IGNORED

Robert Rock Golf Swing

iacas
Note: This thread is 2454 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Funny bit from Charlie Wi here when someone mentions Robert Rock and Charlie forgets the question because he's thinking about how good Rock's swing is.

• Upvote 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

Funny bit from Charlie Wi here when someone mentions Robert Rock and Charlie forgets the question because he's thinking about how good Rock's swing is.

That's hilarious!  You know Charlie has had a few conversations with Andy about Rock

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Here's a recent one with a little commentary by Dana

Mike McLoughlin

He has masking tape down the middle of his back to show his spine action, doesn't he? OMG so, so golf nerdy!

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Stretch

He has masking tape down the middle of his back to show his spine action, doesn't he? OMG so, so golf nerdy!

There's a chance it might be the design of the shirt. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

That's what I thought at first, but it looks like it ends an inch or so above the belt. Hard to tell for sure. Either way, marvelously illustrative!

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

• 2 months later...

Originally Posted by Stretch

That's what I thought at first, but it looks like it ends an inch or so above the belt. Hard to tell for sure. Either way, marvelously illustrative!

And it shows how well he maintains his tape level in the downswing.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

• 3 weeks later...
I've watched Robert rock hit hundreds of golf balls at doral this year. His swing is silky smooth to say the least. He hits a mid trajectory cp cut. About a one yard pull fade with EVERY CLUB IN HIS BAG. I watched him on the front nine on sunay this year and he was 5 under through 7 holes until he doubled 8. As you would think with a cp cut pattern, distanc is not his forte. According to that chart earlier in this thread he's lost distance every year since 2006. How do you think he adjusts to hitting driver? His attack angle has to be too negative for optimal launch conditions. While he was playing, I noticed that downwind with a left to right wind he flat out bombs it, he hit multiple 330 yard drives with the wind at his back or a left to right one. However, into the wind he hits it nowhere relative to the other guys on your. He hit one 260 and another 265. It think that he plays to his strength, which is probably short irons, and wedges. He isn't what I would call a big guy, probably 5 10, maybe 5 1,1 6 feet. So again, what do you think he can do to increase his driving distance while maintaining one fantastic alignments? Physical fitness? Setup changes?

Originally Posted by miami8miami

I've watched Robert rock hit hundreds of golf balls at doral this year. His swing is silky smooth to say the least. He hits a mid trajectory cp cut. About a one yard pull fade with EVERY CLUB IN HIS BAG.

I watched him on the front nine on sunay this year and he was 5 under through 7 holes until he doubled 8.

As you would think with a cp cut pattern, distanc is not his forte. According to that chart earlier in this thread he's lost distance every year since 2006.

How do you think he adjusts to hitting driver? His attack angle has to be too negative for optimal launch conditions. While he was playing, I noticed that downwind with a left to right wind he flat out bombs it, he hit multiple 330 yard drives with the wind at his back or a left to right one. However, into the wind he hits it nowhere relative to the other guys on your. He hit one 260 and another 265. It think that he plays to his strength, which is probably short irons, and wedges. He isn't what I would call a big guy, probably 5 10, maybe 5 1,1 6 feet.

So again, what do you think he can do to increase his driving distance while maintaining one fantastic alignments? Physical fitness? Setup changes?

Rock has a swing built on consistency, and hits his driver like his irons. It's not great for distance but hitting up at a teed ball, driving with his legs, and going through the ball with more power, combined with appropriate equipment, would make his drives much longer. Watch Bubba squat and jump through the ball, he shows that move more than most. With the wind, obviously a high cut with more backspin will get out there, but he gets hurt into the wind more. Most pros hit 300+ yard drives a fair bit of the time, when they have a downhill tee shot with a helping wind and fast fairways. Watch the pros play Kapalua sometime, that course has some 600 yard par 5s but many players can think about reaching them. Guys like DJ and Bubba can get over 360 on holes like that in the right conditions.

He could move towards optimal launch, but it would be a totally different setup and swing and would throw off his timing versus having a single method. He chooses to go with what he's doing because he doesn't need the distance and can't afford to lose consistency. He's choosing to play a simpler game and that's why his swing is so grooved.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Rock's been working on changing the things to help get his driver numbers better.  CP does not work for a driver.  From what I've heard from former MORAD guys, Mac never CP'd a driver, some say he never played a CP pattern in tournaments.  Set-up adjustments would be to play the ball much further forward and align the baseline more to the right.  I think his biggest weakness is that he hits it too low for most of the American courses.  CP isn't a reliable pattern for today's equipment.  Looks great, absolutely but not practical.

Mike McLoughlin

Why wouldn't it be practical? i think you can play great golf as robert rock has shown, so has Hunter Mahan. Maybe Robert Rock just deals with the fact that he'll only hit his driver 280, 285. with no wind, which i wouldnt mind.

Looking at the eurotour stats, it looks like he is an average putter and scrambler. And for a guy with his distance you would expect slightly better driver accuracy.   Give him Luke Donald's putting and short game and he would be a world top 10 guy.

Originally Posted by miami8miami

i agree completely. He's picking apart golf courses by throwing darts at pins.

Maybe its a different part of his game thats keeping him from bigger things...

Originally Posted by x129

Looking at the eurotour stats, it looks like he is an average putter and scrambler. And for a guy with his distance you would expect slightly better driver accuracy.   Give him Luke Donald's putting and short game and he would be a world top 10 guy.

Well, that's true of almost any player. Luke Donald himself is actually quite mediocre at driving and ballstriking and he'd never keep his card without his inhuman short game, yet has been #1 or #2 in the world for most of the last year.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Note: This thread is 2454 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!