Sign in to follow this  
poser

Softer shaft in driver and interesting results.

Note: This thread is 3229 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

6 posts / 1433 viewsLast Reply

So I ordered a new Cobra ZL encore with stiff shaft and it arrived yesterday.  I currently play a nike vr pro with project x6.5 and I have been hitting it left right all over the planet.  This wasn't the longest thing I hit the longest was the RBZ but, I just loved the way the shaft felt even though it was a little softer it really worked well.  I played nine today with it and I maybe 10 yards shorter with it but, everything was on a laser and hit every fairway.  Hard to really tell the distance because it was wet and cold.  I've always had issues with the driver getting too deep into impact and not letting it overtake.  I guess the softer shaft helps me do this.  It's weird cause with my swing speed I would think I should be playing an X.

Any thoughts?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Maybe consciously you knew you had a softer shaft and were swinging a little easier,so your timing was better and you had more control.

Sometimes a x-stiff shaft can cause people to swing harder as they feel basically that they have too.Just an  opinion.

Really, very few people need a x-stiff shaft. Even then you got to watch out for the torque and the kick point. You can get a really nasty golf shaft if you get something very low torque, with a higher kick point and x-stiff, add in it might be heavier and you really got to have a solid strong golf swing to get the max out of that golf swing.

Yea somethin must be working.  I hit it on the GC2 launch monitor today and ballspeed was 155-160.  Launch angle around 15 gave me 280 carry.  When I hit it lower around 10 I would go about 255-260 carry.  The best thing is there is no more way offline shots.

I recently went back to my old driver with a UST proforce V2 stiff shaft instead of the X-stiff shaft in my sig.  That shaft is crazy stiff, and may have worked for me before, but 10mph lower and it's pretty useless.  It's the shaft Gary Woodland uses, for example.  The softer shaft helps me to feel the shaft load a little better, I don't have to think about swinging hard to make it work.  Shots end up being straighter as a result.

Note: This thread is 3229 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!