Jump to content
IGNORED

Hybrid Help...... need opinions


Note: This thread is 3172 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recommended Posts

I have never been able to hit 3-5 irons consistently at all. I never carried a 3 iron in my bag, and the 4 iron is rarely used. I have never owned any “hybrids”, the closet I came to a hybrid is a Callaway 7-wood. That club was one of my favorite clubs in my bag. Many of you already know that I just got back into the game last April, and am in need of some advice from you seasoned vets.  Right now I am currently shooting high 80’s (every now and then an 84 will jump on my scorecard as will a 92). My swing needs some tweaking, but overall when I miss a shot it normally goes left. But I am not all over the course.

I have read several threads on different sites, and see many posts really leaning towards the Adams and Titleist. I haven’t hit either, but would tend to lean more Titleist but do not want to spend a ton of cash on the 3 and 4 hybrids. How is the 909 compared to the 910? Shaft options, any differences or preferences between the Voodoo an Diamana Blue shafts? I have found several used in “great” or “like new” condition on Golfsmith and 3Balls.com for half of the price as new.

I like most of the TM products out there (just look in my bag….LOL). Any thoughts on the TM 2.0, Rescue 09 or Rescue 11 Hybrids? I found some great deals on these as well in “like new” condition.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My first experience with a hybrid was a TM Rescue and could not stand the thing. Just could not keep it from going left. I then came across some Adams Idea Pro Gold. Have had them for two years now and I really like them. I am in the process of changing the shafts but that is more to make them match my iron shafts as well as travel the distance the irons they replaced do (2 and 3 iron). The best part is they can be had very cost effectively. New to almost new can be had for $50 or less. Used ones even less.

$(KGrHqF,!pEE63Yi!ovFBPDl-NdyyQ~~60_1.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by Wet Doggg

My first experience with a hybrid was a TM Rescue and could not stand the thing. Just could not keep it from going left. I then came across some Adams Idea Pro Gold. Have had them for two years now and I really like them. I am in the process of changing the shafts but that is more to make them match my iron shafts as well as travel the distance the irons they replaced do (2 and 3 iron). The best part is they can be had very cost effectively. New to almost new can be had for $50 or less. Used ones even less.

I have not heard anything bad about Adams hybrids. I was pricing the Adam's Pro Idea a12 and a12 Pro since they got a Gold Hot List on Golf Digest, they range from $169- $199 each new.

Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by PhillyMac

I have not heard anything bad about Adams hybrids. I was pricing the Adam's Pro Idea a12 and a12 Pro since they got a Gold Hot List on Golf Digest, they range from $169- $199 each new.



I just suggested the Idea Pro Golds because said in your initial post "do not want to spend a ton of cash". You can still find these new and being a few years old they are very affordable...downright cheap actually. You could buy both hybrids for half of what one new A12 would cost and I think they are just as good if not better.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a Callaway ft-z hybrid and could not hit it at all. I picked up two of the Adams black super hybrids and love them. Those will stay in the bag for a long time!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've tried several hybrids and if you're right handed, playing the ball between your left eye & nipple ( more towards the nipple )  at address is the best way to line the body up to it.

If you hit down on the ball ( not too fast ) the hybrid is a great club, it gives great distance and easy to hit when set up at address properly.  Try that & see if it works better, Good Luck.

Goose

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the Rescue '09 hybrids and couldn't keep the ball from going left. I tried G15 hybrids thinking they'd play more like an iron, but same problem. Ended up with Nickent 4dx - more of a players club but there is no offset, sets up very nice and neutral. Easier to hit straight. I don't know why so many of the OEMs build their hybrids with so much offset. You need to hit a few different ones, preferably at an outdoor range so you can see how they really fly.
Link to post
Share on other sites

This past summer I finally picked up my first hybrid... R11 TP 4H. It has a stiff shaft and is a solid stick. But I felt like I didn't get the ball flight I wanted, and the fitter I use recommended I try the 5H. The R11 TP 5H is one of the easiest clubs to hit in my bag. It's money. I want to trade in my 4H and replace it with a 3H, but I'm waiting for the new RBZ's to be released in February. I would recommend you try various hybrids out on a Trackman and watch your carry distance. I carry my 5H 190 on average and the 4H was only 190 to 195. But my ball flight with the 4H is much lower for some strange reason. The 5H, I can hit really high and land softly on longer par 3's. The main reason I love it.
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades



Originally Posted by Wet Doggg

I just suggested the Idea Pro Golds because said in your initial post "do not want to spend a ton of cash". You can still find these new and being a few years old they are very affordable...downright cheap actually. You could buy both hybrids for half of what one new A12 would cost and I think they are just as good if not better.

Yeah, I don't want to spend a ton of cash on them. I found the Idea Pro Golds used on 3BallsGolf.com and GolfSmith. Prices were pretty reasonable.


Originally Posted by Jmdmbike

I had the Rescue '09 hybrids and couldn't keep the ball from going left. I tried G15 hybrids thinking they'd play more like an iron, but same problem. Ended up with Nickent 4dx - more of a players club but there is no offset, sets up very nice and neutral. Easier to hit straight. I don't know why so many of the OEMs build their hybrids with so much offset. You need to hit a few different ones, preferably at an outdoor range so you can see how they really fly.


