IGNORED

Ten Finger Grip

Note: This thread is 3754 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have always used the Ten finger grip.

I play to a +1.3 handicap so it has served me pretty well.

The question I had was whether anyone else who played the ten finger and then switched found a great improvement or maybe they found it made there game worse.

As you can tell I'm thinking about switching to an overlap but would love to get anybody's opionion on the move since part of me thinks if it aint broke dont fix it.

Thanks

Driver - Taylormade R9
3 Wood - Titlelist 909F2 15.5 degrees

2H - Nickent

4H - Taylormade
Irons - Mizuno MP-63 5-PW
Wedges - Titlelist 52 and 60 and Cleveland CG-15 56
Putter - Scotty Cameron Stainless Steel NewportBall - Pro V or V1

If you play to a legit +0.5 to +1.3, why the hell would you change your grip?!

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When I reach +1, I plan on switching to left handed.

Originally Posted by mdl

If you play to a legit +0.5 to +1.3, why the hell would you change your grip?!

• Upvote 1

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Absolutely. Why would you change if you're that good?

The only difference I found when I moved from ten finger to overlap is that I have an easier time knowing where my hands are in relation to each other as there are more 'markers' (knuckles, seams on the glove etc) with an overlap. With ten finger I found myself occasionally having the right hand a little to strong or weak or varying between the two.

+0.5 to +1.3 though, don't change. Ever.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Good news - I too use the 10 finger grip - never heard of anybody that good using it (it usually gets talked down on) ... this gives me confidence.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Thanks for the compliments guys.  Yeah I never have had a lesson so I just picked up the club as a kid with the baseball grip and went from there.

I read in one of Harvey Pennicks Books that Tommy Armour Senior said that the ten finger grip should be taught to all amateurs because it promotes a stronger more assured grip.

Think I stick with it.

Driver - Taylormade R9
3 Wood - Titlelist 909F2 15.5 degrees

2H - Nickent

4H - Taylormade
Irons - Mizuno MP-63 5-PW
Wedges - Titlelist 52 and 60 and Cleveland CG-15 56
Putter - Scotty Cameron Stainless Steel NewportBall - Pro V or V1

I use the ten-finger and went to the range yesterday and hit about 100 balls with the overlap.  It felt foreign to me and I guess that If I want to change it will take some time.  Hell, life is short enough.  I think I'll stay with what I know.

I started out with the 10-finger and then switched to the interlock.  I found the interlock to be a much more secure grip that did a better job of locking my hands together.  Usually you only want to use the 10-finger if you have small hands or arent very strong.

The vast majority of tour pros use either the interlock or overlap grip.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by Bluenoser67

I have always used the Ten finger grip.

I play to a +1.3 handicap so it has served me pretty well.

The question I had was whether anyone else who played the ten finger and then switched found a great improvement or maybe they found it made there game worse.

As you can tell I'm thinking about switching to an overlap but would love to get anybody's opionion on the move since part of me thinks if it aint broke dont fix it.

Thanks

granted I am a beginner, but I have tried switching between grip styles on the range and on the course and for the life of me I cant see any difference in what happens with the ball...it does the exact same thing with all 3 grip types.

The only reason I stick with the standard overlapping is that the split grip as someone called it to me, makes me think about my right hand too much. And the interlocking grip hurts the hell out of a couple of my fingers after a while. The overlapping is just more comfortable for me.

If youre playing that good I personally wouldnt change it.

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

I started out with the 10-finger and then switched to the interlock.  I found the interlock to be a much more secure grip that did a better job of locking my hands together.  Usually you only want to use the 10-finger if you have small hands or arent very strong.

The vast majority of tour pros use either the interlock or overlap grip.

Interlocking definitely seems to have a much better hold on the club. I have long fingers and for some reason they hurt like hell after a round if I use interlocking. I wish they didnt because I tried that grip for a while and loved it except for the pain afterward.

Originally Posted by Golfs-for-Fun

Interlocking definitely seems to have a much better hold on the club. I have long fingers and for some reason they hurt like hell after a round if I use interlocking. I wish they didnt because I tried that grip for a while and loved it except for the pain afterward.

You could try the overlap and see how that works for you.  It offers as much grip security as the interlock but your hands arent quite as locked together.  You might want to stick with the interlock though, it could be that the muscles in your hand simply arent used to being locked together like that and they just need some time to develop and get stronger.

Ive got pretty strong forearms and hands due to doing factory work and playing golf almost every day, so it doesnt bother me but I could see someone who has more of an office job not being as strong as I am and it bothering their hands.

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

What is the mechanical difference between the 3 types of grips being discussed (baseball, overlap, interlock)? I understand it's preference, but there has to be a pro and con to each one depending on your golf game. For example, I've heard before the people that hook use interlock because it's harder to get their hands through and doesn't let them hook as easily...

Not sure if there is much difference mechanically in the swing. I think its mostly to do with feel. I think that feel effects the swing differently for each person.

For me if i tried a 10 finger grip, it would feel like my hands have more freedom, especially the right hand. Then if i move to the overlap, grans a bit less freedom to the right hand. Finally the interlocking is the most restrictive on the right hand. This is what i feel in the swing for me.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by JohnQVegas

What is the mechanical difference between the 3 types of grips being discussed (baseball, overlap, interlock)? I understand it's preference, but there has to be a pro and con to each one depending on your golf game. For example, I've heard before the people that hook use interlock because it's harder to get their hands through and doesn't let them hook as easily...

From what I was always taught, 10-finger is best if you have weaker or small hands because it allows you to get your fingers around the grip better but it can be bad because it does a poor job of locking your hands together so that they work together.

Overlap is a good option because it isnt quite as firm as the interlock, so its easier to release the club.  Of course, that can be a bad thing if you tend to hook the ball because its easier to release the club too soon, shut the face and hook the ball.

Interlock is a good option because it really locks your hands together and makes them work together but it can make it more difficult to release the club.

IMO, there isnt a huge differrence between interlock and overlap and its really more a matter of personal preference.  Ive used both in the past and IMO its really more a matter of feel.

I might have to agree with over lap to interlocking. I think overlap is a bit less restrictive, that interlocking, but not by much. Not sure on the whole bigger hands deal. Unless you have really really small hands, you should be able to find a golf grip that fits.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by saevel25

I might have to agree with over lap to interlocking. I think overlap is a bit less restrictive, that interlocking, but not by much. Not sure on the whole bigger hands deal. Unless you have really really small hands, you should be able to find a golf grip that fits.

I was always taught that 10-finger is better for women and kids for that reason.  I tried it and actually used it when I first started playing golf but found that it allowed my hands to work independently too much.

Note: This thread is 3754 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!