IGNORED

Slow Play Promise and Petition

iacas
Note: This thread is 6005 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Slow Play is why I don't even bother going out on weekends anymore, and that's sad. It took one 7.5 hour round at a municipal course(Greendale) in Alexandria, VA in 2001 to scare me off of weekend golf forever.

Same reason my golf outings to Myrtle Beach have decreased as well. Went out two years ago and played one 5 hour round and one 6 hour round.

Ugh.

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played a scramble tournament one day on a sub-6000 yard course. They sent us out in 8-somes, and it took over 6 hours. Wow. A few weeks later, during the Daytona 500, I played at the local muni that has 36 holes. I had the whole place to myself and played 45 holes in 3.5 hours. Play fast people!

The best thing to do on the weekends is make sure you are the dewsweepers! Get out there in the first few groups of the day. not only do you set the pace of play, but you also get out of there in time for lunch and you have the rest of the day to do whatever!

In my Srixon staff bag:

Driver: Titleist 909D2 8.5 - Grafalloy Epic X
Fairway: Adams RPM LP 13 degree - Grafalloy Epic X
Hybrids: Adams Idea Pro 18 degree - DGSL X100Irons: MacGregor 1025M 3-PW - DG X100SW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54 - DG X100LW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 58 - DG X100Putter...

Slow Play is why I don't even bother going out on weekends anymore, and that's sad. It took one 7.5 hour round at a municipal course(Greendale) in Alexandria, VA in 2001 to scare me off of weekend golf forever.

Love your home course! The Gauntlet was fun. I played it a few years back and it was the first time I had played zoysia grass fairways. Quite a change to have the ball sit up like it's on a tee...

In my Srixon staff bag:

Driver: Titleist 909D2 8.5 - Grafalloy Epic X
Fairway: Adams RPM LP 13 degree - Grafalloy Epic X
Hybrids: Adams Idea Pro 18 degree - DGSL X100Irons: MacGregor 1025M 3-PW - DG X100SW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54 - DG X100LW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 58 - DG X100Putter...

Here, here!

Play faster people!

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Last week I went home for the weekend (down to Boston) because there was still snow on the ground here in Maine. I think the problem is that people who play casually or play at courses that are not in the greatest condition (at least for Mass that means sub 50 dollar course) people have just come to accept slow play. As a college student I can't drop a 100 bucks a round so I sit out there for 6 hrs every weekend. Anyways, back to my story. So I came home just to play golf, the course I went to put me into a 5some... and there was one behind us and in front of us. It was the most painful round of golf I have ever played.

So, sign me up!

oh yeah by the way, I've never played a 4 hr round... I'm jealous of that number

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

I'm on board too!!!
In my Ping Pioneer LC bag -
Driver: TaylorMade R11 10* closed
3 Wood: TaylorMade R11 15* open
Hybrid: Ping G15 20*
Irons: Ping G15 4, i15 5 - PWWedges: Ping Tour S 50*, 56* bent to 55*, 60*Putter: TaylorMade Daytona Ghost 34" 

two older guys and myself got it done in 3 and a half while marking everything, cleaning the balls before putting, and hitting in turn (not playing ready golf).... there's no excuse for a round of golf taking more than 4 hours... that's with a 30 minute stop at the turn... not stop 3hours 30 minutes is more than enough...

not like we played well either... i shot 8 over but they shot in the upper 90's... so yes i agree do whatever it takes to play 18 in less than 4 hours per round, barring hitting into the group infront.

Signed up here...

Da Bag:

TM Super Quad R7 (w/Stulz stiff shaft)
TM CGB R7 4-PW (steel)
Cleveland Halo 1i, 3i, 5i (steel)Cleveland CG10 SW, GWHeavy Putter A1MTitliest ProV1xTitliest Tour BagClub Glove head coversFootjoy Classic Dry Premier

Hell, I think 4 hours is too much. I have left and gone home if I play the front nine too slow.

What's in my bag
Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5 degrees UST Proforce 65 shaft
3 Wood: Taylor Made V Steel 15 degrees
Taylor Made Rescue Dual 22 degrees (UST IROD shaft)
Irons: Mizuno MP-67 (bent 1 degree upright)Gap Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle 52 Sand Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle...

Absolutely! There is no excuse for long play. Bad golf, yes. Long play, no.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but some golf clubs are partly the problem...

1. Overbooking...we showed up at a course with a tee time that I set. It happened that the club also gets email tee times via a service and the tee time we had was double booked...6 hour round.
2. Lack of rangers or pseudo rangers (the ones that just ride around in a cart to make sure the grass is still green)...someone has to enforce slow play policy...
3. Inconsistent tee time staggering...
4. Some clubs don't even have a slow play policy or never enforce the one they have...

Slow players will NEVER speed up unless they are educated properly, whether it be within their own group or by the ranger. Once a policy is put forth at the golf shop or the ranger station, then at least the golfers are put on notice and aware of the consequences...

Da Bag:

TM Super Quad R7 (w/Stulz stiff shaft)
TM CGB R7 4-PW (steel)
Cleveland Halo 1i, 3i, 5i (steel)Cleveland CG10 SW, GWHeavy Putter A1MTitliest ProV1xTitliest Tour BagClub Glove head coversFootjoy Classic Dry Premier

I hereby sign the petition and am more than happy to promise to point out to all and sundry that "a quick game is a good game!"

I, the undersigned, hereby promise to play golf within four hours.

I'd never really kept track of how long 18 holes took at my usual course. Last night I walked the front 9 with another single in one hour & 45 minutes, took a ten minute break at the turn and got held up a little on the back 9 due to a league. Even with the backup and playing with two other players on carts, I still finished 18 holes in 4 hours and 15 minutes. This is walking and I'm both a releatively bad player and overweight. If I can get it done in that time on foot with a league going on anyone can.

And so far as I know, this course doesn't have a slow play policy or even rangers on weekdays. Maybe I'm just lucky.

I actually enjoy going out and playing a 9 hole in a couple hours and going back the next day and playing the remaining 9 in another 2 hours. It also helps that the course is down the street from me. im A.D.D. so i dont have much of an attention span. 4 hours is still way too much for me.

But i'll definately help the cause!!!! signed!

In My Callaway Golf Bag:

Driver: BB 454 8* Aldila nv65s
Fairway Wood: 3&5 Sport Stiff
Hybrid: Nicklaus 21* Himax4- PW: GT2 Tightlies StiffSW: 588 GunLW: 588 GunPutter: OZ T100Bite Men's Golf AC II Golf Shoe Top Flite ballGrey Goose Mini's

I promise.

What's in my bag:
Driver : R7, 10.5 degree, stock stiff shaft
16 Degree Hybrid - Cobra Baffler DWS, with stiff stock shaft
20 Degree Hybrid - Cobra Baffler, with Accra Shaft, Stiff
26 Degree Hybrid - Cobra Baffler, with Accra Shaft, Stiff6 - PW - Bridgestone CG Mid, Dynamic Gold LiteWedges : TBA...

Note: This thread is 6005 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!