a push cart.  I play with a lot of different people, and some of them carry, and some use a push or pull cart.  I really don't give it a second thought, and have never heard any negative comments about using one.

Driver: Callaway RAZR Fit 9.5* , Aldila RIP’d stiff shaft (60g).

Ping G10 15* Hybrid
Callaway Heavan Wood 19* Hybrid
Putter: T-Line XXIV Tommy Armour

Ping i/3 Irons green dot
Cleveland 60* Lob wedge, Ping 56* Sand wedge, Nike SV Tour Black Satin 52* wedge, Ping 48* wedge.

Ball: TaylorMade

• 3 months later...

I both carry and have a click gear.  I find it easier climbing hills when carrying than when pushing the cart, and prefer to carry.  However, like others, I am in love with my umbrella holder, and will take the Click Gear on days that there is a chance of rain.  Also, on sunny, hot & humid days I will use it with the umbrella up for shade from the sun's rays.  How many times have you laid your umbrella down to take a shot, a breeze comes up, and you are chasing it down the fairway?  That doesn't happen when your umbrella is nicely secured in it's holder.

That said, I just ordered a Konex battery powered trolley with remote control so I can stroll leisurely.  Then I'll have all bases covered.

At my club all options are employed, and nobody cares what anyone else is walking with, or riding in.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If I walk, I carry my clubs. The bag isn't heavy to me, even with a full load of golf balls and 14 clubs. I don't have a problem with people using a pull/push cart, and I've even gave one a shot myself, but it didn't save me any energy. I also was more of a hassle in some instance as opposed to just sitting down my stand bag.. I have a "bad back" *broken back from car accident at 18, rods and pins etc* though most times it gives me no problems on the course unless I aggravated it in some way before golfing. It is also better exercise to carry the bag and I think the strengthening it does is beneficial to my swing anyway.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Just an observation - maybe my own experience may be skewed, but in the US, when you watch amateur tournaments, most people carry. In UK, Europe, more people use a pushcart/buggy. Anyone else notice this?

afaik, pushcart, carry, as long as you keep pace, doesn't make a difference to me.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Same here. Juniors and competitive ams carry, everyone else has a push cart or takes a caddie. You don't ride unless you're 60+ and/or genuinely infirm.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I never seem to play golf with anyone who feels strongly either way when it comes to what other players do.

well, keep on reading the threads here

Bill - 

• 4 weeks later...
Originally Posted by AbsoluteZero

I recently asked a few golfing friends of mine about whether or not they have a push cart and what recomendations they had. I couldn't believe the ridicule and jokes made at my expense for wanting to get a new push cart.  Tons of comments questioning my manhood and making fun of me being an old guy (I'm 32).  I really don't understand this. I can think of a lot of reasons to use a push cart, and honestly I don't fully understand why anyone would EVER carry their bag.  For instance:

Pros don't carry their bags, why should I?

Carrying your bag is hard on your shoulders and back (which is very important for golf)

Carrying makes you watch the bag weight more closely and therefor have less stuff on you

Pushing allows you to walk (exercise)

Pushing is cheaper than paying for a cart

Pushing is more environmentally friendly than riding in a cart

I think the push cart companies should take a serious look at this bizarre attitude.  I mean if all these golfers some how think it's lame to carry, why not try and change the attitude.

For instance if I were ClicGear the front page of my site would say "5 Reasons not to carry your bag" and I'd point to some study (that I would pay for it necessary) that showed how people who don't carry, save strokes and have more energy.  I would also team up with the USGA and try and get carts allowed in all tournaments.  I mean the point of golf is to see who can get the ball into the hole fast enough, not to prove who can carry their bag around the course.

I don't honestly care what other people think about me, and I actually think it's nuts to carry your bag around if you don't have to.  However, I find it interesting that I seem to be in the minority.

So if you hate push carts, can you explain why?  Can you tell me why you believe I'm less of a golfer for using one?  Perhaps I don't fully understand the reasons behind those who don't like push carts.

I have used a pull cart for years - mainly because I had one (got it from someone else for free) and because I didn't want to spend $ buying a nice carry bag.

