IGNORED

Tiger Wants to Ban the Long Putter

brocks
Note: This thread is 4103 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The playing field is level. Anyone who wants to can use a long putter.

Originally Posted by Dewdman42

ban it, keep everyone on the same playing field.

I can "anchor" my arm against my side and swing the putter with the opposite hand...........same principle as longer shafted putters. Using an anchor point to stabilize the swing. Don't need to put the club against the body at all.

Should have been discussed by the USGA BEFORE it became popular......not AFTER.  However, I dislike the idea of a "long-wedge" for chipping. Discuss it NOW before it gets popular.

Originally Posted by Kingkat1954

I can "anchor" my arm against my side and swing the putter with the opposite hand...........same principle as longer shafted putters. Using an anchor point to stabilize the swing. Don't need to put the club against the body at all.

Should have been discussed by the USGA BEFORE it became popular......not AFTER.  However, I dislike the idea of a "long-wedge" for chipping. Discuss it NOW before it gets popular.

Well, technically your arm is already anchored to your body, so I'm having trouble picturing this technique.  Do you mean tucking your elbow into your side or something?

Regarding the chipping wedge, I'd find it unlikely that they could ban one (chest chipper) and not the other (belly putter).

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Yea I did it for a while as a young player. Held my right arm, I am LH, against my side, tucked in and held the putter in my right hand and moved putter with left hand only. Was told by a few "older gentlemen" that THAT was NOT the way to putt!

But seriously..........................ban the long putter? I think its too late.

I watched some of the coverage of the Arnold Palmer Invitational, and during the commentary Mr. Palmer himself said any anchoring of the putter to the body should be banned. He also noted that, as it was still legal, he'd use a long putter if he was competing.

FWIW, I'm with Tiger and Arnie - golf was never supposed to be played as it is with a belly or long putter. Ban them.

Originally Posted by Brian Fergusson

I watched some of the coverage of the Arnold Palmer Invitational, and during the commentary Mr. Palmer himself said any anchoring of the putter to the body should be banned. He also noted that, as it was still legal, he'd use a long putter if he was competing.

FWIW, I'm with Tiger and Arnie - golf was never supposed to be played as it is with a belly or long putter. Ban them.

I bet you if somebody started a "Arnie says ban the long putter" thread, it would look a lot different than this one .

Brandon

• Upvote 1

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I bet you if somebody started a "Arnie says ban the long putter" thread, it would look a lot different than this one :-) .

And how about Arnie faking that blood pressure thing? He walked to his doctor's house, for crying out loud.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I just read in one of the UK golfing magazines that a manufacturer plans to introduce a long wedge for chipping.  It's designed to anchor to the body like the long putter and intended to simplify chipping.

Good.  That will be the straw that breaks the R&A;'s and USGA's back and forces them to take action.

• Upvote 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by brocks

And how about Arnie faking that blood pressure thing? He walked to his doctor's house, for crying out loud.

WHAT??????????????   He was hospitalized for chrissakes!!    Last time I checked, they don't make a habit of hospitalizing people for faking an illness...............

• Upvote 1

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Originally Posted by brocks

When you own the hospital, they do what they're told.

Not to be argumentative but Arnold Palmer Hospital is a children's hospital....

High blood pressure is not something to brush off lightly.  Especially for someone 82 years old.  If his situation did not warrant a stay in the hospital, I doubt a doctor would recommend admittance, regardless of who owns the hospital.   I am also certain he could afford to have a doctor treat him at home if a hospital stay was not the best course of action.......

• Upvote 1

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

WHAT??????????????   He was hospitalized for chrissakes!!    Last time I checked, they don't make a habit of hospitalizing people for faking an illness...............

It was widely reported that he was faking chest pains as soon as Tiger reached the 15 th tee. He is well known for pulling stunts like this and was angry that his comments about long putters were taken out of context. He was photographed laughing with doctors and returned to the clubhouse when he was told that Tiger had gone. He was quoted as saying that he hates Tiger and doesn't care what he thinks. He said "6 was too much and winning this 7 times was an insult which I took personally." Do you seriously think that Brocks was serious?

• Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

What if they rule, the USGA and the R&A;, that a player cannot "anchor" the club against the body while attempting to commit a stroke?

What if the player merely "anchors" his arm against his body and then manufactures a swing with a putter? Holding it by the hand with his arm firmly against his body?

This should NOT be about the LENGTH of a club, but HOW it is utilized during the stroke.

If they ban "too long" putters, then what would constitute a "too short" putter?

Palmer said to ban use against anchoring to the body...... NOT necessarily  the length.

• Upvote 1

I think the rule should be that only your hands can touch the club.  I don't care how long the putter is, just can't touch any other part of your body.  If someone wants a putter as tall as them, that is fine.  Just use your hands and nothing else. That should take care of all anchoring putters, but still allow for the long putters.

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:
Driver: :cleveland:  Hi-Bore XLS
Irons: :cleveland:  CCi 3i-PW
Wedges: :nike:  VR V-Rev Cast Black-Satin
Putter: :ping:  IC 20-10A

Originally Posted by RichWW2

I think the rule should be that only your hands can touch the club.  I don't care how long the putter is, just can't touch any other part of your body.  If someone wants a putter as tall as them, that is fine.  Just use your hands and nothing else. That should take care of all anchoring putters, but still allow for the long putters.

That won't satisfy the long putter haters. As someone who uses a 43-inch putter, I have tried anchoring by having the butt of the shaft touch the belly button area and also by holding it with an anchored left hand (I'm right handed) touching the chest, and the putter shaft not touching the chest. It's my experience that the second method is better because your hand is stable yet pivots while your belly button/stomach area moves at least slightly no matter how flat bellied you are.

Note: This thread is 4103 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!