IGNORED

Tiger Wants to Ban the Long Putter

brocks
Note: This thread is 4095 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by iacas

Please define "anchoring" in a way that includes belly and long putters (many of the latter don't touch anything but the hands).

Thats the thing, as long as nothing but hands are touching the club, im ok with it. But once you anchor against the stomach/chest/chin, it should be an illegal stroke.

Im no rules expert, so I dont know how the wording would need to be, but im sure you understand what im saying, if you dont necessarily agree with it.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Originally Posted by turtleback

Personally I have no problem with the long putters that are not anchored, so I need no such definition.

The way most people hold a long putter, the top is held in the left hand (for a righty) and the left hand is then held to the chest, near the sternum.    So technically, it is anchored but  it never physically touches the player's torso, like the belly putter does.    This is why just writing a rule saying the club can't touch anything but the hands does nothing to ban use of the long putter.

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by teamroper60

The way most people hold a long putter, the top is held in the left hand (for a righty) and the left hand is then held to the chest, near the sternum.    So technically, it is anchored but  it never physically touches the player's torso, like the belly putter does.    This is why just writing a rule saying the club can't touch anything but the hands does nothing to ban use of the long putter.

Then that is anchored, and we would have to trust that people who know how to write rules could do so in a non-ambiguous way.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

If u ban long putters whih ive considered in the past because if it could save a steoke a round why not use it buti use a fat super stroke putter grip it has improved my putting alot it also gives certain players a edge it completely takes my wrist out of putts its almost like using a training aid on the course my point is if tour players like jason dufner started winning alot people would want to ban those. Not everyone can use a long putter so im not sure why everyone feels its cheating when not everyone putts well with them

Originally Posted by duffedit

If u ban long putters whih ive considered in the past because if it could save a steoke a round why not use it buti use a fat super stroke putter grip it has improved my putting alot it also gives certain players a edge it completely takes my wrist out of putts its almost like using a training aid on the course my point is if tour players like jason dufner started winning alot people would want to ban those. Not everyone can use a long putter so im not sure why everyone feels its cheating when not everyone putts well with them

Using a thick grip is still using a normal golf stroke.

And nobody has mentioned that they don't like thick grips to the point where they're dodgy regarding the rules.

Many people think that the "look" of te long putters is very unathletic and reinforeces negative stereotypes about the game

The issue many people have with long putters is that it is not a traditional swing using hands and arms.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by duffedit

Then you simply have not been paying attention.  Hardly anyone has used gaining a stroke a round as a reason for banning them.  It is that they use a stroke that is not anything like a golf swing, as that term has been understood for more than a hundred years.  Just like they banned using a croquet type stroke.  And you can't lay on the green and putt using a billiard cue.  Croquet and billiards are not golf, and in the opinion of most of the people who oppose these putters, anchoring the putter against part of your body is sufficiently different to warrant banning.

Rich - in name only

Was listening to the XM PGA Tour channel and Brian K announced a rumor from a very reliable source stating that the R&A; plans to ban anchoring long / belly putters for 2016.  The USGA is not on board with the change at this time, but will make their own ruling once the R&A; announces their decision formally.

Joe Paradiso

Was listening to the XM PGA Tour channel and Brian K announced a rumor from a very reliable source stating that the R&A; plans to ban anchoring long / belly putters for 2016.  The USGA is not on board with the change at this time, but will make their own ruling once the R&A; announces their decision formally.

I realize you're just reporting what they said, but that doesn't sound right. I thought that the USGA and R&A; have acted in concert for the last several decades, at least. Surely they don't want to go back to the days where they used a different size ball to play the Open. And 2016 is the year that they play golf in the Summer Olympics. Seems like if they are going to rule on this, they should do it well before then. IMO if they don't do it by 2014, they won't do it at all.

I'm guessing it's going to be like the new groove rules, it will take effect first for the pro's then the rest of us at a later date, I'm not sure if 2016 would be the effective date for pro's or the rest of us.

Originally Posted by brocks

I realize you're just reporting what they said, but that doesn't sound right. I thought that the USGA and R&A; have acted in concert for the last several decades, at least. Surely they don't want to go back to the days where they used a different size ball to play the Open.

And 2016 is the year that they play golf in the Summer Olympics. Seems like if they are going to rule on this, they should do it well before then. IMO if they don't do it by 2014, they won't do it at all.

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator

Doc-6_9_12 4:15 PM-page-1.jpg Maybe Tiger saw this and decided enough was enough?

I don't know about you, but to me, that ain't golf.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

[URL=http://thesandtrap.com/image/id/271172] Doc-6_9_12 4:15 PM-page-1.jpg [/URL] Maybe Tiger saw this and decided enough was enough? I don't know about you, but to me, that ain't golf.

Looks like you'd need an econo van with a few white gloved delivery men to carry it to the green for you!

Dear Tiger,

Keep your hands off Webb Simpson's long putter. Get your hands on one and maybe you'll win another major.

Long Putter User

Looks like curling to me.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• 1 month later...

I know this has already been mentioned in this thread but to me the rules MUST be changed to at least ban the use of the long putter as the club used to determine a "club length" when taking relief.

I was watching Bradley at the Open measure out his two club length drop point for an unplayable lie drop and he used his long putter to allow him to get out of the hay. I don't think using the driver would have afforded him the same relief. There is CLEARLY an advantage over anyone that doesn't use a long putter.

They could simply define the max club length to be that of the driver.

I simply do not know why the R&A; / USGA has not addressed this.

I am also one that is very much in favour of banning the belly/long putters.

Originally Posted by iacas

Maybe Tiger saw this and decided enough was enough?

That looks like freekin' Curling!

In a segment with Paul Azinger on Thursday or Friday, Gary Player also expressed the opinion that they should do away with anchoring.

Rich - in name only

If you can't beat em, ban em. Nice tactic Tiger. -6

What's In My  Stand Bag

Driver:  FT-iZ 9*

Hybrids: C3 3,4,5

Irons: C3 6-GW

Wedges: C3 58*/8 and 54*/12

Putter:  blade

Ball: Gamer V2

http://cdn.thesandtrap.com/0/0d/150x50px-LL-0d81d772_tst_award_kickstarter_otm.png

Note: This thread is 4095 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!