IGNORED

Tiger Wants to Ban the Long Putter

brocks
Note: This thread is 4098 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There have been lots of innovations in golf equipment that have benefitted all golfers, like Sarazen inventing the sand wedge, as k-troop pointed out. If the long putter helps out a guy with the yips or a bad back, frankly I don't understand what the problem is. Let them use it as far as I'm concerned. I don't know what the exact stats are, but I don't think the guys using the long putter are winning everything in sight and taking advantage of the fact that long putters, while still legal, don't represent the "spirit" of the game. What's next? Ban the 64* lob wedge because Phil can hit shots with it that nobody else can, therefore giving him an unfair advantage?
  • Upvote 1

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

The way Tiger has been playing, I think he should use it… Maybe he'll win again.

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

Cats way out of the bag on anchoring the putter.  This was an argument for the mid 80s.  I think Mike Davis knows that he is too far behind the 8 ball on this one.  A few things to consider;

1.  The fact it has been around for way too long (oh yeah, the Al Gore of Golf, Johnny Miller, said he invented it in the 70s)

2.  Manufacturers are making a killing off it (the grooves issue was a joke and the USGA lost that one as the players adapted to a non-issue and only spun the golf worlds wheels for no reason)

3.  The game needs players and the tech for drivers, hybrids, and especially balls (switched from ProV1 to ProV1x recently..the ball is seriously juiced) has made golf more manageable for the masses.

4.  any change at this point would have to make the argument for Bifurcation(sp), separate rules for pros and amateurs, a road the USGA and R&A; really do not want to go down.

5.  Look at the leaderboard, don't see a huge impact (Kuch uses it a different way).  It only makes a horrible putter average (yours truly), a great putter will not like the lack of feel.

Just my two cents.

Originally Posted by SVTGolfer

The way Tiger has been playing, I think he should use it… Maybe he'll win again.

I seem to remember him having a pretty convincing win a couple of weeks back..

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

• 2 weeks later...

Originally Posted by Jmdmbike

There have been lots of innovations in golf equipment that have benefitted all golfers, like Sarazen inventing the sand wedge, as k-troop pointed out. If the long putter helps out a guy with the yips or a bad back, frankly I don't understand what the problem is. Let them use it as far as I'm concerned. I don't know what the exact stats are, but I don't think the guys using the long putter are winning everything in sight and taking advantage of the fact that long putters, while still legal, don't represent the "spirit" of the game. What's next? Ban the 64* lob wedge because Phil can hit shots with it that nobody else can, therefore giving him an unfair advantage?

I don't think that's really the point. It's the mere fact that it anchors to your body. I don't know, personaclly I cannot see how it was ever even considered to be allowed. Not to say that everyone using one is dominating golf. It just seems wrong to me. What's to stop you using one of those swing aids during your round. Anchor your elbows or anything of the like to help your swing stay on plane or whatever the case may be.

I don't like the belly putter. Anchoring to the body is a no-no for me. The yips are there for all of us to deal with.

There was no study about croquet putting. The story goes that Bobby Jones saw Sam Snead doing that at Augusta one year, and snorted, "That's not golf," and the USGA whipped out a rule change shortly thereafter.

That is a fascinating bit of trivia to me, as an ex-competitive croquet player in England in the 80's (clubs in the south). I agree with Jones, golf and croquet should not be mixed. As to the issue at hand, I'm not sure where I stand. The purist in me agrees with Tiger, the old fogey in me goes with the belly putter. Not that I've ever used one myself. Maybe I should, my putting still stinks ....

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

I just read in one of the UK golfing magazines that a manufacturer plans to introduce a long wedge for chipping.  It's designed to anchor to the body like the long putter and intended to simplify chipping.

And so it begins...

The good news is we have time to prepare many merciless insults to use while playing with someone so useless they'd need to anchor a wedge (or more likely a chipper).

hmmm, think of the effect on % fwys hit of anchoring my driver ....

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

• 1 month later...

this thread: the 8th great wonder of the world! I mean seriously, I'm impressed. This is the shit, rabble rousers can only dream of, well done to the starter of this thread!

