IGNORED

I Hope Matt Every Wins The Damn Sony Open!

cheffdiddy_45
Note: This thread is 3233 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You really have to question the PGA Tour when they give a 3 month ban to someone for a minor case that was dropped about him and some friends being in possession of weed yet the numerous cases of DUIs (which really endanger other lives and give out an even worse name for the Tour) have no bans associated with them (that I'm aware of).

• Upvote 2

• Administrator

I didn't see the interview, but it doesn't sound to me like she did more than ask a simple question. A question he's yet to answer publicly, and the first time he's in the spotlight seems like the time to answer it.

Seriously, people are asking when Kelly will ask Tiger about Thanksgiving 2009? Because where have you been hiding for the past two+ years? He's been asked - and grilled, and asked, and grilled, and asked, and grilled - about all of that relentlessly. And he wasn't even banned from the PGA Tour.

So let me get this right: Matt was asked ONE question about his suspension, he bumbled the answer, and people are pissed at Kelly? She's not my favorite announcer, but in the extremes between "soft" and "hard" this is nowhere near towards the "hard" end of the question spectrum.

Edit: I've seen the interview now. In no way does he seem like he's got some sort of social anxiety idea or anything. Furthermore, players prepped for these things are by and large told what questions they'll be asked. Even if that didn't occur this time (odds are it did), his reaction was lousy - "It wasn't a big deal, I just got time off, and other guys do a lot worse things out here." Pitiful. It came across to me that he doesn't think he did anything wrong.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If Every can respectively shoot great numbers in the next 2 day's,that is miraculous!!

Focus should have been solely on his Friday scoring & lead.But it is so predictable for the media

have to dig into the archive's of misadventure...Golf Channel has lost some respect from this guy.

No doubt,Faldo,Golf Channel & PGA Tour will side with Tighlman on this issue.

Sure the Morning Drive group will have some insight Monday morn..

If I was Every,I would not have slept last night.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by deasy55

And how do we know he did?

He didn't proclaim innocence. He simply acted like it was no big deal. He had an opportunity to explain himself or whatever, and he blew it.

Originally Posted by Oninreg

IFocus should have been solely on his Friday scoring & lead.But it is so predictable for the media have to dig into the archive's of misadventure...Golf Channel has lost some respect from this guy.

That's bull in so many ways it's not even funny.

Journalists ask questions, and the people playing the game matter. In one thread we've got people talking about Erik Compton's struggles and what it means to them, what it makes them think of the guy, etc. and in another thread, here, we have people saying the focus should only be on golf. You can't have it both ways, and I'd never want it to be "solely on" golf - I like knowing who plays the game, some stories about them, etc. It's human nature.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Sounds like he said it wasn't a big deal, because it actually wasn't a big deal.  Marijuana really isn't a big deal.  Misdemeanor possession isn't even prosecuted in most places unless you're at the high end of the misdemeanor weight range.  Hanging out with people who smoke weed is even less of a big deal.

And I promise you there are plenty of guys on tour who routinely possess and smoke weed.  Still not a big deal, but I guess it would be to the guy who neither possessed nor smoked, but got suspended anyway.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

I just read the weed and golf thread.  It seems there are some pretty extreme opinions on this forum about marijuana.  (BTW if anyone questions my biases on this issue:  I'm an active duty Army Officer--I don't smoke pot or use controlled drugs of any kind.  I'm also a lawyer, and have been a prosecutor and defense counsel.)

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Just watched the video.

He defiantly did not look comfortable in front of the camera.  But it looked more like nerves than social anxiety.  I loved the lame segue attempt by Kelly.  The island in the background reminds her of lost, which is his favorite TV show, blah blah blah.  Too funny.

Granted the interview could have gone better, but I did like when he said "There's a lot worse stuff that goes on out here than what I got in trouble for."  I know Hank Haney is coming out with a book about Tiger, but does anyone think a so called "tell-all" book will ever come out and drop some bombs about some very popular players?

Matt Every owes no one an explanation.  If he has made peace with his family, God (or whomever he prays to), and done his time, he doesn't owe Golf Channel, Kelly Tilghman, the fans, anyone, an explanation.  Matt Every isn't Tiger Woods with a following of millions of people.  Tiger had to appologize and talk about his problems if he ever wanted to sell a pair of shoes, a watch, a car, a ball, a hat, etc, ever again.  Matt Every is just trying to live out his dreams and provide for his family.  He owes no one anything.

