IGNORED

Superstar Field at Abu Dhabi This Week

brocks
Note: This thread is 4463 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

McIlroy said: "I've seen up close how Tiger is playing and I feel if I play my best I've got a great chance.

Love this kid' s attitude.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

McIlroy said: "I've seen up close how Tiger is playing and I feel if I play my best I've got a great chance.

He's right. If he plays his best, he can beat almost anyone. He's not playing his best this week. But what he needs to remember is, neither is Tiger. I think Rory's playing a lot closer to his best than Tiger is. Tiger has lost at least three shots a round this week, because his short game is a long way off. I attribute that to the extra work he's put in on his driving, which has clearly improved. I just don't see that much headroom in Rory's game. I'd love to see them head to head, both at their best, over the next several years. But I think if Tiger can get all the way back to his best, he'll eat Rory's lunch.

Depends on which Tiger he's referring to, the first round or third round.  He's got a good chance when Tiger isn't putting well, but otherwise my money is on Tiger.

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by brocks

He's right. If he plays his best, he can beat almost anyone. He's not playing his best this week.

But what he needs to remember is, neither is Tiger. I think Rory's playing a lot closer to his best than Tiger is.

Tiger has lost at least three shots a round this week, because his short game is a long way off. I attribute that to the extra work he's put in on his driving, which has clearly improved. I just don't see that much headroom in Rory's game.

I'd love to see them head to head, both at their best, over the next several years. But I think if Tiger can get all the way back to his best, he'll eat Rory's lunch.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Depends on which Tiger he's referring to, the first round or third round.  He's got a good chance when Tiger isn't putting well, but otherwise my money is on Tiger.

I'm not calling him for the win (but I am pulling for him), and I don't know if his career will ever even approach Tiger-ness, but I like his attitude. He's got some serious balls.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I think it's the right thing to say, you need to show confidence in your abilities. And he isn't far back. In fact everyone within 5 shots still has a chance, if they play their absolute best. I have a feeling that one of the unknowns at -9 or -8 will make a charge and shoot a 65 (perhaps Gonnet). Then Tiger and Rock need good rounds to hold them back.

I like his attitude as well, and I think Rory is great for golf.  The statement puts a lot of pressure on himself as Tiger is out-driving him and seems to have his putter working pretty well right now.

I'm not calling him for the win (but I am pulling for him), and I don't know if his career will ever even approach Tiger-ness, but I like his attitude. He's got some serious balls.

Joe Paradiso

seriously, who does this Rob Rock guy think he is???  i mean, with his refusal to wear a cap or a visor?  and his little boy haircut and his wind swept locks??? and his devilishly rakish 3 day stubble and rugged good looks??  the nerve!!!  the lack of couth!!!!

WHO THE HELL DOES HE THINK HE IS!!!!!

lol...JK.  i know who he is.  and i hope Tiger stomps on his little non-hat wearing ass.

Colin P.

Golf Channel's coverage moved up an hour tonight; will start at 3AM EST. Tiger tees off at 2:45.

Thanks for the head's up!

Regarding Tiger/McIlroy:

Of course either one can win today.  They are both good enough to have low rounds when on their B+ or better game.  What is interesting to note so far is that Tiger has been more consistent through the three rounds and I attribute that to their club selection off the tee.  Tiger has hit 3 wood off of significantly more tees than Rory, who chooses to go with Driver a lot more.  Tiger has made some poor drives with the wood, ending up in the first cut of rough or the bunker, but never egregious, and still manages to be on the green in regulation or get up and down.  Rory drives it great and gives himself a birdie opportunity, and then has a couple bad ones and comes away with bogie every now and again.  Tiger just seems to take a more conservative approach, relying on his ability to lag putt well and hit his long irons well when necessary.  Rory seems to be more aggressive for the risk/reward approach.  Through 3 rounds it has served him well, but if he doesn't drive it well (long & straight) on Sunday I don't like his chances to catch Tiger, who may have less birdies, but will be likely setting his goal to have no bogies.

