IGNORED

Who's Meltdown was worse, Stanley or Levin?

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4446 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Who Had the Bigger Meltdown?

• Spencer Levin
    • Kyle Stanley
    • They were equally bad

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

Ditto. Snowmen will be snowmen, but Van de Velde and Garrigus had a higher meltdown flamboyance factor.

Originally Posted by colin007

ha!  great term, you should make it into an acronym.  "That dude had a really high MFF in the final round..."  LOL!

Originally Posted by iacas

Oh, and MFF means different things to different people. Just sayin'.

MFF...love it. It's like Liberace or Elton John compared to Harry Connick. They all play piano, but the former have slightly more flamboyance than the latter. If you're going to go down in flames, make it memorable. No one will forget the Van de Velde fiasco, but I feel that Stanley and maybe Garrigus will not be included in these conversations in a few years.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Quote:

Ditto. Snowmen will be snowmen, but Van de Velde and Garrigus had a higher meltdown flamboyance factor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin007

ha!  great term, you should make it into an acronym.  "That dude had a really high MFF in the final round..."  LOL!

Quote:

Originally Posted by iacas

Oh, and MFF means different things to different people. Just sayin'.

MFF...love it. It's like Liberace or Elton John compared to Harry Connick. They all play piano, but the former have slightly more flamboyance than the latter. If you're going to go down in flames, make it memorable. No one will forget the Van de Velde fiasco, but I feel that Stanley and maybe Garrigus will not be included in these conversations in a few years.

Garrigus will always be remembered for that finish, but maybe not for the triple bogey.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Garrigus will always be remembered for that finish, but maybe not for the triple bogey.

I did say maybe, but I have to agree with you on that.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Where will Charlie Wi's meltdown rank among the other two blown leads? Does it matter that he finished okay? Does it erase the abomination that was his 55th hole? I think it does somewhat, but I could be wrong.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Was mentioned earlier, but Wi had a massive brain fart coming out of the gate, but he shot -4 for his last 12 holes.  First tee jitters, compounded by a big overnight lead, that exploded on the first green (those putts weren't exactly uphill tap-ins, BTW).  But then he settled down and would have won if Phil hadn't shot 64.  I don't think you can credit Wi as having a "meltdown" when he is +4 for his first 6 holes and -4 the remainder of the day.

Also, calling Wi's performance a "meltdown" really would detract from Phil's brilliant 64.  Phil was not handed anything on Sunday.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Where will Charlie Wi's meltdown rank among the other two blown leads? Does it matter that he finished okay? Does it erase the abomination that was his 55th hole? I think it does somewhat, but I could be wrong.

That wasn't a meltdown. That was a 4-putt on the first green, followed by playing two under on the last 17.

It was a shaky start that he corrected.

Originally Posted by k-troop

Was mentioned earlier, but Wi had a massive brain fart coming out of the gate, but he shot -4 for his last 12 holes.  First tee jitters, compounded by a big overnight lead, that exploded on the first green (those putts weren't exactly uphill tap-ins, BTW).  But then he settled down and would have won if Phil hadn't shot 64.  I don't think you can credit Wi as having a "meltdown" when he is +4 for his first 6 holes and -4 the remainder of the day.

Also, calling Wi's performance a "meltdown" really would detract from Phil's brilliant 64.  Phil was not handed anything on Sunday.

Plus 4 after 6 is maybe just a hiccup on the way to an over par round, but you could say "player X who shot over par could have held onto his lead if player Y hadn't shot so well" almost every week on the PGA Tour, so that's out (imho).

Plus 4 after 6 is maybe just a hiccup on the way to an over par round, but you could say "player X who shot over par could have held onto his lead if player Y hadn't shot so well" almost every week on the PGA Tour, so that's out (imho).

I think what you're saying is shooting EVEN for the day isn't a meltdown, and the fact that Phil shot a brilliant 64 to come from 6 shots back and win doesn't make Charlie Wi's EVEN par round a meltdown.  Which is basically what I said, so yes--I agree.

Kevin

Quote:

I think what you're saying is shooting EVEN for the day isn't a meltdown, and the fact that Phil shot a brilliant 64 to come from 6 shots back and win doesn't make Charlie Wi's EVEN par round a meltdown.  Which is basically what I said, so yes--I agree.

Yes, even par, sorry. He could have choked / melted down, but righted the ship and got home in EVEN par.

Even so he had the second worse round out of anyone in the top ten and if he had 4 putt the last hole we would call it a meltdown. The fact that he did it out of the gate and then had 2 more bogeys and ended up even with a 3 birdie finish puts the redemption piece in the same round so to speak, whereas Spencer and Levin had to wait a week for a chance for redemption. It was a nice way to finish and took the sting out of the first hole.

Even so he had the second worse round out of anyone in the top ten.

Slightly misleading stat.  He had the best round of those who started the day in the top three.

Kevin

Note: This thread is 4446 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!