I heard the G15 was a pretty descent club. As far as offset, I am in the same boat. I hate any club with alot of offset. I tend to pull em left.



Originally Posted by Beachcomber

This past summer I finally picked up my first hybrid... R11 TP 4H. It has a stiff shaft and is a solid stick. But I felt like I didn't get the ball flight I wanted, and the fitter I use recommended I try the 5H. The R11 TP 5H is one of the easiest clubs to hit in my bag. It's money. I want to trade in my 4H and replace it with a 3H, but I'm waiting for the new RBZ's to be released in February.

I would recommend you try various hybrids out on a Trackman and watch your carry distance. I carry my 5H 190 on average and the 4H was only 190 to 195. But my ball flight with the 4H is much lower for some strange reason. The 5H, I can hit really high and land softly on longer par 3's. The main reason I love it.


The problem I am having is I need a two clubs too replace my 3 and 4 iron. I normally hit my 5 iron in the 190 yd range. When I hit my 4 iron flush it is a 200yd club fairly consistently. I need one hybrid around 200 yds and one around 210- 220 yd to sort of fill the gap to my 3 wood.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hybrids are currently a mystery to me.  I love every club in my bag except my hybrid.  I've played TM Rescues and currently have a Rescue 11 and a Titleist 909h.  Every hybrid I've played had a tendency to go left; the best one I've had was a rescue TP from about 4 years ago with a tipped steel shaft (S+), but that one ended up with a huge dent in the top of the clubhead from when my bag fell off the cart and hit the path.

My current Rescue 11 (16*, RIP s-flex) is a great club:  really long, good trajectory (high but not too high), and I can work the ball right pretty easily.  Problem is that it's almost too long, and I can't really control the distance with it, so it doesn't work well as a gap-filler between my 3-iron and 3-wood.  I also think the 60-gram hybrid shaft they use is too light for a hybrid.  The 909h has a great clubhead, but the shafts they offer don't work for me.  The Voodoo I currently have in it doesn't feel right--like the shaft is too heavy and the head is too light at the same time.  I also think the insert in that shaft dampens the feel too much.

My next hybrid to try is the Adams Idea Pro A12 with the 80-gram RIP mid-launch shaft.  Head shape is closer to an iron, so should be easy to hit out of different lies.  They also cut their hybrids 1/2" shorter than what seems to be the market standard, which is nice--most hybrids are closer to woods in length than irons, but we're trying to use them as irons.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades



Originally Posted by k-troop

My next hybrid to try is the Adams Idea Pro A12 with the 80-gram RIP mid-launch shaft.  Head shape is closer to an iron, so should be easy to hit out of different lies.  They also cut their hybrids 1/2" shorter than what seems to be the market standard, which is nice--most hybrids are closer to woods in length than irons, but we're trying to use them as irons.



Great club. I too have an issue with my hybrids going too far and I also have the issue of them going left. Maybe once out of 20 swings...but that is still too much for me. So I am in the process of reshafting them with steel hybrid shafts that match my iron shafts as well as cutting them down to a standard 3 and 2 iron length. To me...a hybrid should act a lot more like an iron than a wood so I think the steel shafts will work out nicely.

Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by Wet Doggg

Great club. I too have an issue with my hybrids going too far and I also have the issue of them going left. Maybe once out of 20 swings...but that is still too much for me. So I am in the process of reshafting them with steel hybrid shafts that match my iron shafts as well as cutting them down to a standard 3 and 2 iron length. To me...a hybrid should act a lot more like an iron than a wood so I think the steel shafts will work out nicely.



I don't disagree with that thought at all.  As a true 2-iron replacement, a 17* hybrid with a 40" steel shaft should work perfectly.  The only concern I had with mine, when it was set up that way, is that I couldn't hit it really high from the turf when I wanted to.  I use a hybrid a little differently, as a high-launch alternative to a 3-wood, a gap-filler, and a rescue club for a 200+ yard shot from less than ideal lies.  As such, I need a higher launch shaft.  I also like to be able to really step on it from time to time--a 130-gram steel shaft is less than ideal for that (at least for me).

Honestly, it's like I'm trying to get two or three clubs out of one, which might be why I'm never fully satisfied with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

troop...I know what you mean and it is a concern for me also. I will be pulling the graphite shafts myself...if the KBS shafts do make the flight too low I will just put them back in. But to be honest...right now they take off a little to high for me. If it is not a windy day I am good. Add some wind in my face and I do not like them. They just go straight up in the air and I lose major distance. Like I said...just an experiment at this point.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The most asked for clubs for me to build for people this past season was the 3/4/5 hybrids. They are much more versatile clubs than the long irons and much easier to hit. As with any other club, try them out before you buy and see what works best for you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...

Back when they were still a standalone company Nickent was known as "The King of Hybrids".  www.dallasgolf.com has them new with Grafalloy shafts for $32.99 plus shipping.  They were one of the companies that pioneered the hybrid and they work for me.  Great price with excellent performance.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Note: This thread is 3172 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...