As I've gotten older, I notice that pulling the cart (always with my right arm) tends to make my shoulder hurt, so I've been thinking about getting a pushcart.  Also, the new pushcarts seem to have the same amenities that a riding cart has (Shade - with an umbrella holder;  place to hold a drink without spilling;  scorecard holder;  GPS/phone holder - all within easy reach & without a lot  of digging around).  So eventually I'll get a clicgear or Sun Mountain microcart.

If you were playing in the UK, you'd probably be in the minority if you didn't use a cart (or "trolley") - at least that's my impression.

Well i think 90+% at the club i play use carts so I don't see why some make comments about it.

Sure you could say fitness some more so you can carry the bag 18 holes but why should you when you can walk with a cart and saving you some weight to carry.

I was done with my standbag 2 days after i started golfing and believe before end of second week i had a trolley so much better.

Where we are you need both at cart and a stand bag because in the winter when conditions are really soft carts are banned and everyone has to carry. Regards Mailman

Mailman

I have mixed feelings regarding carts. For years I carried the bag over my shoulder. Then came the two strap bags which made life a little easier. Even at age 71 I can walk the course carrying my own bag, but admittedly it is getting harder and harder. But, I don't really think pushing or pulling a cart is all that much different, I still feel just as tired after 18.  I currently have a 3 wheeler with a collapsible front wheel and actually I find it easier to leave it folded up and use only two wheels. One reason I think is that on two wheels, once you find the center of balance, it seems lighter than pushing or pulling (read: dragging), that thing all over the place. I also find myself opting to ride more frequently.  The bit about carrying in the trunk of the car is also a hassle. Oh, well...guess I should be thankful I can still play.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

I've played golf for 8 years now and bought my first push cart a week ago. I'm fit, I'm healthy and I never had problems carrying my bag. What made me buy one was that I realized I could play more golf that way. I wouldn't get sore in my upper back and shoulders after 15 holes and I felt ready for a new round the next day. I also feel better hitting a shot on the 18th hole when I haven't lifted my bag 100 times and carried it 8000 yards the past two hours. It's still a bit more logistics, having to maneuver around stuff, but I am definitely a cart fan now. I don't play golf to burn calories. I could burn the same amount I get from playing golf for three hours in a matter of minutes if I wanted to. If I want to strengthen my back, I'll do some workout instead, with better equipment and better lifting positions.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I'm just jealous of my kids pushing their carts while I need to carry a 45 pound bag in the name of exercise.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I never heard anyone saying bad about pulling cart.

I heard people ridiculing players with hybrid clubs.   But this rarely happens these days.  A perfect stranger (a bit of a jerk), practically scolded me for playing with yellow ball.  He said it was for those who don't know where they are hitting to (so that they can find their ball easy).   It's a girlie ball, etc..  And my wife was playing with me, too.   There are all kind of opinionated golfers who can't keep their mouth shut.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I never heard anyone saying bad about pulling cart.  I heard people ridiculing players with hybrid clubs.   But this rarely happens these days.  A perfect stranger (a bit of a jerk), practically scolded me for playing with yellow ball.  He said it was for those who don't know where they are hitting to (so that they can find their ball easy).   It's a girlie ball, etc..  And my wife was playing with me, too.   There are all kind of opinionated golfers who can't keep their mouth shut.

What kind of dud did you get hooked up with? Push carts are a good way to get exercise. I don't use one, since I am carrying. Eventually, I'll get one for myself. I like the fact you can carry lots of beverages. Next time someone scoffs at you, pull out a beer or gatorade packed in lots of ice. Drink it like it's extra refreshing. Never heard of anyone getting pissed off at someone using yellow balls before. Did they think you used the range balls?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I personally love when I am walking up to the green with my push cart drinking some water,beer, or Gatoraide and get to set my cart slightly off the green. Especially if I came up short and need to chip. The reason is I don't need to bring my putter with me and than have to place my pw or sw on the ground while I putt. We all have seen what the groups who ride have done. Next green or group im front have to rush back to the green they were on because they left a club by the green. That is amother plus for push carts.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Note: This thread is 2882 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!