IGNORED

Myth of Maintaining Your Address Flex in the Rear Knee

mvmac
Note: This thread is 1972 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by mvmac

Thanks to instructor Terry Rowles for these videos

And both of those guys keep more flex in their right legs than the average pro because they're gumbies.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Stretch

And both of those guys keep more flex in their right legs than the average pro because they're gumbies.

Perhaps you could expand on gumbies?

Driver: 10.5* callaway Razr Hawk Tour - 350 yards(usually into the wind, it can be windy here. at least 400 with a little wind behind me)

Hybrids: 2 and 3 callaway Hybrid razr tour (312 and 287 respectively)

Irons: 3i-10i callaway forged standard length(278, 263, 250, 235, 221, 213, 201, 190)

Wedges: callaway jaws cc 52* 12 approach, 56* 16 sand, 60* 13 lob (0-185)

Odyssey Black tour #9 putter(5 ft, i'm always at least within 5 feet on my approach shot)

I wonder who on this forum is a PGA tour pro, disguised as a normal player.. 

2013: play in the US amateur qualifier

Ridiculously flexible.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

About to become the Master's Champion.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted by jd924

Hey Mike I'm curious what else lack of hip turn does to detriment a golf swing. Would it effect club face control and cause the golfer to hit hooks? Note I'm not going to go try and fix my swing by myself, that's what you evolvr guys are for. I am simply just wondering.

It could, just depends on how the golfer compensates for the lack of rotation.  Might see this with better players in an effort to swing out, shallow out the hip slants, get the club head in at A6, lift the right heel off the ground.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by CrazyD3

Is this the reason for both Ricky and Dustin releasing their right hand bent after impact as saw in the video?  It was discussed that in another thread that the norm is no release.

No Rickie and DJ don't do what I just described, not the reason they lose the bend in their right wrist.  What's important is that they both have an inline impact, left arm and shaft matching up, resulting in some bend in the wrist wrist.  After the ball is gone, that right wrist has no effect on the ball.

Mike McLoughlin

Rickie Fowler

Here's the move that wreaked havoc on my back. Although it looks like I've completed a full turn, too much of it has come from my hips ( see photo ). My right knee is straight because the majority of my weight is stuck on my left side. This tips my torso toward the target and increases the pressure on my lower spine.

Read More http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/2013-05/photos-rickie-fowler-fix-swing#ixzz2RleekY36

This is found in the current Golf Digest website.  What did Rick do wrong with the straight right leg?  Not moving the weight to the right?

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted by CrazyD3

Here's the move that wreaked havoc on my back. Although it looks like I've completed a full turn, too much of it has come from my hips (see photo). My right knee is straight because the majority of my weight is stuck on my left side. This tips my torso toward the target and increases the pressure on my lower spine.

Read More http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/2013-05/photos-rickie-fowler-fix-swing#ixzz2RleekY36

This is found in the current Golf Digest website.  What did Rick do wrong with the straight right leg?  Not moving the weight to the right?

Wouldn't allowing more turn/tilt in the hips reduce the pressure of the turn on the back?  Could it be from too much side tilting? There is no way the majority of the weight is on his left side as well.  I am thinking he should still have more than 50% on the right side.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Apparently, you're extending towards the target, instead of extending but tilting left.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I like GMac and he's a great follow on Twitter, but this made me wince.

Stretch.

Yikes, I just don't get it.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Maybe he doesn't look at his own swing very much lol

Originally Posted by CrazyD3

Here's the move that wreaked havoc on my back. Although it looks like I've completed a full turn, too much of it has come from my hips (see photo). My right knee is straight because the majority of my weight is stuck on my left side. This tips my torso toward the target and increases the pressure on my lower spine.

Read More http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/2013-05/photos-rickie-fowler-fix-swing#ixzz2RleekY36

Yes his spine is almost titling towards the target and he's kicking in some lumbar extension to prove his point

Originally Posted by cipher

Wouldn't allowing more turn/tilt in the hips reduce the pressure of the turn on the back?  Could it be from too much side tilting? There is no way the majority of the weight is on his left side as well.  I am thinking he should still have more than 50% on the right side.

It's just an odd pic, obviously posed.  Weight is definitely not left, head is in between his feet and his hips are relatively centered.

Mike McLoughlin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Just wanted to tag @Dr Draw after seeing his avatar.-Read this thread, son. It will help you.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Did not read all these posts but does it not make sense that squatting down a bit then pushing up is a source of power? I mean who can dunk a Bball if not bending the knees and springing upwards?  So if one can mobilize the pushing power of the back leg into a twisting motion of the hips then more hip speed can be generated. The technique of power transmission from upwards to forwards is no doubt not too easy but, please correct me if wrong, does not Rory, and others, use this squatting down method?

Did not read all these posts but does it not make sense that squatting down a bit then pushing up is a source of power? I mean who can dunk a Bball if not bending the knees and springing upwards?  So if one can mobilize the pushing power of the back leg into a twisting motion of the hips then more hip speed can be generated. The technique of power transmission from upwards to forwards is no doubt not too easy but, please correct me if wrong, does not Rory, and others, use this squatting down method?

We're talking backswing and I think you're talking downswing? The trail leg releases flex in the backswing in order to allow for rotation around an inclined plane, the knee will regain flex on the downswing and allow you to push off or "jump" through impact. You should really read the thread from the beginning. Take a look at Rory at A1 and compare his knees to A4 and you'll see a definite change in flex. We are not talking about fully straightened and locked but there is a definite straighten-ing going on. Look at Tiger, a notorious squatter, at A4 and you'll see that there is clearly a change in knee flex from the address position. Very, very few pros truly maintain flex (the only one I can think of is Anthony Kim) and the ones that do are probably risking injury and aren't as consistent as they could be.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Please read the first post in the thread.

We're talking backswing and I think you're talking downswing? The trail leg releases flex in the backswing in order to allow for rotation around an inclined plane, the knee will regain flex on the downswing and allow you to push off or "jump" through impact. You should really read the thread from the beginning.

Take a look at Rory at A1 and compare his knees to A4 and you'll see a definite change in flex. We are not talking about fully straightened and locked but there is a definite straighten-ing going on.

Congrats, with what you just said you could be a top 100 instructor :beer: Living up to your avatar name

Look at Tiger, a notorious squatter, at A4 and you'll see that there is clearly a change in knee flex from the address position. Very, very few pros truly maintain flex (the only one I can think of is Anthony Kim) and the ones that do are probably risking injury and aren't as consistent as they could be.

Keegan comes to mind as someone who doesn't release very much but he definitely increases flex in the left knee, so somethings gotta give.

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 1972 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!