IGNORED

Bubba Watson Bought a New Car

Chilli Dipper
Note: This thread is 3154 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As far as I'm concerned, the debate as to whether the confederate flag is racist or simply represents Southern heritage and culture ends with this quote from William Thompson, designer of the confederate flag in 1863:

As a people we are fighting to maintain the heavenly ordained supremacy of the white man over the inferior or colored race; a white flag would thus be emblematical of our cause. Such a flag would be a suitable emblem of our young confederacy, and sustained by the brave hearts and strong arms of the south, it would soon take rank among the proudest ensigns of the nations, and be hailed by the civilized world as the white man's flag ."

But I wouldn't take the flag off the General Lee nor would I remove a Nazi insignia from a WWII relic.  Nor would I elevate something like the Duke's of Hazzard into something meaningful.  Let's face it, the flag is on top of the car because it looked cool . .not for any kind of symbolic reason.

Also, Bubba's an idiot.  I thought he was an idiot when he bought the car and I think he's an idiot now for changing the flag.  That's just my opinion, though.

• Upvote 2

As far as I'm concerned, the debate as to whether the confederate flag is racist or simply represents Southern heritage and culture ends with this quote from William Thompson, designer of the confederate flag in 1863:

“As a people we are fighting to maintain the heavenly ordained supremacy of the white man over the inferior or colored race; a white flag would thus be emblematical of our cause. Such a flag would be a suitable emblem of our young confederacy, and sustained by the brave hearts and strong arms of the south, it would soon take rank among the proudest ensigns of the nations, and be hailed by the civilized world as the white man's flag."

I no longer visit frequently or post on this forum due to philosophical differences I have with some folks on here but I had to come on to correct this dis-information.

Yes, William Thompson designed a confederate flag in 1863 (half-way through the war) and yes he said these words about it, but it was not the hotly debated battle flag that he designed or said these words about. It was the second national flag of the CSA government -which was mostly white-  that he designed to replace the first national flag of the CSA (the stars and bars) because that flag was said to too closely resemble the yankee flag in battle.

The battle flag on the other hand was desiged by William Miles shortly after SC seceded and was first adopted by General Beauregard after his confusion over the Stars and Bars almost cost the South the first battle of Manassas. The battle flag that Miles designed then became the Army of Northern Virginia Battle Flag and was also later used by the Army of Tennessee on the western front of the war.

Carry on here, just had to correct this. The media will continue their race baiting as the politicians keep trying to divide and conquer but I just wish more people knew history before deciding if an inanimate object somehow offends them.

• Upvote 3

I no longer visit frequently or post on this forum due to philosophical differences I have with some folks on here but I had to come on to correct this dis-information.

Ha ha ha. Philosophical differences. You hate Tiger Woods and think he'll never do anything good ever again and other people say wait and see nobody has ever really seen anyone like Tiger before so you can not compare him to others and that is now a philosophical difference. Good one. If the Confederate flag offends a lot of people then the only reason to hang it in government buildings etc. is offensive. If waving your hand became offensive and had a reason for it then it would be rude to keep doing it. Just like the Heil Hitler thing became a symbol of Nazis and the way they treated Jews so nobody just raises their arm on a 45 degree angle anymore.

• Upvote 1

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I no longer visit frequently or post on this forum due to philosophical differences I have with some folks on here but I had to come on to correct this dis-information. Yes, William Thompson designed a confederate flag in 1863 (half-way through the war) and yes he said these words about it, but it was not the hotly debated battle flag that he designed or said these words about. It was the second national flag of the CSA government -which was mostly white-  that he designed to replace the first national flag of the CSA (the stars and bars) because that flag was said to too closely resemble the yankee flag in battle. The battle flag on the other hand was desiged by William Miles shortly after SC seceded and was first adopted by General Beauregard after his confusion over the Stars and Bars almost cost the South the first battle of Manassas. The battle flag that Miles designed then became the Army of Northern Virginia Battle Flag and was also later used by the Army of Tennessee on the western front of the war. Carry on here, just had to correct this. The media will continue their race baiting as the politicians keep trying to divide and conquer but I just wish more people knew history before deciding if an inanimate object somehow offends them.