Golf Channel took what might be the guys best round of golf on the PGA Tour and overshadowed it by a simple mistake he made in his past.  That is unfair to him and his fans that his great round of golf and him leading the Sony Open was overshadowed by his mistake and a mistake he has done the time for.  Now if Golf Channel wanted to come to him and say, "you know, if you win this tournament, we would like to do an expose on your troubles and how you worked past them and became successful", that is another thing.

I didn't see anyone after Robert Garrigus finished as the highest American in the 2011 U.S. Open, come up after the Open was finished and say, "Great golf, Robert.  Now lets talk about your drug and alcohol problems".  Yeah, Golf Channel is doing a story on him, but it is also a 1 on 1 story where Garrigus knows, I am going to talk about my problems.  As I said, if you wanted to do a story on Every's problems, make it a comfortable enviroment for him. That is what Kelly is.  A journalist.  If she really wants to get the players to open up and talk to her, which is what journalism is, she would make them feel comfortable.  She failed big time.  She took a guys great round of golf in a tough tournament and put the spotlight on her and her ridiculous questions.

Kelly has a history of running her mouth and getting into trouble (See Tiger "lynching"), which is exactly why she isn't in the booth anymore.  Golf Channel should demote her to camera woman.

If GC gave him a heads up and he agreed to take the topic on, then he missed his opportunity to put this episode to bed, permanently. If they did not and caught him out durin the interview, then you have to question GC - what's the point? Definitely would not happen to Woods, Mickelson, Johnson or others. Maybe he had a heads up and just fumbled big time, but it didn't look like that. More like a deer in the headlights IMO. Not opining on whether what he did was ok or not. It's about whether or not he was treated appropriately during the interview.
  • Upvote 1

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

And that's just it.  I could care less if what he did is right or wrong.  What nerves me, is Kelly is trying to pass herself off as a "journalist" by conducting these player interviews and totally tosses them into a bear trap like that.  I mean, I don't care who you are, you are only going to get away with that for so long before no one is going to talk to you.  It is painfully clear that Every had no idea he was going to be asked that question.  Golf Channel wasn't exactly knocking down his door when it happened or before the tournament for him to explain, because you know why?  No one knew of him and they didn't care because there was no way Matt Every was going to win this tournament.  Now that he is leading and stands a good chance to win, let's attack him for his mistake.

Stupidity sells stories and makes money.  Hell, just look at Fox News.

Originally Posted by cheffdiddy_45

Matt Every isn't Tiger Woods with a following of millions of people.  Tiger had to appologize and talk about his problems if he ever wanted to sell a pair of shoes, a watch, a car, a ball, a hat, etc, ever again.  Matt Every is just trying to live out his dreams and provide for his family.

Very good point.  And at least the guy answered and questions without the aid of something that was pre-written like Tiger's so-called apology.  That was pathetic.

This interview was targeting one issue with Tighlman's/Golf Channel's intent from the get go. To probe into Matt Every's blemished past.And having him sitting in that chair on a Friday atop the leaderboard was a perfect opportunity...

There really was'nt any talk about the round he had or how that (honkin) putter was working.

Obviously caught off guard (Every) & obviously saying all the "wrong" things in alot of viewers eyes.

Apparently the other half side with Every not Faldo,Golf Channel & in all likelihood Tim Finchem.

I thought the interview and subsequent roasting of Matt Avery was nothing short of disgusting on the part of Kelly Tilghman and the golf channel. Does golf channel really think that the golfing public is so holier than thou that we want to crucify the kid for some past incident ?  How bout his nice round of golf ?  Then Faldo chimes in after and says how Avery shot himself in the foot. Who do those blowhards think they are ? Sure, the kid was nervous, they had him squirming, and they loved it. I think and hope they take some serious heat for this one. Another online thread is already calling it a "train wreck".  Good job, golf channel on alienating another million people from the ranks of golf lovers.

• Administrator

Oh brother.

Matt Every owes no one an explanation.

He's a public figure, and is one in a sport that prides itself on its lily white public image. Asking a single question - which he was free to say "uh, I have no comment on that really" - is not a big deal.

Originally Posted by cheffdiddy_45

Golf Channel took what might be the guys best round of golf on the PGA Tour and overshadowed it by a simple mistake he made in his past. That is unfair to him and his fans that his great round of golf and him leading the Sony Open was overshadowed by his mistake and a mistake he has done the time for.  Now if Golf Channel wanted to come to him and say, "you know, if you win this tournament, we would like to do an expose on your troubles and how you worked past them and became successful", that is another thing.

Gee, over-react much? Isn't it better to ask him after the second round than to ask him after the fourth?

