IGNORED

Do I need X-flex

Note:Β This thread is 4463 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Well I'm debating right now on whether or not I need x-flex. I've been working in a pro shop for about 5 months now so I've learned a pretty good share about fitting people in that time. The thing is most people I fit are people with more average swing speeds (not to say that mines blazing fast but I do believe it's above average.) so I never really know where the line is with faster swing speeds. I don't know exactly what my speed it but I know that I can get up to 160 ish ball speed which I would think would put me around 106-109ish in swing speed? I do struggle with control a little bit as sometimes the ball does leak left on me. (I'm a lefty) I'm going to be getting a new driver and 3 wood here soon so I'm wondering if I should up the stiffness.

It really depends on the shaft itself, and on your swing. I'd say that, unless you have an aggressive swing tempo, don't expect an X flex to work best for you. You're borderline, so it can't hurt to try it out, but don't invest big money into a shaft unless you can try it out.

If you want more control, consider a stiff flex with a low torque rating, or a heavier one. Certain models, especially low launch and low spin models, play a bit stiffer.

Also, different brands have different definitions of flexes. Aldila, for example, recommends 110+mph for an x flex, while some brands will recommend as little as 100. Plenty of players with 120mph SS play an untipped X flex, so it is built to handle quite a lot of force in many cases.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putterΒ 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Definitely go with the X flex. Im 18 and working at golfsmith as well as playing collegiate golf next year. My swing speed is 116 and i was fit to the Aldila RIP X flex alpha. the fitting chart we use for our custom fittings at golfsmith is quite accurate. It says that with a swing speed of 85-95, a regular shaft is recommended. 95-105 is stiff, and anything above 105 is x. Id be willing to bet that your standard miss is very high and right because your driver shaft is too flexible. if what you're saying is true and your average is 106-109 then a lighter weight x flex shaft is what i would suggest. Some inexpensive ones to try would be aldilas. i know the aldila NV x flex comes in 60 grams (relatively lightweight for a driver) and can be purchased online for less than $50. Give it a try, cant hurt.

What I play-

Β 

Driver: Titleist 910 D3 8.5 degrees, aldila rip 70 X

3 wood: Titleist 910 F 13.5 degrees, aldila rip 70 X

2 iron: Mizuno mp fli-high 18 degrees, DG x100 shaft

4-PW: Titleist 712 mb

52: 2010 vokey 8 bounce

56: Taylormade rac smoke 12 bounce

60: Taylormade rac smoke 7 bounce

putter: scotty cameron newport 2

my apologies i meant high and left. Forgot you were lefty ;)

What I play-

Β 

Yea I was lookin to get the Diamana Kai ' li. I don't know if it would be better to get a stiff 70 or 80g shaft or an x with a 60g. I can't find any place around my area that has any demos with x or any clubs on display to tape up that are x and a left handed. If you go to the members swings section you should be able to see mine. I've got a couple videos up in there. I'm not really swingin out of my shoes in Β any of them more trying to take an easy swing and correct the issues I was having that day. The 2 with a hybrid in there were high and left so your dead right on that one but I feel those two were more me than the club.

A common misconception about driver shafts is that the weight of the shaft affects stiffness. Shaft weight is entirely feel. Sergio garcia plays with a 105 gram shaft, and a few cleveland staff players like david toms use as light as 55, but they are both extra stiff. Sergio claims he cann feel the clubhead more and is more confident with it. So that part is entirely up to you. with a lighter weight shaft you will be able to swing faster, meaning that a 60 gram x flex would most likely be a better choice. the 70 or 80 gram diamana stiff would cause your swing speed to drop very slightly and your spin numbers would increase a lot. So fool around with what weight shaft you prefer (i use 70 in the driver and 80 in the 3 wood) and then go from there. Shaft flex primarily affects ball flight and spin. so if you would like a lower penetrating ball flight, go with the 60 x.

P.S the kai'li is a great shaft but dont rule out companies like matrix, aldila, and evenΒ less expensive optionsΒ like graffaloy

What I play-

Β 

Yea I'm really wanting that R11s driver but I might just hold out on it for a while. We're getting the full line of Ping and Titleist equipment and full fitting stations for both in a couple months where I work. All we've got right now is a Taylormade Iron fitting station. So I might just wait until we get those fitting stations in so I can experiment with some different shafts.

Cant go wrong with the titleist 910 series, but let me tell you what. I got to do a pre-view hitting of the Ping I-20... its awesome

What I play-

Β 

I am as well. tmag connection is where its at

What I play-

Β 

I am as well. tmag connection is where its at

What I play-

Β 

Yea it's pretty sweet. I don't know if it's just me but it seems like they've always got some kind of glitch or issue on that site though. It's been down a few times in the past couple months and they always seem to have some kind of issue with the store. Things like the discount not applying or the inability to add things to your cart. Really glad they finally got the Pentas up on there though. Love those things.

Well I went to Edwin Watts today to try out the R11s since my store doesn't have it in a lefty. I definitely liked it better than the R11. The launch monitor was reading me anywhere from 103-111 swing speed and ball speed up to 158. My spin was ridiculous. I'm not sure how accurate that machine was on my spin. It was saying my spin rate was in the 4000 area. I didn't even know that was possible. I asked the guy helping me if he thought the Kai'li would be a good fit for me and he said the 'ahina would probably be better but he seemed to think that a fubuki would be the best for me. I looked up the fubuki alpha which is the only shaft from the fubuki line that's offered on the R11s and it was saying that it was pretty much in the same area of the kai'li in terms of kick point and torque. Pretty much what I took away from it was that the 'ahina 60g in X would be what I need. Anyone got some input for me?

Unless you are losing shots the right, I highly doubt you need X flex.Β  If you were pushing all your shots Id say then maybe but unless you are crushing your drives 350 yards then you dont need x flex.

Just an opinion.

Whats in my :sunmountain:Β C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno:Β JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno:Β JPX 850Β 15*, :mizuno:Β JPX-850 19*, :mizuno:Β JPX Fli-Hi #4,Β :mizuno:Β JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno:Β MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland:Β Smart Square BladeΒ and :bridgestone:Β B330-S

Originally Posted by gordo865

Well I went to Edwin Watts today to try out the R11s since my store doesn't have it in a lefty. I definitely liked it better than the R11. The launch monitor was reading me anywhere from 103-111 swing speed and ball speed up to 158. My spin was ridiculous. I'm not sure how accurate that machine was on my spin. It was saying my spin rate was in the 4000 area. I didn't even know that was possible. I asked the guy helping me if he thought the Kai'li would be a good fit for me and he said the 'ahina would probably be better but he seemed to think that a fubuki would be the best for me. I looked up the fubuki alpha which is the only shaft from the fubuki line that's offered on the R11s and it was saying that it was pretty much in the same area of the kai'li in terms of kick point and torque. Pretty much what I took away from it was that the 'ahina 60g in X would be what I need. Anyone got some input for me?

How were you able to try out an R11s? Β They dont come out until February 3rd.

taylormade.gifR11S 9* Driver Aldila RIP Phenom 60 R Flex

taylormade.gifRBZ 3W 15* Matrix Ozik XCon-5 R Flex
taylormade.gif'11 Rescue Hybrids 3 (18*), 4 (21*) Aldila RIP 65 HB R Flex
taylormade.gifR11 5-PW KBS Steel R Flex |Β taylormade.gifTP XFT 52* 56* 60* KBS Steel

cameron.gifΒ California Coronado 35" |Β ogio.gifΒ Grom Black Plaid Bag |Β Β Penta TP

Β 

Note:Β This thread is 4463 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!