Good post. Anyone who gets under McGleno's skin is welcome here. Keep the posts coming.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Ha ha ha. Philosophical differences. You hate Tiger Woods and think he'll never do anything good ever again and other people say wait and see nobody has ever really seen anyone like Tiger before so you can not compare him to others and that is now a philosophical difference. Good one. If the Confederate flag offends a lot of people then the only reason to hang it in government buildings etc. is offensive. If waving your hand became offensive and had a reason for it then it would be rude to keep doing it. Just like the Heil Hitler thing became a symbol of Nazis and the way they treated Jews so nobody just raises their arm on a 45 degree angle anymore.

I generally tend to agree with your posts, but I'm not sure I even understand this one... [quote name="Gunther" url="/t/55277/bubba-watson-bought-a-new-car/0_100#post_1167103"] Good post. Anyone who gets under McGleno's skin is welcome here. Keep the posts coming.[/quote] Gunther being Gunther, whatever. :doh:

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I generally tend to agree with your posts, but I'm not sure I even understand this one... Gunther being Gunther, whatever. :doh:

I is what I is. ;-)

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Probably not until rappers get together and go to war to be able to enslave white people ;-)

BTW I don't think the show should be taken off the air or that Bubba "has to" change his car. Flying the flag on government public property is different than an individual flying the flag on their private property or using it artistically in a show.

I generally tend to agree with your posts, but I'm not sure I even understand this one...

The Confederate flag bit? Makes sense to me.  The flag represents a lot of terrible things to a lot of people. That probably wasn't the original intent of the flag but that's what it turned into.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

How about this: Bubba has fond memories of [i]The Dukes of Hazzard[/i] from his childhood, when he was too young to understand the history behind the Confederate battle flag. The intent of the flag on the roof of the General Lee was nothing but a lazy shorthand to identify these characters as Southerners; it had nothing to do with sedition or institutional racism. Bubba still loves the show, and the flag is only a vistigial element. Why shouldn't he paint over it?

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

How about this: Bubba has fond memories of The Dukes of Hazzard from his childhood, when he was too young to understand the history behind the Confederate battle flag. The intent of the flag on the roof of the General Lee was nothing but a lazy shorthand to identify these characters as Southerners; it had nothing to do with sedition or institutional racism. Bubba still loves the show, and the flag is only a vistigial element. Why shouldn't he paint over it?

Just paint the whole damn car pink and be done with it.

.... oh wait, that might associate him with those crazy left radicals calling themselves Code Pink.

Driver:  :nike:  Vapor Pro 9.5°  Wood & Hybrids : :nike:Covert Tour 13°, 18° & 21°
Irons & Wedges:
  :nike:  Covert 2.0  5i - AW,  :titleist:   56-14F,  60-07S
Putter:     :titleist:Newport Select
Balls:  :bridgestone: B330-RX

Quote:

Originally Posted by skydog

Ha ha ha. Philosophical differences. You hate Tiger Woods and think he'll never do anything good ever again and other people say wait and see nobody has ever really seen anyone like Tiger before so you can not compare him to others and that is now a philosophical difference.

Good one.

If the Confederate flag offends a lot of people then the only reason to hang it in government buildings etc. is offensive. If waving your hand became offensive and had a reason for it then it would be rude to keep doing it. Just like the Heil Hitler thing became a symbol of Nazis and the way they treated Jews so nobody just raises their arm on a 45 degree angle anymore.

What the hell does this have to do with the subject of his post, namely the fact that someone was citing a racist claiming the flag represented racism and the superiority of whites, but was talking about a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FLAG!!  He was factually correcting someone who intentionally or unintentionally misstated objective facts.

Or maybe this is just another case where any kind of falsehood or distortion is justified by the meme.

• Upvote 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

What the hell does this have to do with the subject of his post, namely the fact that someone was citing a racist claiming the flag represented racism and the superiority of whites, but was talking about a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FLAG!!  He was factually correcting someone who intentionally or unintentionally misstated objective facts.

Or maybe this is just another case where any kind of falsehood or distortion is justified by the meme.