My 2 cents.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

As Tom Coughlin would say, "Talk is talk  Play the game."

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Originally Posted by colin007

seriously, who does this Rob Rock guy think he is???  i mean, with his refusal to wear a cap or a visor?  and his little boy haircut and his wind swept locks??? and his devilishly rakish 3 day stubble and rugged good looks??  the nerve!!!  the lack of couth!!!!

lol...JK.  i know who he is.  and i hope Tiger stomps on his little non-hat wearing ass.

Interesting little fact.  Robert Rock is the bastard son of non other than former college and NFL coach, NFL Analyst, and current Extenze spokesman Jimmy Johnson!

3371249861_c04aa386e1.jpg

DRIVER Taylormade R11S w/ Tour AD DI-7S 3 WOOD Taylormade R11S RIP Phenom Stiff 16.5 HYBRID Taylormade Rocketballz Tour Stiff IRONS 4-6 iron Taylormade MC w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff IRONS 7-PW Taylormade MB w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff WEDGES Titleist Vokey SM4 Black Nickel 52.12, 56.11, 60.10 PUTTER NIKE METHOD 001 33', Taylormade Ghost Spider 33' BAG ADIDAS AG Tour Stand Bag BALLS TITLEIST PRO-V1X SHOESADIDAS ADIPURE GPS SKYCADDIE SGX

Of course either one can win today.  They are both good enough to have low rounds when on their B+ or better game.  What is interesting to note so far is that Tiger has been more consistent through the three rounds and I attribute that to their club selection off the tee.  Tiger has hit 3 wood off of significantly more tees than Rory, who chooses to go with Driver a lot more.  Tiger has made some poor drives with the wood, ending up in the first cut of rough or the bunker, but never egregious, and still manages to be on the green in regulation or get up and down.  Rory drives it great and gives himself a birdie opportunity, and then has a couple bad ones and comes away with bogie every now and again.  Tiger just seems to take a more conservative approach, relying on his ability to lag putt well and hit his long irons well when necessary.  Rory seems to be more aggressive for the risk/reward approach.  Through 3 rounds it has served him well, but if he doesn't drive it well (long & straight) on Sunday I don't like his chances to catch Tiger, who may have less birdies, but will be likely setting his goal to have no bogies.

Can't disagree with any of that. It will be interesting to see if Tiger can maintain his improved driving under the pressure of playing in the final group on Sunday. One good sign is that he's birdied the first hole the last couple days --- even when he was winning all the time, he often hit a bad tee shot on his first hole of the day, so this may indicate that he's solved some mental hangups.

Interesting little fact.  Robert Rock is the bastard son of non other than former college and NFL coach, NFL Analyst, and current Extenze spokesman Jimmy Johnson!

I did not know that. I was pretty sure he wasn't related to Terry Bradshaw, though. :-)

Definitely pulling for Tiger here. It's hard not to.  He's been looking much more focused than last season and I'm hoping he can keep it up. Golf is more exciting with Tiger in the mix at the top of the leaderboard. (Not that you guys don't already know this)

I did not know that. I was pretty sure he wasn't related to Terry Bradshaw, though.

haha!!  yeah, rob rock has more hair than he knows what to do with...not jealous or anything...actually, yeah i am.  im as bald as bradshaw is.  and im only 32.

Colin P.

Yeah, if I had as much hair as Rob Rock to protect my scalp I wouldn't wear a hat either.

haha!!  yeah, rob rock has more hair than he knows what to do with...not jealous or anything...actually, yeah i am.  im as bald as bradshaw is.  and im only 32.

Joe Paradiso

LOL... Well said Sir!  Well said!!

This has been a fantastic tournament to watch... I'm surprised that Luke Donald isn't playing better than he is... 11 shots behind the leaders.  I was hoping he would hang tough with Rory and Tiger, but he has folded.

Note: This thread is 4463 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!