IGNORED

TRUE Shoes, Barefoot, and More

Note: This thread is 2254 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Zeph

Are they less waterproof than other non-waterproof shoes out there? As long as the water don't soak through the shole or the edge of the sole, it works on the course on days without rain.

No. The soles don't have holes in them and they're not made of sponges. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Of course they did. Otherwise they would fall.  This has zero to do with cushioning when walking. Their are running studies that suggest gait changes but again those adapations will not change affect walking (you are not doing to land mid foot and forward while walking). Can you wear these shoes for walking 8+ hours on concrete? You bet. People do that with dress shoes, high heels, and bunch of other stuff.  Heck you can run a marathon barefoot if you want to. Most people are happier with a nice sneaker though and your legs feel slightly better.

I personally don't wear my slippers for 10 mile walks on concrete so I can't tell if they would be better or worse than my PHXs. I can tell you my slippers are lot more comfortable than my PHXs.  Are the PHXs closer to a slipper than some formal dress shoe? Sure but that isn't saying much. Are they more comfortable than any running shoe I have used in the past 20 years? Other than the racing flats (think zero cushioning. The cushioning is in the track not your shoe) not really. YMMV.

Originally Posted by iacas

You'd be surprised.

Seen plenty of studies which show that people will actually land with more force when they anticipate softer landing than firmer landing.

For example, one recent study had people jumping from a foot or two in the air onto some padding below. The force of their landing was measured. People were made to jump to a "control" piece of foam (like gymnastics mats or something), then told that the next mattress thingy was "firmer" or "softer." When the people anticipated a firmer mattress, they landed softer. When they anticipated the softer mattress, they landed firmer.

Now, it does require at least a minimal level of "foot fitness" but really, I think most people are fine with that.

"As comfortable as a pair of slippers" is a common phrase - most slippers don't have a ton of padding either.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by x129

Of course they did. Otherwise they would fall.

The study simply shows that when people expect something to cushion things for them they don't use their bodies to naturally cushion things for themselves.

Originally Posted by x129

Most people are happier with a nice sneaker though and your legs feel slightly better.

Mine don't. And I'm happier to have slightly stronger legs and feet than many people, in part due to the time spent barefooted or in minimally supportive shoes.

YMMV.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Erik,

Do the soles clean off easy?  My issue with soft spikes is they clog easily and you have to pick out the wet grass with a pitch mark tool or tee.  On wet days it can be almost every tee.  I have Adidas shoes now.  They are pretty comfortable but I feel it after walking 18.

If these are as comfortable as you say, have good traction, do not wear too fast and clean easy, then I would definitely try a pair.

I do have high arches, but walking barefoot never causes any issues.

These remind me a lot of my indoor soccer shoes that I use for coaching.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Originally Posted by boogielicious

Erik,

Do the soles clean off easy?  My issue with soft spikes is they clog easily and you have to pick out the wet grass with a pitch mark tool or tee.  On wet days it can be almost every tee.  I have Adidas shoes now.  They are pretty comfortable but I feel it after walking 18.

If these are as comfortable as you say, have good traction, do not wear too fast and clean easy, then I would definitely try a pair.

I do have high arches, but walking barefoot never causes any issues.

These remind me a lot of my indoor soccer shoes that I use for coaching.

As for the original Trues, I haven't had a problem cleaning off the soles.  Even in wet conditions where you get wet grass stuck in there, it's real easy to use a divot tool or something similar to scrape it out quick... Not nearly the hassle that soft spikes are.  I'm not sure about the new Trues as they have changed the sole design but if anything it looks like it'd be even easier.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

• Administrator

Originally Posted by tristanhilton85

As for the original Trues, I haven't had a problem cleaning off the soles.  Even in wet conditions where you get wet grass stuck in there, it's real easy to use a divot tool or something similar to scrape it out quick... Not nearly the hassle that soft spikes are.  I'm not sure about the new Trues as they have changed the sole design but if anything it looks like it'd be even easier.

The new ones are a little bit easier, yeah, and even the old sole design was a breeze compared to soft spikes. There's no "lips" like the splayed out "spike things" on soft spikes to trap dirt and grass.

I typically clean them out with a tee or those brushes on the ball washers. Or step in a little puddle and stomp my feet twice. :)

I took the plunge today and bought a pair of phx shoes today. I will report back later.

Michael

• Administrator

It's been a month or so in the making and figuring out, but as of awhile ago Dave Wedzik, myself, and a few others involved with 5SK are officially TRUE Ambassadors. I'll be happy to answer anyone's questions about the TRUE Shoes (I may make a separate thread, because this one's really not about TRUE shoes but more about how I like what TRUE does with their "minimal" and "zero drop" platform).