Originally Posted by cheffdiddy_45

Yeah, Golf Channel is doing a story on him, but it is also a 1 on 1 story where Garrigus knows, I am going to talk about my problems.  As I said, if you wanted to do a story on Every's problems, make it a comfortable enviroment for him. That is what Kelly is.  A journalist.  If she really wants to get the players to open up and talk to her, which is what journalism is, she would make them feel comfortable.  She failed big time.  She took a guys great round of golf in a tough tournament and put the spotlight on her and her ridiculous questions.

Journalism is about asking questions and allowing people to respond. Furthermore, odds are the guy knew he was going to be asked the question . Coddling or sucking up to the players "so they open up to them" is not journalism. It's the opposite of journalism if you ask me.

Originally Posted by Jmdmbike

Definitely would not happen to Woods, Mickelson, Johnson or others.

Right. Tiger was never asked any questions about his past. He wasn't lectured by Billy Payne from the podium at Augusta National. Maybe Mickelson and Johnson haven't been asked a "tough question" because, I dunno, they've never been arrested and suspended from the PGA Tour? Oh, and Phil was asked several questions about rumored gambling back in the day. So there's that.

What nerves me, is Kelly is trying to pass herself off as a "journalist" by conducting these player interviews and totally tosses them into a bear trap like that. I mean, I don't care who you are, you are only going to get away with that for so long before no one is going to talk to you. It is painfully clear that Every had no idea he was going to be asked that question.

It's not painfully clear. He reacts to that question the same way he reacted to being asked about his round of golf.

Originally Posted by Oninreg

This interview was targeting one issue with Tighlman's/Golf Channel's intent from the get go. To probe into Matt Every's blemished past.And having him sitting in that chair on a Friday atop the leaderboard was a perfect opportunity...

OH MY GOD! What a probe!!!!! ONE FREAKING QUESTION!!!!! Give me a break.

Guess what? If she hadn't asked the question, people would be asking themselves why. And it'd just delay the inevitable. Better to ask the question (again, after the second round, it's not like they waited to ask him about it until he'd won something) and get it out of the way.

Originally Posted by superhack

I thought the interview and subsequent roasting of Matt Avery was nothing short of disgusting on the part of Kelly Tilghman and the golf channel. Does golf channel really think that the golfing public is so holier than thou that we want to crucify the kid for some past incident?  ... Sure, the kid was nervous, they had him squirming, and they loved it. I think and hope they take some serious heat for this one.

He was squirming when she asked about his round, too. He didn't even know what he'd shot. Simple fact is the kid came off like a moron, and instead of manning up he said "uhhh, I didn't do anything, and other guys do worse stuff than me." "Roasting"? "holier than thou"? "disgusting"? "crucify" Give me a break.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iacas

Maybe Mickelson and Johnson haven't been asked a "tough question" because, I dunno, they've never been arrested and suspended from the PGA Tour?

It wasn't really one question. She brought up the topic, he was clearly uncomfortable with it, and she pressed on, asking him "what he learned from the incident". What is she, his mother? He truly thinks it wasn't a big deal, so that's what he said. Doesn't mean people have to agree with him. Players should be free to speak their mind, right or wrong. If not, then what is the point of interviewing any of them?

This interview was targeting one issue with Tighlman's/Golf Channel's intent from the get go. To probe into Matt Every's blemished past.And having him sitting in that chair on a Friday atop the leaderboard was a perfect opportunity... There really was'nt any talk about the round he had or how that (honkin) putter was working. Obviously caught off guard (Every) & obviously saying all the "wrong" things in alot of viewers eyes. Apparently the other half side with Every not Faldo,Golf Channel & in all likelihood Tim Finchem.

Yeah, I'm sure they set out on wednesday with one objective: to interview Matt Every. [quote name="deasy55" url="/t/55132/i-hope-matt-every-wins-the-damn-sony-open#post_672487"] Matt Every has gained a fan in me and I have lost any of the remaining respect I had for Kelly Tilghman. I wonder the next time Tiger is leading will she bring up Thanksgiving 2009? Or if Vijay is leading will she bring up the cheating stories from the Asian Tour in the 80s? Dustin Johnson's DUI? Phil Mickelson rumours of his illegitimate child in Ohio? The list goes on. [/quote] Every is different from Woods and Johnson because they both admitted and apologized. Johnson was arrested and spent a night in jail. He's different from Vijay because Vijay has been asked for 25 years about the cheating thing, and he's established that there's nothing new any reporter will get out of him. And he's different from Phil because he doesn't have millions apron millions of adoring fans, and he's not one of the PGA Tour's top draws. Maybe that's not right, but it's the truth. I'm not vilifying Every, but Tilghman asked a pretty simple question, about a topic Every should have known would come up.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Note: This thread is 3233 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!