What difference does it make? Regardless of when it was made or all of this other deflection, it represents rebellion against the US over the right to have slaves. All this other BS is used to cloud the issue.

The flag represents traitors to the US over slavery. All this 'heritage' BS is just that, except the 'heritage' is longing for the days of slavery and racism.

What difference does it make? Regardless of when it was made or all of this other deflection, it represents rebellion against the US over the right to have slaves. All this other BS is used to cloud the issue.

The flag represents traitors to the US over slavery. All this 'heritage' BS is just that, except the 'heritage' is longing for the days of slavery and racism.

I hate to mention this because I know how emotions flare on this subject, but the CSA flag and the Confederate Battle flag to some people represent an effort by their ancestors to defend their homeland against a Northern invader who would not allow them to secede from a union they had voluntarily joined and no longer wanted to be a part of.  When you read your history books remember who wrote them, the winner did.  I think one should also remember before they get to feeling the USA was so much more morally correct than the CSA that the USA flag flew over a slave abiding nation for over 80 years.  So ask yourself, why did the war occur at this time and not earlier in our history?  Politicians have not changed all that much over the years and you can bet the war was about more than just slavery.  But with a little study you can find that out for yourself.

Butch

I hate to mention this because I know how emotions flare on this subject, but the CSA flag and the Confederate Battle flag to some people represent an effort by their ancestors to defend their homeland against a Northern invader who would not allow them to secede from a union they had voluntarily joined and no longer wanted to be a part of.  When you read your history books remember who wrote them, the winner did.  I think one should also remember before they get to feeling the USA was so much more morally correct than the CSA that the USA flag flew over a slave abiding nation for over 80 years.  So ask yourself, why did the war occur at this time and not earlier in our history?  Politicians have not changed all that much over the years and you can bet the war was about more than just slavery.  But with a little study you can find that out for yourself.

Amen here. Almost every war has an agenda masquerading as protection of someone's civil rights.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Skydog posts a very informative and relevant post about what the flag really meant when it was adopted and this is your response?

I'm not sure what your issue is with Phil's post but if it three part was responding to skydog's relating to the part that was prefaced with a comment about no longer visit frequently or post on this forum due to philosophical differences he has with folks on here then it seems appropriate since that was the only part Phil quoted. Although, I had no issue with any part of Phil's post.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Perhaps it's just semantics but in my opinion, revolutionaries aren't the same as traitors. To me, a traitor is some one who aides or sells out to foreign interests. In many cases revolutionaries are in fact more patriotic than those they combat.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Perhaps it's just semantics but in my opinion, revolutionaries aren't the same as traitors. To me, a traitor is some one who aides or sells out to foreign interests. In many cases revolutionaries are in fact more patriotic than those they combat.

Vladimir Lenin...revolutionary, Benedict Arnold...traitor?

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

reread my last sentence

Bubba Watson is a bigot and a hypocrite. He is a disgrace to golf and humanity. If this pathetic person is an example of Christianity, you can have it. He is self-centered and actually told a your admirer to "leave him alone". He hides behind his so-called religion that he doesn't practice. A disgusting person. Perhaps the most disgusting piece of dung ever to play the tour. We can only hope that he fades quickly. The people who run The Masters have to be appalled at the little bigot that ended up being their champion. Ge makes me sick and I sent letters to Ping stating I won't use their products until they remove this cancer that is known as Bubba.

Bubba Watson is a bigot and a hypocrite. He is a disgrace to golf and humanity. If this pathetic person is an example of Christianity, you can have it. He is self-centered and actually told a your admirer to "leave him alone". He hides behind his so-called religion that he doesn't practice. A disgusting person. Perhaps the most disgusting piece of dung ever to play the tour. We can only hope that he fades quickly. The people who run The Masters have to be appalled at the little bigot that ended up being their champion. Ge makes me sick and I sent letters to Ping stating I won't use their products until they remove this cancer that is known as Bubba.

I hope you've met him and this opinion stems from your personal interaction with him, and not from the fact that he owns that (totally awesome, btw) car.

Note: This thread is 3154 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!