It's been a month or so in the making and figuring out, but as of awhile ago Dave Wedzik, myself, and a few others involved with 5SK are officially TRUE Ambassadors. I'll be happy to answer anyone's questions about the TRUE Shoes (I may make a separate thread, because this one's really not about TRUE shoes but more about how I like what TRUE does with their "minimal" and "zero drop" platform).

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

The new ones are a little bit easier, yeah, and even the old sole design was a breeze compared to soft spikes. There's no "lips" like the splayed out "spike things" on soft spikes to trap dirt and grass.

I typically clean them out with a tee or those brushes on the ball washers. Or step in a little puddle and stomp my feet twice. :)

They really don't seem to hold on to the turf as my soft spikes.  There are less places for the turf to get stuck into, and they are much easier to free from any sticking turf than the soft spikes.  Reminds me more of the traditional spikes we used to wear.  I do miss that sound.

Placed an order for TRUE Tours :). Looking forward to something new!

Driver: :tmade: R11 9.0 - Bassara Griffin UL - Tour Stiff 3-wood: :tmade: R11 Ti 15.0 - JAVLNFX M6 - Stiff Hybrid: :tmade: Rescue Hybrid - JAVLNFX Hybrid - Stiff 4-PW: :mizuno: JPX 800 PRO - Nippon 1150 GH Tour - Stiff Wedges: :edel: 50/56/60 - Nippon WV 125 Putter/Ball/RF: :edel: / :bridgestone: B330 / :leupold: GX-3i

(shameless double post)

Received my True Tours today. They are a little wide at the toebox for my super slim feet. Any recommendations? Should I try a different, maybe thicker insole or go to a cobbler and see if they have anything to put at the top of my shoe for a little more snugness? I don't want to ruin the feel at the bottom of the shoe, but I need a little more snugness in the front.

Driver: :tmade: R11 9.0 - Bassara Griffin UL - Tour Stiff 3-wood: :tmade: R11 Ti 15.0 - JAVLNFX M6 - Stiff Hybrid: :tmade: Rescue Hybrid - JAVLNFX Hybrid - Stiff 4-PW: :mizuno: JPX 800 PRO - Nippon 1150 GH Tour - Stiff Wedges: :edel: 50/56/60 - Nippon WV 125 Putter/Ball/RF: :edel: / :bridgestone: B330 / :leupold: GX-3i

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Precis1on

(shameless double post)

Received my True Tours today. They are a little wide at the toebox for my super slim feet. Any recommendations? Should I try a different, maybe thicker insole or go to a cobbler and see if they have anything to put at the top of my shoe for a little more snugness? I don't want to ruin the feel at the bottom of the shoe, but I need a little more snugness in the front.

I recommend trying them for awhile the way they are first. Tighten the laces a little bit, but let your feet have a little room to move around and spread out.

Of course, if your feet truly are super slim, then yes, they may be too wide, and you may want to do something.

I recommend trying them for awhile the way they are first. Tighten the laces a little bit, but let your feet have a little room to move around and spread out.

Of course, if your feet truly are super slim, then yes, they may be too wide, and you may want to do something.

Thanks, I'll take them out for a spin tonight as is :).

In the same way that some brands do not fit wide feet very well,  I would think that True's don't particularly cater to those with slim feet.  It's hard to make a product that works for everyone.  Personally, the True's fit me great and I enjoy having a little more room in the toe box for once.  My Adidas, I order wide and fit well.  I've tried Nike running shoes and I can't get them to fit no matter how I order them...so I don't wear Nikes.

Like my Trues so much I now have two pairs.

Originally Posted by mchepp

I took the plunge today and bought a pair of phx shoes today. I will report back later.

Mine arrived yesterday and even ordering a half a size smaller than normal they are still too big. I will need to exchange them. Sort of a bummer, but I do get to test the exchange process which is always a good indicator of a companies customer service.

I wish now that I had gone to a store to try them out before buying. They were considerably larger than I thought.

Michael

I had a very pleasant return process. The only issue was that my size/color combo was back ordered but they gave me the option of switching color to get the shoe sooner. I would really recommend trying them on before buying that isn't possible for everyone.

Originally Posted by mchepp

Mine arrived yesterday and even ordering a half a size smaller than normal they are still too big. I will need to exchange them. Sort of a bummer, but I do get to test the exchange process which is always a good indicator of a companies customer service.

I wish now that I had gone to a store to try them out before buying. They were considerably larger than I thought.

Note: This thread is 2254 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!