"It's better to burn out than to fade away." -Kurt Cobain

Should ban it in my opinion. Call me what you want but if any of Tiger's legendary putts had been made with a belly putter they would've looked half as legendary. It just doesn't look very good. It's really boring to watch someone with a long putter putt... You'll never see Phil, Tiger, Rory, Luke, Lee, ever using a belly putter or anything else. I hate them, look like crap and ruin putting for me when I see players using them...

Adam Scott is the worst

Originally Posted by SamCreamer

Should ban it in my opinion. Call me what you want but if any of Tiger's legendary putts had been made with a belly putter they would've looked half as legendary. It just doesn't look very good. It's really boring to watch someone with a long putter putt... You'll never see Phil, Tiger, Rory, Luke, Lee, ever using a belly putter or anything else. I hate them, look like crap and ruin putting for me when I see players using them...

Adam Scott is the worst

This logic just doesn't work.  The same basic things could have been said about oversize drivers a decade ago, and most of us have adopted drivers exceeding 400ccs.

The physics behind the a long putter are superior to a traditional putter... they make poor putters and strong putters better alike.  Most golfers make a more repeatable stroke with a long putter, and accuracy is improved due to the fixed handle.  It seems illegal... and it probably should be.

Go ahead and exchange "long putter" with "460cc modern driver" and the statement above is identically appropriate.  Multi-materials, moving weights, increased MOI, greater COR... it's all very similar.  Hating the long putter because it's mechanically superior, or worse, 'looks bad' is just plain silly.

Until it's banned by the USGA, putting with the putter anchored will make putting easier for the vast majority of players.  I believe that this argument is valid.  I've played for years with a traditional putter or all shapes, styles and brands... I've also struggled for years to consistently make those clutch 6-5' putts.

With a long putter, my index has dropped by 0.5 while I'm consistently making 3-4 more putts per round (I'm hitting the ball marginally lately).  It feels unfair, because in my humble opinion, it is unfair.  It's simply a more mechanically sound way to roll the ball and make putts.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

I disagree that you can say it's the same thing as larger driver heads. Not even close.

A belly putter anchors the putter to your body. I see it the same as using a training aid during a competition. You might as well put on some fancy device to keep your elbow position consistent.

Or any number of other aids that are created to help you ingrain a repeatable swing.

Dealing with the yips and all other crazy mental factors is part of this game. Anchoring the putter to the body seems like cheating to me. I cannot believe it was ever allowed and is being used today to be honest. I would have thought that in its inception the suggestion of belly putters would have been thrown out by the powers that be immediately without question. It really baffles me to be honest.

I agree with TW. They should be banned. The rule should be that no club can be anchored while swinging. Length doesn't matter, just make it a 'no anchoring' rule.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

• Administrator
Originally Posted by ApocG10

I agree with TW. They should be banned. The rule should be that no club can be anchored while swinging. Length doesn't matter, just make it a 'no anchoring' rule.

Please define "anchoring" in a way that includes belly and long putters (many of the latter don't touch anything but the hands).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

Please define "anchoring" in a way that includes belly and long putters (many of the latter don't touch anything but the hands).

Personally I have no problem with the long putters that are not anchored, so I need no such definition.  If a putter touches only the hands I have no problem with it.  It is not the length, per se, it is the non-traditional aspect of anchoring that I oppose.  Anchoring should be banned on the same basis that croquet putting was banned, IMO

Although I would also support a rule that provides that putters may not be used for measuring clublengths for any purpose under the Rules of Golf.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Completely agree with turtle. If it's just touching the hands, I'm totally ok with any length. but as soon as it anchors to your belly or sternum or anywhere else, I completely disgree with it.

watching the replay of The Memorial today. Could not believe that when they were discussing Levin's use of the long putter they stated that he did not change his wrist action as others that us the long putter. He simply uses  the handle in his belly as a pivot point and putts as if were a shorter putter.

Is this not in violation of the rules ? If so why is it allowed. .

Note: This thread is 4098 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!